Breakfast? Not hungry/nothing sounds good ...

Options

Replies

• Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    When I'm not hungry or nothing sounds good, I make a fruit smoothie or if I'm in a rush, I have a bowl of cereal. Both are under 300 calories and are enough to get me through until lunch. But I am not guaranteed a break at my job so like yesterday, I went in for 9 AM and couldn't eat until 2:30 PM. If I hadn't eaten before work, I would have been famished. I usually bring yogurt or almonds to snack on before lunch, but if we're busy (like we were yesterday) I don't have time to eat.
    Smoothie also works for me. I have a lot of days I can't face eating something first thing in the morning, but I can drink a fruit smoothie (after I've had some coffee, of course). I might experiment with making a coffee frozen smoothie and eat some fruit too when I get sick of my fruit smoothies, but for now, I don't have them too frequently because I quite like breakfast and I'm usually hungry in the morning now that my metabolism is revved up.

An alternative for me is a yogurt, sometimes with some nuts thrown in for texture. It's easy going down like the smoothies.
  • KirstiK12
    KirstiK12 Posts: 1
    Options
    All of the people telling you to not eat are scaring me a little. I don't believe that you should force yourself to eat, but if you don't eat beakfast you're actually going to hurt yourself in the long run. You don't have to eat immediatly when you wake up, or even eat a lot, but you need something to kick-start your metabolism.

Let me put it this way, if you don't eat little meals throughout the day, and only eat one-to-two big meals later on in the day, you are teaching your body that it needs to eat a lot at one time, and then store all of that energy for later when you won't be eating. That makes it really hard for you to loose weight; you have to burn the energy that's already stored in your body instead of using up some of your readily available energy, and then your body moving to the fat deposits you have and need to get rid of.

A lot of people are also not hungry in the morning for one of two reasons; one, they're over-tired: try catching up on some Zzz's. Or two; they ate late the night before. Try not eating 4 hours before you go to sleep and see what happens when you wake up.

You can also train your body to eat in the morning. Start out small, with a handful of strawberries/cherries, then maybe a granola bar or some high-fiber cookies. At work in the morning I like to drink my coffee with a small breakfast: a serving of fruit (cherries, raspberries, etc) and a 30g pack of Preventia cookies (high fibre, high protein, low cal, and fill you up).

Hope this helps!!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I'm never hungry and eat. Eating when I'm hungry is part of what caused me to be on this site in the first place.

I was a breakfast eater for years. Then, I stopped getting up early enough to eat. I was always in a rush. Guess what? I was getting hungrier and hungrier as lunch approached that I overate during lunch. Then, after being out in the sun all day at practice, I'd come home and overeat at dinner. Snacks before bed were necessary...as I was hungry.

Now that I've started eating breakfast again, my body start is more energized and I'm not as lethargic as I was during the day. Not by lunch time or dinner time. I'm not longer "hungry". As a matter of fact, I come home and I don't want dinner. I'm just not hungry enough to eat, but I do because the body needs the calories.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day...FOR ME. It may not be for you or for anyone else.

FOR YOU -- that's the point I was trying to make in the first place, don't hop on a message board and blindly tell people that breakfast is the most important meal of the day based on your personal experience.

Honestly, if you go from NOT hungry to out right ravenous, you're likely missing/ignoring more subtle hunger cues. For lots of people, how they gained weight was eating when they didn't need to (ie when they were NOT HUNGRY) and their brains stopped interpreting hunger cues correctly. Welcome to the foundation of emotional eating.

It's great you can eat when you are not hungry, a lot of people cannot do that without physically getting sick.

