Mental tricks to stop you from falling off the wagon

Options
Does anyone use any psychological tricks to keep them on the straight and narrow?

As an example: a factor in starting my diet was a particular picture of myself that was taken a few days before I started. It horrified me. I keep that pic on my phone so whenever I feel myself drifting I take a quick look at it.

A successful personal trainer friend recently told me that there is only one thing you need to lose weight and that's discipline. He said we all know what we need to do to lose weight yet the weak link is our mental attitude. He pointed out the vast number of fad diets out there to support this.

So does anyone have any tips or tricks they use to beat down that little voice in your head that demands beer and pizza? What keeps you going when you feel like throwing in the towel?

Replies

• rmarshalla
    rmarshalla Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I live by this quote (have it written on my bathroom mirror, on my lock screen of my phone, on post-it notes all around the house). I know it's simple but it actually does the trick for me.

"Never trade what you want the MOST for what you want at the MOMENT."

:)
    Hope that helps!

I also like: "You cannot plow a field by turning it over in your mind."
  • BeccaShel
    BeccaShel Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you for sharing...needed this today!!!
  • JlSimon22
    JlSimon22 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I once read someones idea that they wait 24 hours after their craving and if they are still having it, then they will indulge a little, but most often than not, your craving is gone-
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I still go by "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels". I really do believe this. I feel so good since I have lost my weight, that I look at junk food as the enemy!!!!
  • Spankymonkey79
    Options
    @ rmarshalla.

I REALLLY like that quote. Think I'll start using it too.
  • rmarshalla
    rmarshalla Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    @ rmarshalla.

I REALLLY like that quote. Think I'll start using it too.

Hooray! It's a good one, right?! :) Made a big difference in my attitude and I've been TOTALLY on track with diet and exercise for 38 days straight now, much thanks to that little reminder.

Good luck and work hard!