I'm not hungry enough to eat my calories

Options
Bding123
Bding123 Posts: 19 Member
I've been reading up a lot about eating more to lose more and it all seems to make sense to me. My only issue is that I generally eat at meal times and when I'm hungry (I listen to my body), but that NEVER amounts to more than 1,200 calories even when I exercise. Even though I don't feel hungry am I still sending my body into starvation mode? Should I make myself eat more?

Replies

• sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    make better calorie choices like avocado, nuts, peanut butter.....
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I heard from a lot of people that you really can't get into starvation mode from eating that many calories over a short period of time. I did hear that it slows down your metabolism meaning it will most likely take longer for you to lose weight compared to someone eating at there TDEE.

You might want to try eating more calorie dense foods like nuts. You will get a good amount of calories and healthy fats from nuts from such a small portion.

I do recommend trying your best to eat more throughout the day, just to get used to eating a little more because you will at some point reach your goal and will have to maintain, your calorie intake will be increased by however much, be 250, 500, 750, etc. You will most likely be exercising on top of that meaning you could be eating like 2000 calories and if you aren't used to eating more, it will affect your weight.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I sooooooooooo wish I had that problem!! Give them to me!!!!!

Eat some Ranch dressing, almonds, cottage cheese, a baked potato, avacoado.......I find it tooo easy to get calories!!! Good luck!!!
  • annadunn12
    annadunn12 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem too!!!! Isn't that how most of us ended up overweight? I'm constantly amazed at how people struggle to eat 1200 calories a day, and ever so slightly jealous :huh:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Cook your food in coconut oil. Added healthy calories =)
  • Amineral
    Amineral Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    ive been on both ends of the spectrum; eating too many calories and not being able to eat them all too. its really hard to eat them all if your body is sending you signals that you arent hungry. there are some days that i just cant seem to get up the appetite to eat anything! im anemic though so not eating is usually a sign that i am lacking something vital. my body can get really lethargic really fast. my problem is that im either dehydrated without realizing it, or i am lacking essential vitamins (or a mix of both). try taking a really good multi vitamin and drinking water. dont use centrum though because those are pure crap! after like a week or two you should notice your appetite shooting up if you are eating healthy and working out. however, when you are hungry, dont be afraid of the calories. it can be very daunting to eat 1200 calories plus the 600 calories you burned working out but that is what your body needs. not eating the workout calories messes with your metabolism and can keep you at a plateau with your fitness goals. good luck and add me if you need some motivation or just a buddy on here :)
  • zqadafi
    zqadafi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem, which is how I found this message board. Thanks for all the great advice about calorie-dense foods, guys!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Under eating can inhibit hunger so it is not always a reliable sign you are eating enough.

There are a ton of ways you can add calories without adding a huge amount of extra food.

Starvation mode is overused and misunderstood but eating too few calories over a long period of time will have a negative effect on you and your metabolism regardless if it is actual "starvation mode' or not.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I had this problem for a while. I eliminated almost all high-calorie density food from my diet, and was surprised that I could no longer eat so many calories.

Just start introducing some high calorie density foods back into your diet. Instead of an 80cal apple, eat a 300 cal peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Bam, calories. Instead of broiling a chicken breast, throw it in a skillet with a tablespoon of olive oil. Bam, calories. Instead of low fat salad dressing, drown that bad boy in balsamic vinaigrette. Bam, calories. When you make a smoothie, throw in a tablespoon of coconut oil. Bam, calories. Ditch the 0% milk, buy full fat. Bam, calories.

Just don't think you can eat 2000 calories a day of spinach.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've been reading up a lot about eating more to lose more and it all seems to make sense to me. My only issue is that I generally eat at meal times and when I'm hungry (I listen to my body), but that NEVER amounts to more than 1,200 calories even when I exercise. Even though I don't feel hungry am I still sending my body into starvation mode? Should I make myself eat more?

Yes, if you are exercising you almost certainly need more then 1200 calories. Even if you are very petite it's unlikely you wouldn't need more with exercise.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I had this problem for a while. I eliminated almost all high-calorie density food from my diet, and was surprised that I could no longer eat so many calories.

Just start introducing some high calorie density foods back into your diet. Instead of an 80cal apple, eat a 300 cal peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Bam, calories. Instead of broiling a chicken breast, throw it in a skillet with a tablespoon of olive oil. Bam, calories. Instead of low fat salad dressing, drown that bad boy in balsamic vinaigrette. Bam, calories. When you make a smoothie, throw in a tablespoon of coconut oil. Bam, calories. Ditch the 0% milk, buy full fat. Bam, calories.

Just don't think you can eat 2000 calories a day of spinach.

That is often what happens. There are a ton of these threads every week and when they have open diaries, I have a look. I almost always find that this is the case. And that they are eating low cal/low fat versions of food.
    Like you said high calorie food =/= unhealthy.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Eating your exercise calories back has more to do with RETAINING lean muscle tissue than "starvation mode."

If you eat too few calories .... your body will go to "stored fat" .... yeah! ..... and lean muscle mass ..... boo! when it needs nutrients. This is because fat does not store every single nutrient the body needs. Eating just enough helps keep muscle loss to a minimum.

"Starvation mode" refers to the metabolism slowing down & hanging onto every calorie ..... starvation mode (grossly exagerated) is pretty extreme.

You are much more likely to slow down your metabolism by losing lots of lean muscle mass while trying to lose weight too quickly.

Eating calorie dense foods will up your calories without making you feel "too full."
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    This post reminded me that it is time for my afternoon spoonful of peanut butter. Thanks!

I keep a jar of BP and a spoon in my desk drawer at work.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Eat real food.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Must be a nice issue to have. If my body would only crave 1200 calories I would be thin and not need MFP. Are you trying to gain weight, but it's been difficult since you have to force yourself to eat? Reminds me of a guy here at work although he is rail thin he cant eat more than a few bites before he is full. Jealous!
  • kshiraakshara
    kshiraakshara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you are way below your calories at the end of the day, have a spoonful of peanut butter (or almond butter, sun butter, whatever). Lots of calories and it's so little food that it won't matter that you're not hungry.