Does 15lbs *REALLY* matter???

Options
2»

Replies

• sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, any weight that a person wants to lose or gain absolutely matters. I haven't had the misfortune of seeing that much negativity in any threads, but I would hope people are encouraging no matter what a person's personal goals are. Ten pounds or a hundred pounds, we all have our individual challenges.

Ironically, if I drop another ten to fifteen pounds of fat, I would be at the lean mass/body fat ratio that I want to be. So I get what you're saying. Surround yourself with encouraging people and use all the negativity as fuel in the gym. Works for me!

On an unrelated note...nice ink on your back! I have four myself. :D

I haven't seen much negativity towards this on the threads, more so in real life. But threads are created by and commented on by real life people. I have seen a few remarks here and there on threads, but thankfully not much. Honestly this was something I just felt like needed to be shared and said. I told a girl at my job that I wanted to lose weight (she is borderline obese) and she just looked at me like "who the hell are you?!" She didn't say those words but I could see them in her eyes. She then did say that I didn't need to lose anything and I simply told her my clothes had a different opinion :laugh: She said she understood. I wanted to let people know that a "small" amount of weight can make a big difference, which is why I put my embarrassment aside and described my body at my "fat" time. And I wanted other people to know they're not alone =)

And thanks for the compliment on my tat! I also have words that curve along my hip.

It's so nice to see so many supportive posters =)
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I try to accept people's goals--a lot of people give me a hard time for wanting to lose weight. As long as people are hurting themselves in very drastic ways (it's debatable that we are all hurting ourselves to some extent), I see no issues. We all carry weight differently, feel different mentally and emotionally at different weights.

Today someone suggested I take vitamins, but I'm not sure if it's worth it--I am not very sensitive to supplements and foods like many people seem to be. I don't know if I could tell a difference, and wouldn't have the motivation to remember to take them each day.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I agree! It is not their fault that they only have 10 lbs of excess weight and I have 50 and others have 150. Most of us are here to be fit and healthy and you can still be unhealthy if you only have 10 lbs to lose.

Plus, through running and strength training and eating better while watching portions, I have lost 15 lbs so far. I have more energy, I feel confident in more clothes, and I dropped 2 pant sizes! Went from a 14 to a 10. So yes, 15 pounds matter no matter what kind of body they are coming off of!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Fifteen pounds matters if you're passing it through any orifice..
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    I'm short, 5 1 1/2" and 15 lbs makes a huge difference on me! I'm wanting to lose just a little more than that, but when you're body seems comfortable where it is, it seems harder :/ I'm not giving up, I will lose it!
  • melann1974
    melann1974 Posts: 84
    Options
    For me 15lbs is about a pant size. 15lbs does matter. Even people who have to lose 25lbs, 50lbs+, they have to do it in steps.
  • jljune
    jljune Posts: 59
    Options
    I wish myfitnesspal had a LIKE button!! I am short as well and have about 17 pounds to go. I am an 8 right now and 17 pounds will get me back into a 2-4.

Just 5 pounds makes a big difference on a short person. 15 is a huge difference.

I WILL LOSE IT!!

Thanks for posting this.

297714.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    I totally get this. I'm only 4'11, and my heaviest was 150 pounds. Since January I've lost almost 25 pounds. I feel SO much better! Weight is so much more noticeable on a small frame. I've gone from a 10 petite in pants to a 4 petite. No matter how much weight you lose, it makes a difference!
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I can understand their plight. I'm within sight of my goal weight now, but I still see the fat in my lower tummy and I hope like heck that once I get to goal that is gone. I know 15 pounds from now, I'll still be wearing the same clothes, but I gotta hope I look better in them.
  • hayleeannie
    hayleeannie Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Right on! I'm glad you brought this up. I'm 5'2 and 15 lbs is at least two or three pant sizes for me. It matters. Over the last six months I have gained about 17lbs and NONE of my clothes fit. That is why I'm here! I really love you attitude about not feeling bad about your current weight. Lately I've been feeling insecure about how I look working out (big boobs and butt bouncing haha), but after reading your post I think I'm going to go for a jog and let it all hang out, after all it's the only way I will loose the 17lbs the are dragging me down!
  • sundaywishes
    Options
    I wish myfitnesspal had a LIKE button!! I am short as well and have about 17 pounds to go. I am an 8 right now and 17 pounds will get me back into a 2-4.

Just 5 pounds makes a big difference on a short person. 15 is a huge difference.

I WILL LOSE IT!!

Thanks for posting this.

297714.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Yes, 5lbs DOES make a difference! At "just" a 5lb loss, my stomach had already stopped protruding so much! I have faith that you will meet your goal. I'm so happy you and everyone else is thankful for this thread. It has made my day! FR me if you'd like
    =)
  • sundaywishes
    Options
    Right on! I'm glad you brought this up. I'm 5'2 and 15 lbs is at least two or three pant sizes for me. It matters. Over the last six months I have gained about 17lbs and NONE of my clothes fit. That is why I'm here! I really love you attitude about not feeling bad about your current weight. Lately I've been feeling insecure about how I look working out (big boobs and butt bouncing haha), but after reading your post I think I'm going to go for a jog and let it all hang out, after all it's the only way I will loose the 17lbs the are dragging me down!

Rock it, girl!
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    well said! :flowerforyou: