stronglifts 5x5 scam?

Options
2»

Replies

• boecho
    boecho Posts: 74
    Options
    SL5x5 is awesome, you'll love the strength gains. give it a shot.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Are you loving the program? I like Wendler's style of writing (I read his website occasionally) but have not picked up the book yet.

When I was getting back into strength training I loved it a lot, I tried something else and then came back to it. I did hit a pretty good wall and I began reading-up on Russian conjugate, dynamic effort, and eventually read the Westside Barbell Club method as used by Joe DeFranco and I currently use the full Westside method. The dynamic effort days are nuts and then a couple days later pick a lift and do a full-on max effort session is pretty dope too.
    2) Yes of course after time this program will no longer work, that is stated in the report. Eventually you will not make gains and you will be stalled but that will take months. After that, you can advance to Stronglifts intermediate and Stronglifts Advanced. Or whichever other program you choose to take you to the next level.

****Post edited by Staff for violation of MyFitnessPal guideline number 17 ****

The whole beginner versus advanced is debatable. Even somebody like Louie Simmons feels there's no reason for a beginner not to begin with something more advanced. Why not start off with something better and set yourself up for long-term success rather than short-term success? Something like 5/3/1 is just as simple as SL5x5 but it sets you up better long-term. The progression is better and the user will gain better over time because assistance / support work is part of it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Yes Mehdi is really long winded and reading through his website can be life draining (lol) BUT his program is definitely legit. It's extremely similar to Starting Strength, in fact thats what he based it on. He does send you his free report, again very long winded but the program itself is solid. I'm on my second week of the program. If you're looking for more info or a condensed version of the program you can go here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

And feel free to join our group if you have any specific questions or would like support.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

The dude is totally a tool but it's a good program.

What Rae said! There is also an awesome iphone app to help track your workouts.
  • riverabeth
    riverabeth Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just got the stronglits 5x5 app, so hopefully it will be easy to track my lifting. Thanks for everyone's input!
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    The program itself is a basic, effective and safe way to begin weight training. It gives you a structure to follow so you know what, when and how much to lift. It will get you progressing in the gym and in the mirror. You can't really go wrong doing this 12 week program. It puts 3 months of productive training under your belt while you're researching where you want to go next.
  • dstary
    dstary Posts: 1
    Options
    Introduction History of StrongLifts 5×5 Stronglifts 5×5 is based on the 5×5 routine of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s mentor, Reg Park. Reg Park was the first guy to write about 5×5 in 1960. Many people have written about the 5×5 routine during the last 60 years, before I was even born. So I didn’t invent this :)
    Read more: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/. So you can't say he ripped off some one.