Not losing weight! Gaining body fat and losing muscle.

Options
Hi,

I went from not watching what I was eating at all (eating lots of take out, etc) to eating paleo/primal (no sugar, processed foods, dairy, grains) for 3 months now. I have went from not working out at all to 3X a week with a trainer.

I decided a week ago, that even with cutting out all of that stuff, and eating paleo, that I'm eating too much still probably. Or maybe too much fat (steaks, avocados). So I decided to join here and count my calories so I don't go overboard. ... although I seem to be eating too much protein according to this site.

Recently, my body fat went up two pounds in a month and I actually lost muscle! (two pounds also)

Very confusing. Maybe hormonal? Chemically linked? I'm 5'3, 140 pounds, medium build, pear shaped.

Any advice would be GREAT!

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary you ate:

W=1184 (no exercise logged) 33g fat
    R=1358 (no exercise logged) 72g fat
    F=1585 (255 exercise calories) 67g fat
    S=1485 (127 exercise calories) 53g fat
    Su=1203 (no exercise logged) 71g fat

If you are doing primal or paleo, you shouldn't worry about fat content being high with those numbers. I'd have to say though that on nearly every day you are likely netting below your BMR. Although you do lose some lean muscle mass when leaning down, you want to be careful and make sure you eat enough so you do not lose excess.

How are you assessing body composition, btw? Those handheld body fat devices, scale, DEXA scan, etc? If its the handheld device, those can be influenced greatly due to a number of factors: taken various times of the day, body temperature (exercising before assessment), dehydration, menses, etc..)
  • torpina
    torpina Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey, Thanks for replying!

I hear you on the fat. What are your thoughts on the protein? I always go over by lunch time!

So you think I'm actually not eating enough maybe?
    I'm not sure what the machine is. My naturopath uses it... sticks those stickers to a few parts of my body and connects them to the machine...

Sorry, that's not much help.

Thanks again for the reply.