Am I to simple for the MFP system?

Options
13»

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Nope, not too simple if it works for you! The way I see it- if someone wants to be count every gram of protein versus carbs versus whatever, and calculate their BMR/TDEE/WTFE, and it works for them- awesome! If someone wants to simply lower their calories and increase their activity and it works for them- awesome! The problem is there are so many people who think they found "THE key to weightloss" and that their way is the only way. Nothing wrong with offering tips and advice to help to people see changes they may want to make if they are not getting the results they want. But some people forget how they started and forget that learning what works for each person takes time, as well as trial and error. As one person put it, "I may only walk 10 minutes a day but that's a LOT better than the 0 minutes a day I was doing before."

Agreed.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    [No, relative to the masses here, you are a genius.

This. Definately this!!! LOL..... I am amazed you have not been flamed at all - very unusual for this site.....

MFP wasn't like that a couple of years ago when I started. It's kind of depressing! :sad:
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    [No, relative to the masses here, you are a genius.

This. Definitely this!!! LOL..... I am amazed you have not been flamed at all - very unusual for this site.....

Genius, but I still got my humorous post about intimate activities removed, so I'll stick to sarcasm :smile:

I am surprised about the lack of flames though, happy, but surprised
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You are not too simple for MFP; you are using it to its original specifications. Don't worry about the others; they just haven't learned yet that everyone is different and it's not as hard as they want it to be :wink:

Actually, the incredible thing is she is NOT using it to the original specs.

Pointed out that the suggested level was NOT taken, individual research was done to obtain her own numbers, and that is used, NOT what MFP suggested.

As many others on the Topic have posted, they found the suggested levels not realistic for them, and used another equally simple method.

Strange that a site called My Fitness Pal has such a great food logging database but opposite direction poorly updated exercise database of decent calorie burns.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You are not too simple for MFP; you are using it to its original specifications. Don't worry about the others; they just haven't learned yet that everyone is different and it's not as hard as they want it to be :wink:

I'm a HE btw :smile:
  • sharlowbrla
    Options
    The food logging is important, it is usually the first thing any successful diet plan incorporates. That is very eye opening to some who have never done it before. MFP makes it really easy to track.

Once you start tracking, you start to realize that exercise gets you more food. That motivates you to start moving. You see by watching others that are successful in losing weight that exercise is important. As a "exercise hater", i started walking. I feel better. That encourages the habit.

The big secret to the success of MFP for me is the emotional aspect. MFP is different because of the "friend" factor. I don't care whatever your age. Most people like to be encouraged, especially if you have an eating problem. There's emotional baggage tied to overeating for a lot of us already. It gives you a friend base that understands the weight issues. That's huge. Married to a skinny man for 38 yrs that doesn't "get" how i use food for comfort, (he uses alcohol), that is huge. My friends here understand me. They "get" me and why I sabotage myself and help me to get back on track. They care.

There are always people that over think things but that's true in everything. I see hundreds of pounds lost here. I feel part of a community and I need the accountability.

I agree that weight loss is a simple equation, it truly is just math. The balancing of calories in verses calories out. But the friend factor is the unique ingredient for me here and am so grateful for them.
  • GaglianiGirl
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. Now that I am eating healthier, I find it nearly impossible to eat all my calories. I am definitely NOT starving either. I eat all day!
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I thought of MFP as a great place to start. When I got comfortable using the system I tweeked it to MY goals. (Raise protein, lower sodium, etc.) Even now, I only use it as a source to see where I'm at. It's not my bible, but it's an excellent resource to see trends.

I like numbers, charts, and graphs though. I like to analyze and adjust. I totally agree with you that people make it too complicated and freak out when their protein was too low for the day or ask what they should do if their carbs were too high. Seriously?? :huh:
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I agree to a point. MFP set my calories too low and exercise burn too high. I use a HRM that is more
    accurate. I love to log in my calories and exercise-it has made losing weigh a breeze.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    No way are you too simple. Excellent plan and execution. I use a bit more of the details just because I have certain advice from a doctor to follow also and MFP make it so simple, no calculator required. But for weight loss only, you are spot on.
  • Shawneb66
    Shawneb66 Posts: 124
    Options
    I set my own calories and keep track of my food! Oh, and the friends are a nice bonus! Other then that...it's no secret! Over eat=gain weight, eat less=weight loss! Some of the strange food bothers me...I don't get the protein shakes for people trying to lose weight!
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I use it to log and track what I eat and how much I exercise. Using this site has made me do that, which is something I haven't done in a long time. And that's probably why I gained so much weight to begin with! Eat less, exercise more. Really just that simple.
  • Sassybecky
    Sassybecky Posts: 72
    Options
    I agree, the waiting is the hardest part!
    MFP is my weight loss journal and helps me with counting calories...something i've never been able to do using a book....too much effort required...

all i do is try to eat less and exercise oh and wait...the waiting is the hardest part for me....it takes time for the pounds to come off....

you're not to simple....not in my eyes anyway...

but then i'm busy waiting....i'm looking ahead to the fall...and being 40 pounds lighter...
  • Lyndelee
    Lyndelee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Exactly simple enough!!
  • crystaltate4
    Options
    this is to me a guide to show u what ur eating and how to watch the cal intake and the fat intake thats it nothing more nothing less, it taught me that i can have something sweet but within my cal count or fat count, there is no starvation just training urself u eat and maintian what u need.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

I'm a HE btw :smile:

For some reason I really wanted to change the she to he, but wasn't sure.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    WOW! Three pages and not a peep from the poo-pooers that normally jump on this like flies on you know what. Wouldn't it be great if all posts could be this way? Someone stating an opinion. Others agreeing or adding their thoughts. No verbal/written abuse of the OP. What a wonderful world! Maybe they finally took the hint and if the post didn't fit in with their mindset - they moved on. YAY!