Body By Vi for teenage step-daughters?

Options
drcain
drcain Posts: 59 Member
My 17 and 15 year old step-daughters both have a weight problem and were recently at their aunt's house and saw her drinking the Body By Vi shakes. Their aunt lost 5 pounds in her first week so now my step-daughters are nagging me to spend the $100/month each for the shakes. I told them no. I asked both of them to join this website and to track their intake for the month of July and then we will revisit the idea. Here is my reasoning...(please let me know what you think)

1. They have no concept as to their current daily calorie intake or what a true serving size is according to the package label.
2. They refuse to do any form of exercise except for leisurely swimming in our pool once a week. The 17yo refuses to walk around the neighborhood since she thinks that people will see her. I have even told her to just take the dogs for a walk so it appears that she has a "reason" to walk and again, she refuses. She claims that she will wait until she gets her license and a car and then will pay for a gym membership (which is silly since I have offered to take her with me and pay for her membership already).
3. I have heard decent things about the shakes but fear that they will just gain any weight back when we can no longer afford them or when they get sick of drinking them.
4. I don't see them both bringing a shake with them to the high school cafeteria for their lunch when their buddies are eating cheeseburgers and fries...but don't get me wrong, I would prefer that they drink a shake over what the cafeteria has to offer.
5. They both just want the "lose weight fast" tactic and have asked me in the past about diet pills, etc.
6. I just can't afford an additional $200/mo to my grocery budget since I don't see my normal grocery bill going down that drastically by them drinking the shakes.

They both claim that this is the only way that they are willing to consider weight loss since they view it as a lose weight fast tactic. The 15yo hasn't been home yet this week since we have had this conversation but the 17yo has been and she hasn't changed her eating ways at all this week. Two cheeseburgers and a handful of waffle fries for dinner followed by a bowl of ice cream for dessert. Yes I know that it is up to us as her parents to provide healthier food options and I did. I made grilled BBQ chicken breasts as well with veggies but she picked the burgers and fries that her dad was having (who doesn't have a weight problem and is extremely active).

I feel like I am in a hard situation as I want what is best for the girls by them losing weight but they hate when I mention anything that has to do with them losing weight or making better food choices. I guess I would feel more inclined to figure something out so that I could afford the shakes if I knew that they have already been trying to lose weight by normal calorie tracking and exercise. But when they haven't, I don't feel like this would be a good option for them at this point in time.

Is there another way to approach this with them that I am just not seeing in my biased viewpoint?

BTW - The 17yo is 5' tall and probably 180lbs. The 15yo is about 4' 6" tall (they are both short because of genetics...mom is only 4' 8" and also overweight) and I think 135lbs.

Replies

• missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for your daughters. I was overweight as a teenager/young adult and it wasn't until I went to college that I decided once and for all that I wanted to be a normal weight. I'm 32 now, and have maintained a normal weight and have stayed a size 6 all these years. I had to do a total overhaul of my diet. And I worked out and still work out daily.

I love the body by vi shakes. I bought the whole "program" but I don't take all those vitamins/pills and energy drinks. The protein powder is great. I have the sweet creme flavor and make myself a shake for either breakfast or lunch or sometimes a snack.

I'm not an expert, but from my experience, just drinking the body by vi shakes without a change in diet and adding exercise won't do much. I started losing weight (age 18) by cutting out all soda, fast food, beer, and fried food in the beginning. Now I eat a healthy diet and don't even think about having a burger or fries.

Good luck!! Like I said earlier, I feel bad because I was once in the same situation.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Is there another way to approach this with them that I am just not seeing in my biased viewpoint?

There are other options

Go to your local health food shop and by your own powdered shakes - get a couple of big tubs, 2 different flavours. Tell them that you have researched the diet and can do the same thing yourselves

With your help and encouragement and a meal/snack or two replaced by a protein shake, as well as the other changes that you can initiate once they have started (healthier eating and some exercise) they will also lose weight and your own powdered health food shop shakes will cost a quarter of the price and will serve exactly the same purpose
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I think you're on the right track! Those shakes are great...BUT if they think they are going to drink them for a meal and eat whatever else they want nothing will happen. I like your idea that if they can track what they eat for a month then the shakes can be their reward type thing. It sounds like they want the easy way out right now and it's not like you aren't offering to help them!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You are right.....they need to learn about nutrition, calories, etc. The shakes will do nothing but placate them for a small period of time and they will go back to their old eating habits.

