Selfish to exercise alone?

Options
I have been walking and running directly after arriving home from work each day. On the days when I don't work, I have been getting up early in the morning. I enjoy the time alone to think and to go at my own pace...which is pulse pounding for me since I have only been at it for a week. I like being able to go WHEN I want and to be able to return when I am ready. My next door neighbor asked to go with me. Is it selfish to want to be alone when I walk? What is the best way to handle this honestly AND diplomatically?

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the answer to your question but I feel exactly the same. I like to go in my own time and at my own pace. I would have thought that honesty is best. Your neighbour can't argue with how you feel and hopefully won't be offended.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    I prefer to run alone. its my time. so i understand how you feel.
    maybe try to explain this to your neighbor in a nice manner?
    or compromise and walk with them a couple nights a week, while going on your own other nights.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I love my alone time so much I get up at 4:30am to get it! Personally, I would NOT want to go with someone who really didn't want me to go. And why would you do that to yourself? It is not selfish. But if there is some other activity you WANT to do with your neighbor, you could offer that.
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I like to do cardio on my own except for when my fiance and I go for walks, it is nice to just chat about our days. I like to lift with him though, he really helps me to push harder than when I lift by myself.
  • StarIsMoving
    StarIsMoving Posts: 437
    Options
    Just be honest. Explain that you would love her company, but that is the time you take that is like your therapy and cheaper than a counselor :) How I explained to my friend was: I honestly have that as solo time, but we can get together for something else if you want? She looked at me weird and I explained that it's the time I run off my stress; just me, my ear buds, and my thoughts...and no one wants to see me if I can't get that time in.... she then laughed and never took offense :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Just tell her you're sorry, but exercise is your meditation time and you prefer solitude. Maybe you could (if you are so inclined) pick either one day a week or even go twice one or two days and include her then.
  • dellrio
    dellrio Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I only exercise alone - its me time.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    maybe you can do your own thing and then perhaps go for a separate walk with your neighbour? You might enjoy the change!
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I like to walk at a fast pace alone, not having to talk to anyone and being able to just think. Like you, I would wonder how to kindly turn the neighbor down.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    No you're not being selfish. I don't know how to handle it honestly but if you want an alternative to the socially acceptable honest route everyone is giving you let me know :tongue:
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Not selfish at all...I feel the same way. I don't want to chat or comprimise on anything I do in the gym....it is my time. Tell them the truth.....you need alone time. If they don't like it, oh well.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Ask your neighbor if they want to walk with you on Mondays.. or whatever day you want... so that leaves all the other days to yourself.. and you don't have to feel bad.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's selfish at all! But then again, I'm the same way. Some people like the company, others don't. I think when I'm at a better place (able to breath as I run) I'd feel like maybe I could go but for now, I like to be alone. I also find I enjoy going at 4:45/5am and not many people want to do that lol
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I tell people that it is quiet time for me to decompress and focus on myself but I'd be happy to meet up with them afterwards for coffee. I even have friends that do the same track I do at the same time and I STILL don't walk or run with them. We wave and go on doing our thing
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as you. The time I set aside to exercise is for me to focus on my own goals, and get lost in my own thoughts... It's not selfish at all.

You could just be honest with her and say "I appreciate the offer, but I prefer to work out alone because I need the time to myself. I wouldn't be very good company"
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    My best friend and I are the exact same way. We enjoy our alone time so when we "run together" it basically means we ride to the park together, stretch and then plan on a meeting point when we are finished. This way we both get to go our own pace and then afterwards can enjoy a protein shake together.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I love working out alone, twice a week I attend a small group training but the rest of the time it's just me and my iPod :drinker:
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Say ok, tell her that you plan to walk x miles at x pace and it should take x time, and if you want to be really evil, set the start to really early o'clock. If you use scary numbers, she may decide that going with you is not ideal, and if she still wants to go, you get a good work out :bigsmile:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you really want to be alone, there's nothing wrong with that. Just explain it as others have said - this is the one time you have to yourself and you really like to be able to have the quiet time to unwind. Hopefully she understands...

Or, if you think you won't mind having her along once or twice a week, see if you can coordinate your schedules. Who knows, it might be as nice to have someone to walk with and chat with as it is being alone. And chatting doesn't mean you have to go slow, my workout buddy and I still steam along pretty good while we chat.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I would be honest and explain that you have been enjoying the alone time to clear your head.

But maybe you can add a walk with the neighbor a couple times a week for added calorie burn for you and a nice social outlet. I have neighbors that do 2 miles on the local HS track. It's just walking at a pace where we can still talk but I like to join them once in a while to catch up.