Eating over the 1200 calorie limit. Will I still lose?

Options
Hi all, basically I am 143lbs and would like to be 126lbs. Im 5'7". I asked MFP to lose 2lbs per week and it gave me 1200 as my calorie total per day. However, I find it hard to stick to this even though I am eating much less than the 2000 calories I normally eat and am eating really healthy food. My question is whether I will still lose weight if im averaging about 1400 calories per day and not the suggested 1200? Surely I will because I am eating less than my usual 2000. Does MFP give you 1200 as a way of you getting to your desired weight in a set time and therefore I will still lose weight just more slowly? Thank you.

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    1200 isn't a maximum it's the minimum you should be eating.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You will...Set your weight loss to .5-1lb per week - eating 1200 is not going to give you better results, and you will not keep it up because you will be hungry all the time... Eat more....
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You have 17 pounds to lose, which is not much.

Quit this 2 pound a week crap and set MFP to one pound a week. You will see your calories go up a bit, which means you can eat more and still lose weight.

I'm not much taller then you(5'9) and through out my journey I ate between 1500-1700 calories per day while losing. Maintaining, I eat between 1800-2000 calories a day.
  • bumblebee
    bumblebee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Is there a way of finding out the maximum calories I could consume and still lose weight?
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    yes. you will. 1200 is a little too low for some people. every person is different with how many calories they need per day. when i started this site, it put me at 1200 per day. but i felt i needed a little more calories every day for energy. and i was working out a lot. so i upped my daily intake to about 1400 calories per day. and it works great for me. i have lost 22 pounds since starting this site, and that is with eating about 1400-1500 calories per day and working out about 4 days per week. so go ahead and just eat 1400 calories per day, you will still lose weight.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Keep on adding 100cals a week and keep an eye on when you start to maintain - then slowly go down with a 100 at a time to find your happy spot....
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    ^ setting goals to half a pound per week is pretty doable.
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    That's my goal weight as well, and I'm the same height. My nutritionist wants me to eat 1400 calories per day total. (She also doesn't want to see me under 128) I think you're fine and will probably see losses - especially if you're working out.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    1200 is awfully low. I am 5'7" and losing on 1710. 2 pounds a week is too much loss when you have that little to lose. I have mine set to .5 pounds loss/week as that is much more realistic. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Is there a way of finding out the maximum calories I could consume and still lose weight?

Set your goal to maintenance. See what it tells you. Eat less than that.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. If you're struggling on 1200 try setting it to lose 1lb a week, you'll get more to eat and a quantity you'll find easier to stick to

- and if it's still not keeping you full I recommend doing more exercise so that you can eat back your exercise calories too - works for me!
  • tdlsaint
    tdlsaint Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I sat my goal to 1 pound per week, and currently my suggested intake by MFP is 1900. I started out doing 1200, and it was no where near enough. I started feeling weak and basically like crap. I then upped it to 1400 - 1500 calories, feel awesome and it didn't change my weight loss rate at all.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    What is your build like? I am 5'7" and medium build. When I weighed 143lbs, I was maybe a shade too thin. That is good you are eating really healthy food (I haven't looked at your diary), 'cause you will need every calorie to count! Like, I lose weight on about 1400calories if I am sedentary. I would think if you are exercising you would also need to eat back your exercise calories, or you will get unproductive in your efforts.

I think 1200 is too little, and I think 2lbs/week is too harsh...a 2lb/week loss is more likely if you are very overweight, but not when you don't have much to lose (say,25lbs or less).

Set your goals for 1lb per week, and be content with that. Google "pound of fat" to see an image of fat and appreciate that loss. A lot more happens each week than only the pound...you get healthier, fitter, more beautiful, better habits, etc.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options

I use this site: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

It gives me all the numbers I need....I am currently eating 1947 cals a day (I do not eat exercise cals as that is already figure in when I chose "active lifestyle". You can choose sedentary lifestyle and eat back your exercise cals instead.

That site bases your weight loss cals using your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). You will have to adjust it every 5 lbs, too.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options

Yes, you can calculate your BMR (that's the minimum amount of calories you should consume) and then calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and substract 15% from that. You can use that as your maximum calorie allowance.
    Search for the BMR and TDEE calculators on fat2fit website.
    Good luck!
  • jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Find out what your BMR (basal metabolic rate) is and do not eat below that number. Basically, its the amount of calories that your body needs just to function if you were to lay around all day. Also, find out what your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is. This will be your maintenance calorie intake. As long as you are below maintenance (TDEE) and above BMR, you will lose weight. Most people here eat 10-20% below their TDEE. MFP has a BMR calculator in the Tools section, but you'll have to google TDEE calculator to find out that number for you. I'm 5'7" and 134 pounds and for my last 15 pounds (149 to now) I've been eating around 1450 to 1500 calories per day and exercising. My BMR is 1420. Good luck!

This is a good TDEE calculator: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

Fat2fitradio.com is a great website (and app) that you punch in your details and it works out your BMR & TDEE so go there and use their figures. Good luck x
  • psideon
    psideon Posts: 24
    Options
    That's 1200 a day NET... that means, you can consume 3000 calories and exercise off 1800, you'll be fine!
    Going under 1200 is not a good idea, and that's just a ballpark figure. Tweak your program till you find what works best for you.

Good luck and God speed!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 142 lbs and eat 1700 calories a day and the pounds are still coming off. You can eat more! Working out will also expand the amount you can eat.

And I eat chocolate EVERYDAY and drink calorie'd drinks!!!!
  • bserwack
    bserwack Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    1200 is too low for me. I set mine to 1400/day. If I eat too little I end up starving, in a bad mood and binging.