My only other suggestion is this: Talk to their dad and tell him that the food you fix just for him is going to have to go away. You are not setting a great example that he gets to eat what he wants, but anyone with a weight problem has to eat "diet" food. Instead, prepare meals the whole family can have together (and include re-vamped favories once in a while....homemade pizza, lean burgers with wheat buns and sweet potato fries, etc).
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    My 17 and 15 year old step-daughters both have a weight problem and were recently at their aunt's house and saw her drinking the Body By Vi shakes. Their aunt lost 5 pounds in her first week so now my step-daughters are nagging me to spend the $100/month each for the shakes. I told them no. I asked both of them to join this website and to track their intake for the month of July and then we will revisit the idea.
    They cannot join this site because you have to be 18. Maybe advise them to join Sparkteens.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like they are looking for a quick fix, which will just end to a rebound eventually, even if it does work. I agree with the sparkteens suggestion, and increasing activity. At their young ages I would be afraid to start them on the road of yo-yo dieting with something like the shake system.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    How about buy them the shakes if they can spend four weeks with better nutritional habits?
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    You are right.....they need to learn about nutrition, calories, etc. The shakes will do nothing but placate them for a small period of time and they will go back to their old eating habits.

My only other suggestion is this: Talk to their dad and tell him that the food you fix just for him is going to have to go away. You are not setting a great example that he gets to eat what he wants, but anyone with a weight problem has to eat "diet" food. Instead, prepare meals the whole family can have together (and include re-vamped favories once in a while....homemade pizza, lean burgers with wheat buns and sweet potato fries, etc).

Agree with this comment. Plus it sounds as if they don't really want to put in the hard work. The shakes aren't going to make the weight fall off. If anything, it will make them hungrier b/c they will drink them and find they aren't necessarily satisfied. Like the suggestion of revamping the food. They need to be educated about nutrition. However, at this age kids don't really want to listen. Try to get them to join MFP. $200 is too much to invest in something they will most likely not stick with. Plus, as you noted taking shakes to school is unrealistic and not likely to happen.
  • Jeepjenn2
    Jeepjenn2 Posts: 7
    Options
    I did the body by vi shakes, and they are not worth the money! How do you expect to go back to eating regular meals afterwards, when you havent learned anything about nutritian or portion size?

Each person is different, but i didnt find it worth the money at all!
  • jodee97
    jodee97 Posts: 1
    Options
    Before I make a choice to give-up some type of something I always ask, "Can I do this the rest of my life?" Some things are ok, but most times the answer is typically no. I think it's awesome that you're being proactive in them learning the right ways to battle the bulge & I think tracking calories is the best way to do that. I was shocked at my caloric intake when I started on here--shocked at how many empty calories I drank each day. I've tried tons of quick fixes & they only prolong the real issues--the issues always resurface. I think your suggestion is great & I hope it helps them.
  • Dreamerryu27
    Dreamerryu27 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    You know if it were me, If they have cell phones download the MFP app. If they are serious they need to learn to eat what they like in moderation as well as exercise. I would tell them try that for a month everyday and log every bite. I think this will teach them to become conscientious. Also if they like to dance see if you have a Zumba class local. Teenagers love it! I know I do :)
  • southernsweetie1978
    southernsweetie1978 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine recently gave me her Body By Vi shake powder because she had low blood sugar and can't use it. I tried it last night and it's okay but I definitely can't picture your teenagers wanting to drink these things twice a day as their meal. It's good for maybe a snack but they are only 90 calories plus if you use the milk instead of 1% it's a little more but I feel you are better off eating real food and counting your calories. I will be drinking one for a snack every day to give me extra protein but I'm not going to use it as my main way to lose weight.
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    body by vi is expensive, but some people swear by it. really, it's just replacing 2 meals with low cal shakes. buy some good quality whey protien, some greens+ and some multi vitamins. you'll have the same effect.

your plan is a good one.