I'm not trying to pick on you or be rude, I'm just saying that all these "rules" (ONLY CLEAN FOODS, NO EATING AFTER 7 PM, YOU MUST EAT BREAKFAST TO GET YOUR FURNACE BURNING) for losing weight are likely what causes people to fail at long term lifestyle changes.
  • Cougarita65
    Cougarita65 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I love to have a pear ,apple, & a banana with a tablespoon of either sliced almond or walnuts, it's like a dessert,I peal the skin off everything,I hate skin...lol. Btw, Eating good fats such as nuts help you get rid of the bad fats your body stores. Hope you helped.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    All of the people telling you to not eat are scaring me a little. I don't believe that you should force yourself to eat, but if you don't eat beakfast you're actually going to hurt yourself in the long run. You don't have to eat immediatly when you wake up, or even eat a lot, but you need something to kick-start your metabolism.

Let me put it this way, if you don't eat little meals throughout the day, and only eat one-to-two big meals later on in the day, you are teaching your body that it needs to eat a lot at one time, and then store all of that energy for later when you won't be eating. That makes it really hard for you to loose weight; you have to burn the energy that's already stored in your body instead of using up some of your readily available energy, and then your body moving to the fat deposits you have and need to get rid of.

A lot of people are also not hungry in the morning for one of two reasons; one, they're over-tired: try catching up on some Zzz's. Or two; they ate late the night before. Try not eating 4 hours before you go to sleep and see what happens when you wake up.

You can also train your body to eat in the morning. Start out small, with a handful of strawberries/cherries, then maybe a granola bar or some high-fiber cookies. At work in the morning I like to drink my coffee with a small breakfast: a serving of fruit (cherries, raspberries, etc) and a 30g pack of Preventia cookies (high fibre, high protein, low cal, and fill you up).

Hope this helps!!

How is it hurting anyone in the long run? Maybe you lose weight slower -- but it's not like skipping breakfast because you are not at all hungry is going to stop weight loss or cause you to gain in and of itself. What hurts in the long run is attempting lifestyle changes that do not work for your body.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options

FOR YOU -- that's the point I was trying to make in the first place, don't hop on a message board and blindly tell people that breakfast is the most important meal of the day based on your personal experience.

How dare you tell me what to do and not to do. I will blindly tell people that breakfast IS the most important meal of the day. I don't care if it's based on my own personal experience or not.

BTW - breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Just for the record: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! I even closed my eyes when I typed this because I wanted to make sure I said it "blindly".
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Diet induced thermogenesis is based on calorie total and macronutrient composition. It is not frequency based. Consequently, breakfast does NOT kickstart your metabolism.

All that matters is that over the course of time, fat oxidation exceeds fat storage. This occurs as long as the individual eats at a calorie deficit regardless of meal size and frequency .
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

How dare you tell me what to do and not to do. I will blindly tell people that breakfast IS the most important meal of the day. I don't care if it's based on my own personal experience or not.

BTW - breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Just for the record: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! I even closed my eyes when I typed this because I wanted to make sure I said it "blindly".

BREAKING NEWS: EATING BREAKFAST ALSO MAKES YOU A COMEDIAN!:laugh:
  • mommab23k
    mommab23k Posts: 35
    Options
    I personally try not to wait until I'm "hungry" to eat. When I do, I tend to grab quick to eat stuff and unless I've taken the time to prepare stuff in advance or have bought "healthy convenience" food (which I'm trying not to do) I end up eating stuff I'd rather not eat and tend to overeat too. It's a trigger for me, I recognize it and avoid it now. I actually like taking the time to prepare food for myself, exactly the way I want it. Doing that when I'm not ravenous allows me to take my time and make really good food that isn't prepared in haste. At breakfast time, that is especially true. My favorite b'fast is oatmeal with plain greek yogurt over the top and then covered in fruit (peaches, berries, bananas, apples, etc). It's about 400 calories in all, but it keeps me full until lunch w/no snacking and it's nutritionally dense and cheap too.

