Got a Kindle -- School me on what I should read

Options
lukeout007
lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
So...as the subject says...I got a kindle for my birthday yesterday. I'm ridiculously excited about the fact that it seems pretty much every "classic" novel ever written is free for the kindle. And I fully intend on taking advantage of it.

I've downloaded 2 so far...

David Copperfield by Charles D!ckens and Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy.

The question is...what should I read after these? Looking specifically for things that would more or less fall in the literary classics category (for now at least).

And just to be clear...Twilight, 50 Shades Of Sex...I mean Gray...and Harry Potter do NOT count as literary classics.

Replies

• lukeout007
    Options
    Love that I have to change the i to a ! in d!ckens.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was a pretty good read.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    Surprisingly, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was a pretty good read.

Not gonna lie...I wanna see the movie. But I'm not sure I wanna read the book...I always feel like if I'm going to spend the time it takes to read a book there should be some sort of intellectual stimulation involved as well. Somehow I doubt that one provides much.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I was surprised because I felt pretty much the same way; but I actually enjoyed reading it.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    1984 is an amazing read right now since it's all happening right before our eyes.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Atlas Shrugged
  • hasturm
    hasturm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Only read Atlas Shrugged if you are a soul-less money zombie. Kidding :) But only kinda...

I think it depends on the experience you are looking for. I think a great summer read is Les Miserables, and I'm pretty sure it's public domain.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I love Homer's Odyssey :) Been a fave since high school
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Rent books for your Kindle for free from your library
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,005 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nmgtz03
    nmgtz03 Posts: 27
    Options
    Anything by John Steinbeck. My favorites are The Pearl and East of Eden. :)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Check out all the daily freebies that amazon has, I don't have a kindle yet but you don't have to have one either, kindle for PC is free and since they offer free books daily it's quite easy to build up a collection... now some of them may not be the most interesting but the price is right ;)
    Recipe guides, how to guides, romance, sci-fi / fantasy (the romance stuff was already covered, not THAT kind of fantasy), if you want it chances are there'll be a free one you can check out and if you decide you don't like it, ditch it.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (didn't see the movie but the book is great)
    The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (saw the movie - no comparison to the book!)

Great choice with Anna Karenina - WONDERFUL
  • jzrharv
    jzrharv Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Sherlock Holmes collection. And as I recall, it's free.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Only read Atlas Shrugged if you are a soul-less money zombie. Kidding :) But only kinda...

I think it depends on the experience you are looking for. I think a great summer read is Les Miserables, and I'm pretty sure it's public domain.

The Road to Serfdom
  • newfette81
    newfette81 Posts: 185
    Options
    Life of Pi is a good read is my Yann Martle

its also being made into a movie that will be released in November but I don't know how it will do
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Free Classics, I recommend White Fang
    For Pure Enjoyment, The Sword Of truth series by Terry Goodkind. The. Best. Series. I've ever read (and re-read)
  • annahiven
    annahiven Posts: 185
    Options
    Some awesome classics:

Jane Eyre
    The Picture of Dorian Gray
    The Works of Edgar Allan Poe
    The Kama Sutra (cmon.... obviously)
  • bushs99
    bushs99 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin. Excellent read
  • RoosterB
    RoosterB Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Just read all the Game of Thrones on mine. Pretty good. looking forward to the next ones.