mountain bike camping

Options
I am planning my first mountain bike camping trip this weekend. I have all the gear that I would need for the trip however, when I was getting my mountain bike ready to carry my gear I realized the I do not have frame mounts to place a rack on my bike. Since I will be carrying more than 30 pounds of gear for a 3 day trip, a seat post rack will not cut it.

Has anyone ever done mountain bike camping and how did you carry your gear?
Any suggestions on how I can carry my gear other then my backpack, since I will already have my camel-back with three bladders?

Replies

• cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Anyone?

I don't have an answer but am fascinated... I carry loads of stuff on my hybrid's rack, of course.

Have you visited your local bike shop and asked if they have a suggestion?
  • cyclerjenn
    Options
    Not yet, the shop was closed yesterday when I was getting my gear together. I will stop by on my way home from work.
  • Wimpey
    Wimpey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Has your MTB got a rear suspension? If so you are very limited!

If not, it is possible to adapt the rear end with P clips welded on it to take a normal rack...

Not the most sturdy of racks but may be ok depending on how extreme your ride will be... though I assume if you are planning to take that much luggage you are not thinkin of jumping off rocks and the like?!

May be try to limit what you take as well, and some heavier items can be strapped on to the frame (with a triangle bag) or on a handlebar bag (though this may affect a bit handling, but if you are already carrying stuff on the rack...)

Have great fun!
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've only done a two-day / one-night mtn bike trip so I carried my hammock and gear on my back. I do have a pal that did the Appalachian Trail on his mtn bike pulling a little bike trailer. But he was on the trails for ~1-2 weeks before restocking so that's probably overkill.
  • bharriscar
    bharriscar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've seen the packs that somehow hang at about the axle height on either side of the wheel - not sure how they attach? Could you hang gear off the frame top bar or would it interfere with your legs.
  • cyclerjenn
    Options
    Has your MTB got a rear suspension? If so you are very limited!

Yes Full Suspension 29er.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Hmm, do you have attachment points on the front, by any chance? I don't know if I've seen too many mountain bikes capable of taking gear loads, they tend (like road bikes) to be built more for single-purpose riding, and especially with the suspension built into a lot of them attachment points become difficult or impossible.

Long shot, but can your hybrid handle wider, more aggressive tires, and would that cut it? I have a Specialized Sirrus which is a hybrid bike with road-leaning tendencies, but I think I could still get decent mountain tires on there if I really had a mind to. Might require some adjustment of the brake calipers and pad locations.

On the other hand, I fed a twig into the rear derailleur on the road a couple of months ago and destroyed it, so a hybrid might be less than ideal...
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    I've only done frame mounts. Definitely the stop by the bike shop since new products seem to come out daily in today's world.

Good luck finding a solution.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Another possibility is a seat-post rack if your bike can accommodate it for some of the load, a handlebar mount for a little more, and a comfortable backpack for the rest. Maybe 10 pounds in the seat-post rack (check the limits carefully), 5 pounds in the handlebars, and you'd only have to take the remaining 15-20 pounds in a pack.

They also make packs that are designed to fit "inside the triangle" of the frame that can hold some gear, you might be able to fit miscellaneous stuff in there and cut the pack load a bit without interfering with your legs.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Yes I have and you need to visit this site: http://www.revelatedesigns.com/
  • cyclerjenn
    Options
    Yes I have and you need to visit this site: http://www.revelatedesigns.com/

Cool thanks. I will check out these bags.