Losing weight too quickly?

Options
Hi,

I have just started keeping track again on MFP in the last two weeks, and as my weight tracker says, I've lost 6 lbs already. My goals are set for 1.1 lbs/week, and I've eaten back my exercise calories... and then some. I've been weighing in every day, mostly just as a reminder to myself that if I eat junk, I'll get junk back. My food journal is open, in case you're skeptical that I'm crash dieting or something, because I'm not.

I've considered that maybe one or more of the following might have had an impact on what my weigh-ins are, though I have been weighing in at the same time every day to try to account for normal fluctuations. Please let me know if you have any insight here- above all, I really want to make sure I'm doing this right and that I'm not missing something obvious.

Possibilities?
- Myth or Fact: When you have a lot of weight to lose, the beginning weight comes off easier/faster
- I have hypothyroidism which is treated with levothyroxin
- I have PCOS
- I am on my period (sorry for the TMI)
- It's just water weight that I'm losing due to being outside a lot at work
- I am overestimating calories and/or underestimating exercise
- My scale is wonky

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    When you first start out there is often a big drop in water retention as you start to monitor and reduce your intake of sodium while simultaneously increasing your work outs. I dropped 4lb the first week, it slowed down after that.
  • leenie96
    leenie96 Posts: 65
    Options
    When you're just starting, the weight definitely comes off faster and easier. A lot of this is just water and the fact that Aunt Flo's in town is also a factor! During your period not only is your weight fluctuating, but you also burn more calories. So once it's done, be careful with believing that you can eat the same amount.
  • bigleo1968
    Options
    eating less than 800 calories has to be supervised by a doctor because you can get galolstones and more
  • amersmanders
    amersmanders Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    eating less than 800 calories has to be supervised by a doctor because you can get galolstones and more

Well my calorie goal is 1600/day. With exercise calories factored in, I'm usually eating around 2200.
  • earthwitch
    Options
    If this is only your first week, I wouldn't be worrying too much. As others have said it could be fluid, time of the month, or any of the other things you have suggested. I'd wait another couple of weeks, and you keep losing at that rate, then look at changing something.

You might need to keep a check on the thyroid function a bit more often than usual as you lose weight - it would be possible to become a bit hyperthyroid if you lost enough, that your current dose was too much for your new body size.
  • Magnamus
    Magnamus Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Possibilities?
    - Myth or Fact: When you have a lot of weight to lose, the beginning weight comes off easier/faster

Yes, you lose weight faster at first, it slow down exponentially from there and you have to continuously adjust caloric intake.
    Your metabolism will slow down too If your not backing it exercise.

- I have hypothyroidism which is treated with levothyroxin

Only your doctor or pharmacist should answer anything relating to exercise and the medication your taking. We're all made differently and does and side affects varies greatly across sex, race, height, weight and age.
    Here's a link to the wiki on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levothyroxine

- I have PCOS (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001408/)

Polycystic ovary syndrome affects might actually diminish as you eat better and exercise. Avoid sugars and preservatives. Also you might want to consider consulting a Gastroenterologist to check for food intolerance that may be causing the problems.

- I am on my period (sorry for the TMI)

Your weight can fluctuate by as much as 5pds up or down just from your period. Watching the scale will only cause frustration. (Ignore the scale for a week once a month)

- It's just water weight that I'm losing due to being outside a lot at work.

If your sweating, then yes you can lose water weight from exercise. You should also be replenishing your water levels near equally (sweat/hydrate ratio) if you want your muscle to properly repair themselves and to help the fat melt away.

- I am overestimating calories and/or underestimating exercise.

Don't we all... Be true to yourself and trust your judgement.

- My scale is wonky

Take a large unopened bag of potatoes and check.