Monster no-carb no sugar no calories energy drinks

Options
Wmr1978
Wmr1978 Posts: 9 Member
I was wondering if any of you have any feedback on the monster drinks and if they alter or hurt your weight loss?

Replies

• TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if any of you have any feedback on the monster drinks and if they alter or hurt your weight loss?

Kidney stones
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I drink one Monster Rehab Lemonade + Tea daily. Has not hindered my weight loss.
  • IronPlayground
    Options

Kidney stones

Which is most likely caused by the dehydrating effect of caffeine. Staying hydrated throughout the day can combat this.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I thought they still had calories? I know sugar free Rockstar has 20cals per 100ml, I think Monster is 10 per 100ml. You should still log them but I wouldn't want to drink them with all the artificial sweetners in it! My partner likes them but energy drinks taste awful to me.

ETA: They haven't affected my partner's weight loss and all he drinks is energy drinks, coke zero and tea. :)
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Kidney stones

Which is most likely caused by the dehydrating effect of caffeine. Staying hydrated throughout the day can combat this.

Indeed and everyone is different.

My coworker has had to pass three stones in the last year. He drinks 2-3 a day.
  • IronPlayground
    Options

Kidney stones

2-3 a day? That's excessive. I would bet he isn't taking in much water either.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Sounds disgusting.

Try green tea.
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have one a week, at the MOST! Too expensive here in FL and water is SO much cheaper. LOL. But for a whole can it's only 20 cal. Not bad, and I get a good kick out of it, plus it has electrolytes to help you rehydrate. They were meant to be hangover drinks.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

Kidney stones

sounds like a good excuse to get a day off to me.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I drink Monster Absolutely Zero. While it's a nice change of pace sometimes, I would not recommend drinking more than one or two per week, if that.

Studies have shown that the significant increase in your heart rate and blood pressure after consuming energy drinks can be akin to a mild heart attack. If you need energy, there are healthier, safer ways to get the energy you need. If you're not getting enough sleep, start there. Then add more apples into your diet. Eat a couple of pieces of sugar free or dark chocolate.

Ejean86 also made a great suggestion. If you need the caffeine, get it naturally from tea.

Remember, your energy should come naturally from the foods you eat, not from additives and sugars.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have has it before, and I thought it was disgusting! Blech. I use it maybe once every two months or so when I have finals or a deadline.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options

Well, they're chock-full of caffeine, so they should act as an appetite suppressant.

They're diet soda. whatever you think about diet soda is what you should think about Monster's diet energy drinks--ANYBODY's diet energy drinks. But they're all just highly caffeinated diet sodas. Personally, I think the Bawls brand tastes better. YMMV
  • FitLink
    Options

Kidney stones

Caffeine's diuretic effect is so mild as to be nearly non-existent. The amount of water in caffeinated beverages more than counters the effect of caffeine. Caffeinated beverages are not dehydrating, they are hydrating, just like any water-based liquid is.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • FitLink
    Options

And this is why you link to the actual study (MSN is not a science journal, nor are they considered experts in medical science), and not a popular press commentary on it. Even the study's authors don't claim there is a causal relationship here. They say, "Although these observational data cannot establish causality, consumption of diet soda at least daily was associated with significantly greater risks of select incident metabolic syndrome components and type 2 diabetes." [emphasis mine] Which is why I referenced how one feels about diet soda, because there is some observational and correlational data that implies a LINK with artificial sweeteners and waist circumference, but no actual controlled research that could show causation.

This is very early and very limited data, and there is some disagreement as to what it actually means.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19151203
  • FitLink
    Options

Kidney stones

2-3 a day? That's excessive. I would bet he isn't taking in much water either.

Except, of course the 40 to 60 ounces of water in the 2 to 3 Monster drinks...
  • lewisbrooks7528
    Options
    The logo of monster is like the Hebrew of 666 and the company has some secret society, occult or satanic root when first formulated and released I think now with the sugar it's a product for all. As sugar can come from fruits and be a healthy compulsion not psychotic addiction.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    The logo of monster is like the Hebrew of 666 and the company has some secret society, occult or satanic root when first formulated and released I think now with the sugar it's a product for all. As sugar can come from fruits and be a healthy compulsion not psychotic addiction.
    Ha! Tin foil hats for everyone!