How should I carry water for 10+ mi runs?

Options
124»

Replies

• nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I have a Nathan's fuel belt with 4 8 oz flasks. The belt comes in diff sizes so you can get a proper fit it doesn't move around. I even fell on a trail and it stayed in place. On shorter runs, I may only carry 1-2 bottles. I have run 12miles before with no water when the humidity and heat were low. Now that's its 100 deg plus and the humidity is high, I definitely carry water.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Camelbacks give me sweaty back syndrome :laugh: . I've tried many hydration belts and settled on one with a medium sized bottle mid-back. Then I stick money in my pocket and buy a bottle in a shop if need a top-up :drinker:
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It depends what you mean by 10+ and also it depends on how hot it is outside. A lot of people have made suggestions, especially about camelbacks and stuff. However in my experience most runners don't want to be bogged down by having to carry all that water. Additionally, they're somewhat expensive. I would make 4 suggestions, although they're all really just variations on a theme:

1. Stash water bottles along your route.
    2. Run in a loop that goes past your home, car (stocked with water), or somewhere you can buy water (7 eleven).
    3. Plan your route to go past known water sources, like parks with water fountains.
    4. Just carry a water bottle, 16 ounces is probably enough for a 10 mile run, but don't tell the hydration police.

As far as carrying a bottle is concerned, you can buy really cheap bottles with a strap that wraps around your hand. I don't like belts because they always cause irritation (both mental and physical). I would rather hold the bottle. For long runs (20+) I'll usually hit up a convenience store and buy water / sports drink / food.

ETA: Whether you actually drink or not is kind of up to you. A 10 mile run with no water won't hurt most people. I won't generally bring water on anything less than 15 unless it's really hot. Some people complained about feeling faint or nauseous, those are definitely signs of dehydration but I'm assuming that those people were already dehydrated when they went running. A lot of people don't drink enough water during the day, or might wake up and immediately go running without drinking anything. You lose like 2 lbs of water in your sleep. So make sure you're hydrated before you go. A little rule of thumb is if you've been drinking a lot of water and your urine is clear, you're probably good to go. As always, if you're exercising in the heat and you suddenly stop sweating or feel disoriented, find some shade and water.