Perhaps a silly question about chicken

Options
SGreen134
SGreen134 Posts: 136 Member
I am making a slow cooker chicken dish for dinner. It calls for chicken pieces with skin and bone. I will cook it this way (with skin) however I will not eat the skin so when I log my calories, I can log chicken without skin, correct?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Replies

• SGreen134
    Options
    <crickets>
  • NomNomCupcakes
    NomNomCupcakes Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    When I eat chicken I also remove the skin. I usually search "Generic" chicken (leg whole, thigh whole, etc). There are some skinless entries. Hope that helps :)
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I would remove the skin anyway. Otherwise your meat is basting in all that fat and you would need to include it in your calorie intake.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I would remove the skin anyway. Otherwise your meat is basting in all that fat and you would need to include it in your calorie intake.

Geez there is NOTHING wrong with the fat. Oh brother, fat is NOT the enemy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you remove the skin before eating, you should not count it.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I would just enjoy a bit of the skin but if you are going to remove it after...you might save a bit on fat but I really don't think it wl make a big difference in calories etc for logging purposes
  • SGreen134
    Options
    THANK YOU very much...I just wanted to be sure I was doing it correctly!
  • SGreen134
    Options

Agree!
  • GaglianiGirl
    Options
    It doesn't really matter if fat is the enemy or not,nit was a logging question. I agree that if it cooks in the fat, wheather or not it's good or bad, she would need to log it somehow.

I would leave the skin off if I didn't plan to eat it. I'm sure it won't ruin the recipe.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options

If you are trying to limit your saturated fat intake, then removing the skin is one way to cut back. There are good fats and bad fats. Chicken fat is in the latter category.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Chicken fat is not as high in saturated fat as darker meats. It's still the same number of calories, though. Having the meat basting in "all that fat" will keep the meat moist and tender. Our bodies need fat so you don't want to cut it out completely.
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    LOL I thought this said a silly question about children!!!! I wouldn't recommend putting them in a crock pot!!! ;-)
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I would just enjoy a bit of the skin but if you are going to remove it after...you might save a bit on fat but I really don't think it wl make a big difference in calories etc for logging purposes

I don't think so either, and you'll have the flavor withOUT the fat.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

If you are trying to limit your saturated fat intake, then removing the skin is one way to cut back. There are good fats and bad fats. Chicken fat is in the latter category.

The lipid hypothesis has been debunked. There is nothing wrong with saturated fat with the exception of a small group of high responders with a family history of cholesterol issues. For the rest of us, dietary fat and cholesterol have littlle to no relationship to serum cholesterol. Additionally, saturated fat combined with high intensity exercise boosts HDL cholesterol which has a postive effect on cardiac health. Bottom line is, for the vast majority of the population, there is no need to limit saturated fat. There is a lot of research related info available on line regarding the lipid hypothesis.
  • NomNomCupcakes
    NomNomCupcakes Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    LOL I thought this said a silly question about children!!!! I wouldn't recommend putting them in a crock pot!!! ;-)

Lmaooo
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

I read an article a few years ago that said research suggests otherwise. Unfortunately, I do not have a cite.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If I'm cooking with it and not sure, I would include it to be safe, but not worry too much about it.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Lmaooo

I thought the same thing... :)
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I would cook them with skin cause it would be dry otherwise. Or if you are totally against skin could add broth to crockpot to keep moist. If I didn't eat it I wouldn't log it.
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    p.s. to answer the question about the chicken, and not the children, I wouldn't worry about logging in the fat. I make chicken soup all the time, you the skin and marrow from the bones to flavor the soup. If you don't it's very very bland and you end up having to add lot's of salt, which is not the same or as good. yes, throw away the skin off of your portion before you eat.

Enjoy you chicken, and your children! ;-)