ADDICTION TO FOOD... IS THERE SUCH A THING

Options
I have come to realize after being clean from drugs over a year now that food is or seems addicting. Sometimes I feel like i cant control myself. I also have realized that I have replaced the illegial drugs for food and this losing weight and not eating has become harder for me to quit than my drug addiction. How crazy is that? I am struggling not with walking 3 times a week for 40 mins but saying no to food. IE...today I thought to myself for lunch I will have some Salmon with crackers and get a side order of coleslaw from the restaurant across from my work and I go and order onion rings and Eat just a couple......Now I am sitting here thinking what the hell did I just do and the coleslaw I ordered isnt much better. SO I guess I am having a very hard time saying no. I feel like I dont ever really get full or I am just eating to cure my anxiety or something..... I really need some advise breaking this cycle.

Replies

• RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Congrats on overcoming your drug addiction. It has been said that we replace one addiction with another. This is probably what is happening. Stick to it, once you start to lose weight, you will feel better and it will keep you motivated. You can add me as a friend if you want. :happy:
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Just like with drugs, when you're ready to stop you will. I will confirm that -- for me at least -- bad food is absolutely addictive. Eat none of it. Stop eating at restaurants for 12 weeks. Bring healthy food from home. Eat whole foods. Avoid empty carbs like white bread. Coleslaw, at least the recipes I've seen, is cabbage coated with mayonnaise and sugar! This is slightly healthier than eating a slice of cake (yes, I’m exaggerating). It is fat and carbs and cabbage is like eating water as far as nutrients go. Cut out the sugar and fat and you will stop craving it in a few weeks or months. When you’re ready you’ll do it. Protein makes me feel full. Try eggs for breakfast.
    Good luck!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Food addiction is real, and if you are replacing one addiction with another (which is common) I suggest Overeaters Anonymous.
    There's a big difference between finding losing weight hard and not being able to physically or mentally resist food. Food stimulates the brain to release dopamine, which gives you a hedonistic happy high. Then you feel bad about eating, feel depressed, and eat to get that dopamine hit and get you out of the depression again.

If you are really worried, see a doctor or speak to OA.
  • teamfit2day
    teamfit2day Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have come to realize after being clean from drugs over a year now that food is or seems addicting. Sometimes I feel like i cant control myself. I also have realized that I have replaced the illegial drugs for food and this losing weight and not eating has become harder for me to quit than my drug addiction. How crazy is that? I am struggling not with walking 3 times a week for 40 mins but saying no to food. IE...today I thought to myself for lunch I will have some Salmon with crackers and get a side order of coleslaw from the restaurant across from my work and I go and order onion rings and Eat just a couple......Now I am sitting here thinking what the hell did I just do and the coleslaw I ordered isnt much better. SO I guess I am having a very hard time saying no. I feel like I dont ever really get full or I am just eating to cure my anxiety or something..... I really need some advise breaking this cycle.

Food addiction is absolutely real. When you eat the foods that you like especially, your brain releases chemicals which further trigger the "want and need" for these foods. Like drug or alcohol addiction, it all comes down to chemical reactions within the brain that send impluse signals through your body "asking" for these specific "things" to satisfy the cravings. With time, as you eat healthier and exercise more, the cravings slowly go away but you still need to fight it and make healthy choices. One of the biggest mistakes people make as well is mistaking thirst for hunger. Most times, people grab snacks and cookies when really a cup of water is all you need. The poblem is that we dont recognize the difference and 9 times out of 10, we choose food first.