Not losing weight because of what I eat after dinner

Options

Replies

• Jenvan78
    Jenvan78 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more, period. You won't lose anything eating just 1000 calories a day and doing so much working out. I would slowly add 100 cals a week until you reach your TDEE or at least get them up to 1500 if anything. We are all brainwashed into thinking that starving is what works but our bodies were not meant to starve. If you think of food as fuel it makes it easier. If you want some evidence of someone that has done it then go check out Go Kaleo on Facebook..she's amazing.
  • Erihppas
    Erihppas Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to tell you the amount of calories you should or shouldn't be eating, in the end you have to do what's best for you. I will say personally, I was on a 1200 calorie diet and it didn't work. Upped to 1500 and now I'm steady at at least 1-2 lbs a week, as long as I follow through with my goals.... but I want to add my own two cents.

I tend to be SUPER hungry at night. The good thing for me is that I'm so busy throughout the day I am able to just have oatmeal or salad in the afternoons and make dinner my biggest meal. I'm talking 700 calories including dessert. Why don't you try having dinner be your biggest meal?

Good luck!
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    No, I think I am not hungry after dinner...just don't stop.
  • smilesback
    Options
    My suggestion, eat more protein at dinner.. Or up your calories/exercise more so you have enough calories for the late night snacks.
    Yes, I am starting to increase my protein and exercise - right on!
  • smilesback
    Options
    try not having the snacks in the house? perhaps switch what you snack on? or exercise more to free up more calories?
    good luck :)
    Yes, I have been thinking about tossing the snacks and not have them in the house. Cuz I will go on the hunt for something rich after dinner. Thanks,
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    snacking after dinner could be boredom. Find something to do with yiour hands such as knitting
  • smilesback
    Options
    Try changing to 1500.
    A couple months ago I upped the calories for that reason...and gained weight. In the past, I lost with high protein, regular exercise, weight training and less than 1000 calories a day. Seriously short, and over 60 I have to up my metabolism AND cut calories. I wish eating more would cause me to lose. Doesn't work for me, anyways, thanks.
  • smilesback
    Options
    Stop eating big dinners and snacks.

Seriously, there's no trick to this. You have to know that losing weight is what you want, and you have to tell yourself to stick to it. It will never happen if you don't keep to the program.
    TOTALLY COOL! I can't seem to get my mind wrapped around the program! ARG!
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is def not enough its also about Nutrition and you arent getting enough...look at your protein,sodium,carb,vitamin look at all those numbers where do you fall n the healthy range of things...you need more cals I eat 800-1000 cals a day but on a monitored scientifically backed plan and my Nutrition I am getting is of that of a 2,000 caloric diet...JS:)
  • smilesback
    Options
    I know how you feel. I do the exact same thing...I would say though when I first started I would save calories for that late night snack. I would have a fudgie bar or pudding or what ever you like. Then brush you teeth right after.
    I agree with shifting the calories to allow snacking...and I did think about brushing my teeth after --- will try that. Thanks,
  • smilesback
    Options
    Thanks I will ask for your support again ;)
  • smilesback
    Options
    I am more a morning person and do things during the day so the mindlessness comes with the package. I like your idea to shift my attention from food somehow.
  • smilesback
    Options
    Plan what you're going to eat the day before. Make a 'Beautiful Me' menu. As for the post-dinner noshing, well... you're preaching to the choir on that one. What I do find helps, is eliminating junk from my house. Really. Make the things you have available actually beneficial to your diet. For example, a post dinner snack on jerky is probably okay, because the extra protein is good for your diet and jerky is truly nosh-able. Fresh berries are good to snack on with some cottage cheese for added protein or even just a smoothie.

