Depressed =/

samanthalynne21
samanthalynne21 Posts: 140 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Even though I am started on this and in the beginning of changing my lifestyle I feel really depressed and I dont know why...Like I have the motivation and I feel it there it's just this empty space...I dont know what else there is..does it come with this whole experience?

I dont know...I am trying to keep my chin up high, but I feel so BLAHhh

:frown:

Replies

• I don't think feeling depressed goes with calorie counting. Watch your diet and make sure you are getting enough B vitamins, a good muliple vitamin/mineral supplement may help. If the depression worsens or continues for a long period of time you may need to see your doctor.
  • samanthalynne21
    samanthalynne21 Posts: 140 Member
    Yeah. Its not like crazy depression but occasionally I feel that cloud. Maybe because Im expecting alot to happen quick and its not happening..
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Don't get down! The results will come don't you worry you just have to stick with it :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    I get that way too because i have SOOOOO much left to go.....but just think of how long it took you to put on the weight....it didn't happen overnight.....i would eat lots of fruits and veggies that are high in vitamins because things like b vitamins and zinc can make your mood feel better.....and remember.....rome wasn't built in a day...(trust me though i have NO patience either lol)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Sure, it can be daunting to be so early on in the process, just keep telling yourself, you have to start now! It WILL get easier, you will become healthier, and you CAN overcome the little obstacles that being healthy challenges you with!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    My empty spot was for PIZZA!!! :wink:

No seriously..............we become accustomed to running to Taco Bell because our boss pissed us off, or a piece of cheesecake because Mom called us fat....................now you are dealing with your emotions in other ways.

Exercise is what pulled me up and out of the fog. Relief is right around the corner.........dont give up!

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    I have felt that way too. However mine was due to motivation to do something but not having a direction. I found that having a workout goal, like running a race and signing up for a program to do that race kept my mind off the weight loss and onto something more productive.

Good Luck. You'll be fine. :happy:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member

No seriously..............we become accustomed to running to Taco Bell because our boss pissed us off, or a piece of cheesecake because Mom called us fat....................now you are dealing with your emotions in other ways.

Exercise is what pulled me up and out of the fog. Relief is right around the corner.........dont give up!

Jeannie is really giving you good advice here.

But for me it was also that I was not getting my usual sugar 'high'. That was gone. It took me about three weeks to feel 'normal' again when all that processed sugar was replaced with real nutrients and my body began to function normally again.f

You're on the right track!!!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    I felt somewhat down when I first started because counting calories wasn't bad for the first couple weeks. But then the realization set in that I would have to do this pretty much for the rest of my life if I wanted to keep the weight off. I felt kind of like a prisoner, I missed the days of just eating what I wanted, rather than counting each thing and logging it. I envied those around me (even the fat ones) that just ate what they pleased, no measuring, no restrictions.

But after the first couple of months, I have almost become addicted to logging my food(and I've been doing this for about a year and a half now). Sure I generally cheat on the weekend, or still eat healthy but don't log. But come Monday morning I am almost dying to get back on track and log my food again. It really does become a new way of life that you'll get used to. And once those pounds start falling off and you start seeing results, it's the best feeling ever.
  • igmom
    igmom Posts: 90
    Focus on the positive things you did for yourself today. You won't see rusults immediately, but you are on the right track and you need to appreciate youself for that.
  • snowsflake
    snowsflake Posts: 214 Member
    I totally know how you feel. We are all food addicts and use food to help us with our emotions, as it was mentioned earlier. I know that when someone or something upset me I would grab a cheeseburger and fries. It made me feel better right then and there, but the problem still existed. When you start changing the food that you eat you start to go through withdraws, like a detox, because some of the food that is out there is full of junk! And everything is out of whack...your metabolism, your mental state, your skin, bodily functions, everything! It's easy to start eating better, the hard part is making it through the lows. The highs are good, but the lows suck.

You should journal about how you feel and see if you see a difference in your moods as you move forward. If nothing changes and you still feel the same way, you should go and see your doctor. For the first 2 weeks I felt like crap and I was depressed too, but then I started to feel better and better. It will get easier as everyone says, you just gotta stick with it long enough to see those results!

Good luck! :)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member

But for me it was also that I was not getting my usual sugar 'high'. That was gone. It took me about three weeks to feel 'normal' again when all that processed sugar was replaced with real nutrients and my body began to function normally again.f

FYI - I tried to cut all caffeine and soda from my diet for 3 days. Those were the most depressing 3 days. I was horribly sad. I added caffeine back in (diet sodas, only one or two a day) and I was back to my perky self right away, NO LIE.

I'm not advocating sodas here.... I'm just saying that our bodies can go through real withdrawls from foods and drinks and sugars. This may be your case, maybe not.

Exercise ALWAYS helps though. Endorphines rock!! :flowerforyou:
  • mhayes13
    mhayes13 Posts: 60 Member
    As my friend Kristi nots on you profile - "In a year from now you will wish you started today." You have started and that is half the battle - stick with it and you fight through it. Hook up with a few firends here to talk things out with. We are here if you need us.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member

FYI - I tried to cut all caffeine and soda from my diet for 3 days. Those were the most depressing 3 days. I was horribly sad. I added caffeine back in (diet sodas, only one or two a day) and I was back to my perky self right away, NO LIE.

I'm not advocating sodas here.... I'm just saying that our bodies can go through real withdrawls from foods and drinks and sugars. This may be your case, maybe not.

Exercise ALWAYS helps though. Endorphines rock!! :flowerforyou:

Oh yeah, I did the same thing with my Iced Tea and coffee......I had headaches and migraines. Once I took control.......got it down to 2 a day........I was fine.

I also think our bodies have to adjust to the new way of life.

Mine is very happy with the changes now!!:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.