Please don't make me go to the gym...

Options
I just can't seem to stick to the gym routine. I'll do good for a week or two but it just gets too boring for me or I start comparing myself to the people who are in better shape than me and give up. I was wondering what outdoor activities people enjoy to get their cardio in every day.

PS - Before everyone fusses at me about the extreme importance of strength training - I understand I need to incorporate strength training into my program. I"m just starting my "final" weight loss adventure and want to ease my way into a lasting exercise routine. Baby steps (cardio then strength)

Replies

• JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    When I go the gym, I don't spend any more than 15 minutes on one machine. I decide how long I want to do cardio (20-30 min), then I'll break it up between a couple machines (stairclimber, bike, treadmil, elliptical) plus I generally do intervals as well. It keeps me in my work out and keeps me from getting bored as well as preventing my body from adapting as quickly.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I avoid the gym as much as possible too, :embarassed: but love to run outside. :drinker:

There are a lot of beginning running programs that you could check out. :smile:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I just can't seem to stick to the gym routine. I'll do good for a week or two but it just gets too boring for me or I start comparing myself to the people who are in better shape than me and give up. I was wondering what outdoor activities people enjoy to get their cardio in every day.

PS - Before everyone fusses at me about the extreme importance of strength training - I understand I need to incorporate strength training into my program. I"m just starting my "final" weight loss adventure and want to ease my way into a lasting exercise routine. Baby steps (cardio then strength)

I hate the gym! I bike ride and walk alot! I also use the Biggest Loser DVDs alternating with the Sculpting and Cardio weekly. They incorporate strength training in both videos and it is fun yet painful.:laugh: Those DVDs are the best money I have ever spent! I'm also planning to start couch to 5k very soon! Walk Away the Pounds is great video also if you can't get out because of the weather.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I bike ride. I love it. I'm actually bikeless right now and waiting for the new one to arrive (if they would ever ship the stupid thing). I have a gym membership, but I can't seem to find the motivation to go to the gym to do my cardio until the new bike gets here. It is just so boring. I also walk a mile during my lunch break everyday. I go outside if I can, but we also have an indoor path that was mapped by the Heart Association's Start! program.

And yes, strength training is important. I won't fuss at you for not going now, but I would encourage you to start soon. Usually my husband and I ride for an hour or so and then go to the gym for a quick strength training session.
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love just walking/running in my neighborhood. I have 9 cardio playlists on my Ipod that are each an hour long. I'll go until I hit the middle song in the playlist, and then turn around and start heading back torward home. This way you don't even need to look at your watch.

I also take jazzercise dance classes in my area, which are SO much fun and are a great workout. They do 30 minutes of cardio (you can modify for high or low impact) and then 30 minutes of mild resistance training and stretching. Jazzercise is a national organization, so there might be one in your area!

I also love getting on my bike and riding through my neighborhood, or finding local trails and going for a hike.

I think that many people who *think* they loathe exercise really just hate the GYM and not the exercise. Good for you for being able to see the difference and thinking outside of the box!

I also think that when people go to the gym, they get used to doing the exact same thing each time... same machine, same weights, etc. I used to go through phases of being very commited to exercising for couple weeks, and then I would stop. I think this was because I was getting bored. Getting out of the gym and varying my routine has really helped keep me interested and enjoying exercise this time around. Good luck to you!!
  • samxoxos
    Options
    you should try pilates! its great you tone your whole body and its really fun too! I am not a morning person at all... i usually sleep in till about 11 but i have been doing pilates 3-4 days a week for the past 3 weeks(getting up at 7 for 8 classes!!) and i am compleatly energized for the whole day! I am actualy so excited to get up in the mornings to go to class that my body wakes up all on its own! I am so much more flexable and i have abs after only 3 weeks!!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I love the gym...but I also ride my bike, do lane swimming and walk with my walking group
  • sleepl8s
    Options
    I find that tennis is a great outdoor exercise. It's a game so the time passes super fast and you do a lot of short sprints in different directions so it challenges your body and muscles in ways the gym can't.
  • stacey76
    stacey76 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    When I worked 3rd shift it worked out great to go to the gym at 7:30am with only about 5 people in there but then my schedule changed and I hated going when everyone else was in there, I to compare myself to all the skinny, in shape girls in there and the guys checking them out. So I stopped going. I found a treadmill at an estate sale for $5.00 and just been on that as much as possible before work. I now work until 9:30pm and there's a 24 hour fitness club on the way home that I'm thinking about checking out. The doors lock after 9pm and so I would have a membership key to get in and there is few if any people in there that late.....sounds good to me!
  • licia67
    licia67 Posts: 109
    Options

I suggest that you look into Beachbody programs, they have an extensive line of products designed to be used at home, they incorporate both cardio and strength training along with having great nutrition reccomendations.
    These are the products that I have used faithfully for the past two years and have achieved great success, best of all I am not at the gym comparing myself to others as I used to do...Oh, and the support forums are awesome!

Do some research and find what will work best for your lifestyle.
  • Demetria
    Options
    Going to the gym isn't your only option. I ride my bike every morning before that I walked around the neighborhood and I use exercise videos when the weather is bad out. As far as strength training goes, again, you have more options than just the gym. There are items in your house that you could use for weights and your own body weight is good too. Check the local library for videos and or books on how to work out at home. I don't really care to go to the gym. That just adds more time just driving to and from it that I would rather use doing something else.

hth,
    Demetria
  • debtdummy
    Options
    i love the gym, its so fun, just go and watch other people while u are on machines its fun to people watch