edit: also, i'm sure there are plenty of under 18 people on here, it's not that hard to says your 18. I think getting them logging would be a great start.
  • JessicaMarie9382
    Options
    I think you are most definately right in not buying the skakes. I had the shakes and loved them and they worked great, BUT I also changed the way I ate, I work out at least 3 times a week for an hour, I don't drink pop, etc. I am stopping my monthly supply of shakes and joining weight-watchers. It's cheaper, have you concidered that? I think it's only like $40 a month. That would only be an extra 100 a month as a opposed to 200.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    It seems like teenagers need to learn the value of a calorie as much as the value of a dollar these days. They want everything right now, but losing weight takes hard work and commitment, which you can't give them. It's great that you are taking steps to help, but if they don't make the right choices a shake or a gym membership isn't going to fix things. If they want to lose the weight bad enough, they don't need those things. I have a gym membership but 90% of my weight loss is happening outside of the gym and all I do is make smarter choices and watch portion size. It seems like either they should find a way to earn the money themselves or they should make a commitment first (either one month of logging their food or they have to lose 10 lbs the old fashioned way or something to that affect) to earn it. If they can show that sort of determination, then maybe you can feel good about cutting down the grocery bill enough.

I am not a parent, but I work with a bunch of teenagers and see every day how quickly they lose interest in things. They say they are eating healthy that day and then an hour later go on break and eat about 1000 calories or more of fast food in one sitting. Plus, my mom was a hard *kitten* and made us earn everything we wanted so we'd appreciate it. Might be an idea......
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    "They both claim that this is the only way that they are willing to consider weight loss since they view it as a lose weight fast tactic."

They don't seem to want to lose weight if they refuse to try other methods...Time for a reality check for the girls...I'm 21 now & If I ever told my mother I refused to do something she'd hand my *kitten* to me! Lol. Your daughters have to make the change for themselves, which they obviously aren't willing to do...hopefully they'll join the website & become more educated on nutrition & weight loss.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. As soon as they stop using VI they will go to their old ways. They need to learn proper nutrition and exercise for the long run. Plus it is very pricy, you can get it on Amazon and not become a distributor. I use Vi as extra protein but am still leaning to eat a Plant base diet.
  • wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    The truth is the shakes does not make them lose weight, its the calorie deficit that does. If they drank the shakes everyday and were way over their calories, they will put on the weight.

Your first suggestion about then joining a fitness website, tracking calories and exercising is the best thing you can do for them. Make them understand that you are willing to track and exercise with them on their journey. Rather than get the shakes, make grocery shopping all about healthy foods with a few treats for cheat days.

Finally offer them an incentive beyond health to lose weight. For instance, tell them that if they lose a certain amount, they get something special, and you or them can decide what that special thing is within limits of course. Nothing expensive. This can be a trend for every say 10lbs or 15lbs they lose. At the end of the day, not only will they take control of their weight, but they will also be able to sustain and maintain their new healthy bodies. I honestly dont think getting them the shakes is the best option. Nothing good comes easy.

Best of luck
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Firstly, kids should not need to track caloric intake. In the past before the obesity epidemic they did not need to, and they don't need to now. Low or Very Low Caloric Diets will only stunt growth and cause them to not want to diet. They don't wan't to exercise because they are over weight. Studies have proven that children get fat first, then stop being active.

Secondly, the reason kids get fat is the same reason we get fat. They become insulin insensitive (the hormone that controls blood sugar and fat storage) and their other hormones such as Ghrelin (the hunger hormone) and Leptin (the feel full hormone) are not working correctly because of the bad diet. AKA, they eat to much bread, sugar and grains while not getting enough dietary fats. When their diet is corrected, their hormones will fix themselves and they will eat less naturally resulting in weightloss. This needs to start in the home with some education.

Third, don't shove a high carb, low calorie diet down their throats. They will hate it and won't stick to it while being depressed from the pressure on them. Feed them a high fat moderate protein diet and their hormones will get back under control and they will be at a deficit and lose the weight.

Fourth, as a parent, I appreciate you not wanting to have fat children, but you must educate yourselves on how the body works and what is good for it. I hope I inspired you to go some googleing with some keywords I posted here.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    My sisters are 15 and 17.. =( They don't have weight problems but my younger ones do.. I have been overweight my entire life. It is heartbreaking =(

Honestly..they need a wake up call. Take them to the Dr. and have him/her tell them straight forward what problems are gonna come from their weight. Have the Dr. explain that the shakes are not going to help them and the only way to keep the health problems away are a healthy diet and exercise! Weight loss doesn't happen by drinking shakes, taking pills, or what ever else they see on the commercials or w/e. It sounds to me like they are just being lazy! It will be a good lesson for them to have to do this the hard way and they will thank you for it later on.
    Technically this site is only for people 18+ but I think if you helped them make profiles and watched their friends and prepared their meals.. you should sign them up! I'll add them both. =)
    Add me too!!