Being concerned about health is a 'good' concern. :)
    Thanks, I think the better foods will stay and I will junk the junk food :)
  • ecmorales
    ecmorales Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi...you're in the home stretch, you can do it!.
    -- Are you snacking because you're hungry, or because you're bored? How about exercising which watching TV in the evening.
    -- Are you hungry because your meal wasn't satieting? My evening meal strategy is to eat the high fiber (veggies) items first to quell my hunger, then I really enjoy the protein item and don't long for more. Much success.
  • smilesback
    Options
    I was just like that when I started! Breakfast, lunch no problem. Dinner, forget about it! The problem was I was fixing big dinners for just two people, and there was no portion control. .. I just told my husband he had to bear with me for a while until I could push through this.
    Not too long -- just right -- it is about portion control, and I have Lean Cuisines for that reason ready and waiting in the freezer...just been wishing that when I fix DH a good meal, I could keep my calories under control AND not snack afterwards. I don't wake up hungry...believe me ;)
  • smilesback
    Options
    What is TDEE?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) quantifies the number of calories you burn in a day

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
    I use a BodyBugg device and for the past two years, I believe it is credible. On most days without trying, I burn 1300-1500 calories. Not much room to overeat or I will gain weight. That's why the 1000 calorie diet. I am overweight, I am not weighing in the obesity range now like I did 4 years ago, but nothing in the past two years has changed in my lifestyle. I am trying harder. Thanks for your ideas,
  • smilesback
    Options
    I eat dinner.... and I have an evening snack - every night -and I've lost 115lbs. I'm very conscious of what I eat all day long, and my night time snacks are carefully planned! My go-tos for evening snacks.....
    celery, broccoli, cucumbers, cauliflower and roasted red pepper hummus.... (Or just cucumbers with salsa)
    high protein sweet treat (chocolate protein powder, cocoa powder, pb2 all mixed with a little water and frozen for a while)

Once you stop eating crap it gets a lot easier. just keep only smart choices in your house. that's what I do. There's nothing wrong with snacking at night. Just avoid starchy carbs -- no chips, popcorn, fruit, etc. have something high protein. raw veggies are great because they are crunchy, and low cal! :)
    THANK YOU! I have a plan to follow here like you said...no carbs after dinner, only protein (That will help my focus a lot, thanks!)
  • smilesback
    Options
    I'm something of a night time snacker, so I get where you're coming from. My tricks to compensate:

1. Eat low calorie snacks and pre-portion them. If I bring the whole bag in with me, I'm probably going to mindlessly eat the whole bag. I'll eat veggies with a low calorie dip or a pour myself a single serving size of what I want (cereal, popcorn, etc.) Sugar free popsicles are also a good treat. When that serving is gone, it's gone. There are no "seconds" for snacks.
    2. Do something with my hands. Cross-stitch, knit, whatever you like. You can eat and do those things and your hands are occupied and you end up with something useful.
    3. Exercise. You can do this in front of the TV or away from it. Go for a walk. If you have a treadmill or stationary bike, put it in front of the TV. I've been watching old Remington Steele episodes while riding my stationary bike. It's 42 minutes of 80s style entertainment!

Honestly, 1000 calories at your height and age is probably fine, but you're probably going to need to eat back your exercise calories if you want to lose weight.

ETA: Whatever you decide to do, you should leave enough calories in your day to allow a small snack. I'm not usually happy unless I have one each night, it's just the way I am, so I plan for it.
    Thanks, I hear ya about staying busy, watching the extra calories and exercise. Thanks,
  • smilesback
    Options
    snacking after dinner could be boredom. Find something to do with yiour hands such as knitting
    Boredom plays a part -- not sure what I want to do but not knitting. I could brush my teeth, and read I guess.
  • smilesback
    Options
    I just wanted to reply to most ideas to let you know that I appreciate them. I will *digest* these food for thought ideas and hopefully change how I manage after dinner. I really do follow a good diet throughout the day, not skimping on nutrition and focused on what I am trying to accomplish. Once I am tired after dinner, I just don't seem to keep going with the program. I think I will brush my teeth after dinner cuz that will really be a deterrent of some kind. Thank you all again,