Over exercising?

Options
Is there such a thing as over-exercising? I'm trying to lose the last 5 lbs, and despite biking for 90+ min 5 days a week (doing intervals, etc) and following MFP carefully and diligently, the scale is NOT MOVING. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    It is just really hard to loose that little and takes time. I have been on the last 5 lbs for 3 months.

Keep it up. It will come. :happy:
  • TankLily
    Options
    Yes there is such a thing as over excersizing, I've done it too. Make sure that you are eating enough to support your workouts OR your workouts will start to burn up your muscle!!

Make sure that after your workouts you NEVER have a total calorie deficit of 500-1000 depending on your size. Also 45 minutes of cardio a day is all you really need. Try 45 minutes of Cardo 15 minutes of weight training.
  • tamshawn
    Options
    I have been there (believe it or not I used to be a runner and a competitive swimmer). Stubborn plateaus (sp?) as you apporach your ideal weight are your bodies way of telling you that you are where you should be. You can fight below those points...but your body will try hard to put that weight back on.

What is left out of your statement is how close your goal is to your ideal weight. And many people would argue what ideal is.

At one point in my life, I worked hard and got down to 153...but once I eased up (and I mean reasonably eased up) I crept up to about 180. Still a great weight for my build. And I stayed there..for a while...but then I gave up the exercise (for various reasons)...changed my eating habits for the worse (eating like an active person, but not being one)...and the weight started to pile on.

So like I said...it is relative. Are you 5 pounds away from a realistic goal...or are you trying to lose 5 pounds that you just don't really need to lose?
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    not for me some times i skip what i write in the exercise log :frown: and sometimes i don:t write everthing i eat in food journal like yesterday i skiped exercise did good on my food you could add fruit its full of fiber
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Is there such a thing as over-exercising? I'm trying to lose the last 5 lbs, and despite biking for 90+ min 5 days a week (doing intervals, etc) and following MFP carefully and diligently, the scale is NOT MOVING. Any suggestions?

You're not giving your body anything new to adapt to. Biking is probably the easiest modality of work for the body to adapt to which means if your goal is weight loss there are a thousand other things you could be doing that would be more beneficial to you. I wouldn't doubt it if you have already started to put back on more weight if you haven't already. Add some resistance conditioning to your regimen and other various forms of cardio. 30 minutes to an hour is all most people need. One good thing about biking for 90 plus minutes a day is that you probably have excellent cardio-respiratory health but that's about it. The good news is that your excellent cardio-respiratory health should give you an excellent foundation for adding other modalities of exercise to your routine. The scale won't move unless you hang up your bike for a while and try other things.