I am of the school of thought to keep your body fueled at all times, not just eat when you are running on empty. Again, for me it works and it's just my opinion. Another thing that helps me eat breakfast everyday is that I work out first thing in the morning (5:30-6:30), so by the time it's breakfast time I am ready to eat.
  • cunfewzed1
    cunfewzed1 Posts: 80
    Options

Diet induced thermogenesis is based on calorie total and macronutrient composition. It is not frequency based. Consequently, breakfast does NOT kickstart your metabolism.

All that matters is that over the course of time, fat oxidation exceeds fat storage. This occurs as long as the individual eats at a calorie deficit regardless of meal size and frequency .

worth quoting/repeating.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

worth quoting/repeating.

And again! Thank you!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

:flowerforyou:
  • MrsLeibas
    MrsLeibas Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback! It's nice to hear everyone's opinion and I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Hearing all those opinions helps one to formulate their own. :)

That being said I was looking for advice because I'm diabetic (type I, have had it since I was 13 years old) and completely skipping breakfast isn't really an option for me.

All of your suggestions are helpful! Thanks!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I just want to throw this out there for the people who are writing things like "ZOMG I BINGE WHEN I GET TO THE POINT THAT I FEEL HUNGRY!"

If you go from not hungry (0) to starving -- so hungry you can't help but binge(10) --you are maybe ignoring more subtle hunger cues. For me, hunger initially feels like a light tingle in my stomach, almost like a nervous/excited feeling -- not stomach growling -- just a tickle feeling and a bit more saliva production. When I feel that -- I know it's time to eat. If I wanted maybe 2 hours from that point, I'd be starving.

I'm not arguing breakfast is wrong, do whatever works for you -- but what is important is learning to pay attention to your body.
  • ifonly49
    ifonly49 Posts: 8
    Options
    It is important to eat something in the morning whether this be breakfast or even just a plain simple biscuit.
    Your body will have been on an approx 8 hour starvation and needs fuel to energise it again and get the metabolism in to gear. The body will protect its self before anything else and if it feels that you are going to starve yourself it will hang on to your body fat..... By eating in the morning you will actually prevent yourself from over eating at the end of the day... Rule of thumb is to have allowed something past your lips by no later than 10am.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It jump starts your metabolism and gets your body in gear. Now...with that being said, eat something. ANYTHING!
    Myth. Eating has NO EFFECT on your overall metabolism.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat anything more than a couple blueberries/raspberries/some type of berry, like a small handful, and a coffee for breakfast. If you're not hungry you don't have to eat. I think fruit is good in the morning though, it energizes me.
  • tigersword
    Options
    It is important to eat something in the morning whether this be breakfast or even just a plain simple biscuit.
    Your body will have been on an approx 8 hour starvation and needs fuel to energise it again and get the metabolism in to gear. The body will protect its self before anything else and if it feels that you are going to starve yourself it will hang on to your body fat..... By eating in the morning you will actually prevent yourself from over eating at the end of the day... Rule of thumb is to have allowed something past your lips by no later than 10am.
    It takes 72-96 hours of complete fasting to have any negative effect on your metabolism. Using your argument, the human race race would NOT exist, as it wasn't until about 200 years ago that people started eating more than one meal a day, 99.99% of human existence was based on eating one large meal every day or every other day. To think that skipping breakfast will have any kind of detrimental effect on health shows a complete lack of understanding of human biology and physiology.
  • tigersword
    Options

This, if you eat 1500 calories in a day, it doesn't matter how many meals you break them down into, it's still 1500 calories. The body still burns the 1500 calories from food, and the rest from fat stores. The only thing that changes is WHEN the body burns fat. Eating more often causes the body the burn less fat during the day, because you constantly have food in your system, so burn most of your fat overnight. Eating less often during the day, means you burn more fat during the day between meals. Either way, the net result is identical.
  • cberridge1987
    Options
    I'm the same, I get up at half 5 for work, it's an hours drive and I have to be there for half 7, so I leave about 15 minutes early, and have started taking some cereal and milk in separate containers, and have my breakfast just before I start work. I find after I've been awake a couple of hours, I'm quite hungry.