Probiotics broke my plateau?

Options
treetop57
treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
I lost a pound or more a week steadily for five months or so, then plateaued seven pounds above my goal. After a month at one weight, I've started to lose again, dropping two or three pounds in around a week and a half. The only change I've made recently is adding a daily probiotic (4X Pro-B from Costco). Not exercising more or less, not eating more or less.

Is this just a coincidence or do probiotics help with weight loss? Is that why folks are always pushing the Greek yogurt?

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to tell what breaks plateaus. I think a lot of times they would've broken when they broke regardless. I guess when you run out you can see if your weight loss stops?

I think probiotics are good for digestive health but I kind of doubt they're any weight loss panacea.
  • treetop57
    Options
    My first thought is that probiotics would make my digestion more efficient so I'd get more calories out my food, which would be a slight impediment to weight loss . . . all else being equal.

My second thought is that the probiotics are helping me eliminate waste more efficiently. Perhaps I'm literally less full of crap than normal. If so, this may be a one time loss of a couple pounds, not a real break in the plateau. In any case, it's good to see the scale (and other things) moving!
  • treetop57
    Options
    I should learn to give my message board topics sexier names. "Am I still full of crap?"
  • laurahrmn
    laurahrmn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I should learn to give my message board topics sexier names. "Am I still full of crap?"

Ahahaha. Love it.
  • treetop57
    Options
    I'm down two more pounds since I asked the question Monday. That really has me wondering whether the probiotics have been helping.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I don't know the answer, but I had never heard of probiotics until I started eating frozen kefir. If they are indeed that good I'll keep eating it as a healthy dessert and let you know!
  • diverdiza
    diverdiza Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Interesting ... keep us posted!
  • mishkat
    mishkat Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Lol

Update us by the end of the week, see what happens. =)
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Probiotics are a very real thing. We are not eating that dirt content that our ancestors did. That dirt is what keeps us alive and healthy (in part). I'm a big believer in having as much dirt in my diet as possible. LOL
  • stomachflu
    stomachflu Posts: 134 Member
    Options

If your eyes are brown then yes, you are still full of crap *LOL*
  • treetop57
    Options
    Guilty as charged, stomachflu!
  • Donnatb1
    Donnatb1 Posts: 5
    Options
    Not to get into too much TMI, but are you having more "movements?" Do you think you are eliminating more than usual? Studies have shown that even people who have regular movements a day, do not necessarily get everything out. Maybe the healthier gut is allowing you to release more....

By having a healthier gut, not only are you absorbing nutrition better, but the stuff that was not being absorbed previously is also not being stored in your fat cells. Anything the body interprets as a toxin (not necessarily what we think are toxins) are stored in fat cells if not eliminated via the digestive tract. Maybe something like that is happening, too.

Your success SURE makes me want to be more religious about taking my probiotics!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Probiotics are a very real thing. We are not eating that dirt content that our ancestors did. That dirt is what keeps us alive and healthy (in part). I'm a big believer in having as much dirt in my diet as possible. LOL

You might be onto something. I've always been a fan of the 'hygiene hypothesis'.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygiene_hypothesis
    It's not about diet or weight but overall health.
  • treetop57
    Options
    I've always been pretty regular and haven't really noticed any change in that department, Donnatb1.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Technically by taking all those little guys in, you also have to FEED them. It is entirely possible they are eating some of your calories for you. But I wouldn't think enough to cause weight loss...

But yes, our body does need plenty of bacteria in it to survive, its a symbiotic relationship. Good to have.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I recently discovered I likely stopped losing weight due to several cycles of antibiotics. Had I not been so carefully counting cals and exercise- I would have likely gained. Seems connected....
  • adry20
    adry20 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It could very well be it. Most health issues can be traced back to the gut, keeping it healthy is crucial for optimal health.
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You are going to get different opinions on this, but I have some information for you to take a look at- if you want. If you go to www.perfectproductseq.com , ( yes, it's an Equine site - Keep going....) then go to the tab products, click on gastrointestinal support, go to ingredients in detail, and look at all the probiotic life cycle and how it contributes to the gut and digestive system. It (they) is/are an all-over beneficial organism that helps break down and get the best nutrition to your system. I know this is geared towards the Equine Athlete, but it is the best explanation I know of how they work, and how probiotics make digestion more efficient. Good luck =) and Congrats on the weight loss so far !
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    :smile: Interesting conversation....off to buy probiotics again....been off of them for a while and struggling with losing. Hmmm....worth a try!
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Probiotics won't help you lose fat. It will help your digestion, and help you have a slimmer middle, by encouraging bm. I love Greek Yogurt, Yogurtland, and Activa Light Yogurt for this reason. Yay probiotics.