Should I count calories burned while standing?

Options
I am a teller at a bank and not a thin gal so according to http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/calculator.cgi the calories I burn standing on my feet for 7 hours a day at my weight is:
Activity Calories burned

Standing

Should I log this into my exercise diary on here?

Thanks in advance all.

:wink:

Replies

• 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    No you shouldn't
  • dreamsofescaping
    dreamsofescaping Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    No you shouldn't

May I ask why they don't count? (Just curious) :smile:
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    When you fill out your profile for this site to get the number of calories you should be taking in, you should pick something other than sedentary. Assuming you did that, your job should be taken into consideration. For example, I put sedentary for me as I sit at a computer all day long. The only thing I count is workout calories burned or on occasion, if I do whole house cleaning for several hours I will log that but only count half of the calories they give.
  • wyomingmama
    wyomingmama Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat those cals! We almost always eat more cals then we think. It will help you hit 2 pounds per week! Your body won't starve if you don't eat them! And you may hit your goal faster!!! Keep it up!
  • Remi79
    Remi79 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm a bank teller as well and I run my *kitten* off at work. I don't count those as exercise though, because I do it every day.
  • Gunnarbear
    Gunnarbear Posts: 186
    Options
    Standing is not giving you any exercise benefit, cardio benefit, or strength benefit. You can count it if you want, but I fail to see the advantage of doing it.
  • tangoa24
    tangoa24 Posts: 27
    Options
    When you fill out your profile for this site to get the number of calories you should be taking in, you should pick something other than sedentary. Assuming you did that, your job should be taken into consideration.

This...I work at a job where I'm on my feet all day (a bookstore) and I only log it as exercise if I was unusually active that day. For example, if I was speed-walking around helping people like crazy all day, I might log in 45 minutes of walking to add to my normal day. But as long as when you filled out your profile you selected a job that keeps you on your feet, you should not be logging that as exercise. Besides the fact that while standing burns calories, it's not elevating your heart rate, and therefore not considered cardio.
  • heres2anewme
    heres2anewme Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you had a fitbit or bodybugg you would learn that you burn calories just breathing. I have a slow metabolism but according to my bodybugg I burn 1.4 calories a minute. That isn't much but you have to refull your body to account for those calories just as much as you do your exercise calories. I'd figure out my BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and then back down a couple or three hundred calories from that. Remember you have to eat to lose and I don't suggest eating a really low amount of calories because your metabolism will slow down an you will quit losing. I knew most of this stuff but have learned a lot from the group Eat More to Loss More a forum here on my fitness pal.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I would not, I am a sylist and I never sit down and I walk around my plaza at work and I dont log it cause your body is use to your nomal activities . I would just put in what cardio workout you do everyday .
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If you listed yourself as sedentary, you could consider checking what the calories burned would be if you sat for the same period of time and then just log the difference in calories. For example, if the burn for sitting for 7 hours is 700 calories, give yourself credit for 300 calories. Alternatively, you could make sure you've set your activity level for lightly active or active to account for being on your feet all day.
  • dreamsofescaping
    Options
    WOW! Now it all makes sense! Thanks everyone for the replies and as to why they don't count. I truly appreciate the info and I forgot I already listed my job on here when I signed up. I think/guess I was hoping for extra calories burned lol. Now that I know the reason why it is not logged I feel better about it lol. Thank you everyone for clearing it up :)
  • heres2anewme
    heres2anewme Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If the calories she burned while standing doing her job counted she wouldn't be trying to lose weight, she'd be skinny. :happy:
  • joannbrunton
    joannbrunton Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    What is a "fitbit"
  • dreamsofescaping
    Options
    If the calories she burned while standing doing her job counted she wouldn't be trying to lose weight, she'd be skinny. :happy:

Haha, What is skinny??? I think I have heard of this word but have never encountered it personally.... Maybe it's like a mythical creature like a mermaid lol.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    What is a "fitbit"
    www.fitbit.com

It's a fancy pedometer that gives you a good estimate of how many calories you burn overall in a day. I'm surprised you don't have the banner ad on the right of your screen. I do.
  • wjrockett
    Options
    Actually standing does give enormous benefits. It moderates glycogen peaks and insulin spikes, improves the function of lipase that breaks down fats and builds core strength. It does use more calories and improves metabolic function.