help! new mom looking for support and motivation!

Options
I am a new mom trying to lose the last 10-15 lbs of baby weight. I am in need of ppl to help motivate and support myself and vice versa. Eating rightis hard when chasing a 9 month old boy and 7 yr old step-daughter and trying to keep the house in order. Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• mommab23k
    mommab23k Posts: 35
    Options
    Welcome! I am a mom to a 9, 7 and 5 year old. I understand how busy you can get.

Making time for yourself is always easier said than done. What I've started doing is working for me and my family. Might not work for you, but this is what I do.

1. exercise early morning, before the kids get up. i know a 9 mo old gets up early, so if he/she isn't in a established sleeping pattern yet (mine wern't at that age), then do the best you can. I get up at 5:20 every morning to walk, and am out an hour. If your hubby is home in the am, could he get up w/the baby for the last 15-20 minutes of your workout if baby wakes up? also, work out outside of the home if you can, you won't feel guilty if you hear baby crying and won't be tempted to cut workout short. trust me on this, i know from experience.

2. cook for yourself. don't eat what the kids eat, unless you want to make them what you are eating. snacking on kids food, finishing up their plates, having "snacky" meals, all can be counterproductive. make youself food that is just for you. cut up fruit/veg in advance and have in fridge, batch cook extra portions of meals and freeze for you later, cook small hot meals from scratch just for you. make the time to eat well, you are worth it. don't rely solely on pre-packaged foods and convenience foods, it's expensive and you grab here and there, you can end up eating more than you thought. take the time to cook, weigh and measure stuff out. it's a lifestyle change, even when you are done losing the weight you'll need to maintain it, so you want to make changes that'll stick long term.

3. feed yourself with stuff other than food. craft, journal, garden, read a book, whatever you like to do. i know you are busy, i really do. take ten minutes to water the garden, take 10 minutes to make a card for a friend, write on your personal journal/blog. you would be surprised how just a few moments here and there make such a difference. you can fit in 10 minutes 3 times a day WAY easier than 30 minutes straight at a time each day. try not to spend it in front of the computer, it's such a time zapper and if you are like me you spend your time reading and researching what you SHOULD be doing and what others do that you don't. it's so counterproductive and it's a road to nothing but guilt and stinkin' thinkin!

4. And lastly, as a VERY wise woman once said, "Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the walk while it's still snowing." (Phyllis Diller). Lower your expectations on yourself. Clean homes are important, but happy Mommies that love their babies and enjoy being with them are more important! If you are worried that your hubby won't like your new approach to housecleaning, then talk to him. What is most important to him? What doesn't matter? Communicate to him how you need to make more balance and work to figure out what will meet both of your needs. Trust me, a spotless floor that is mopped every 3 days never raised a better child. A happy mother who was able to make time to feed herself well, rest when needed, exercise to get out stress and a happy marriage will raise a better child.