Dead Metabolism?

Options
So, I try to reach my goal for calories every day, which is 1300, but sometimes I fall a little short.
Even when I work out, I usually only eat 1300 calories., which I now know is not good and I have to eat back some of my calories so I don't fall into a really big deficit.

Anyway, I don't eat that much because I don't feel hungry. Even when I've exercised a lot, or if I haven't eaten in 5 or 6 hours, I don't really feel hungry. I have to remind myself to eat meals every now and then because I just don't feel the urge to eat.
When I told my friend in a nutrition program about this, she suggested that my metabolism might be really slow. Or in our words, "broken".

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to try and pick up my metabolism besides eating frequently? Is there a certain kind of food that could help me?

Thanks guys. C:

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I've heard that pineapple makes your metabolism faster. And it's freaking yummy.
  • c501
    c501 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    My experience tells me more water, get a probiotic from the health food store or just Walmart is fine too. That helps get the sluggish digestion moving. It will make you feel so much better and give you a glow to your skin. Dont eat too little calories. I know that sounds strange but if you dont eat enough, it puts your body into starvation mode which will give you a dead metabolism. Ask your doctor how many calories he thinks you should have. Seriously, if you eat all the calories your body needs, it will loose weight faster. Believe me , I know.
  • projektai
    projektai Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've heard that pineapple makes your metabolism faster. And it's freaking yummy.

Really, pineapple? o:
    I should try and keep some in the house then!

Thank you c501, I'll try to drink plenty of water, and make sure I eat all of my calories. :]
  • c501
    c501 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Also, My exercise trainer said that if you eat a protein, healthy fat,(like nuts or PB or olive oil) and a vegetabe or one fruit every 2-4 hours 5 times a day, you will loose weight . The first time I did this, I lost 6 pounds in 3 days. Good luck to you
  • projektai
    Options
    Also, My exercise trainer said that if you eat a protein, healthy fat,(like nuts or PB or olive oil) and a vegetabe or one fruit every 2-4 hours 5 times a day, you will loose weight . The first time I did this, I lost 6 pounds in 3 days. Good luck to you

Well after tracking my nutrition in MFP, it's been telling me I'm having too much protein. I think I'll try to add more healthy fat into my diet though, I don't get a lot of it. Thanks for your insight! ^ - ^
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    MFP is notoriously low for protein.

If you are healthy, you can eat protein to your hearts content. I try to get around 80g per day, but a lot of people, especially lifters, eat way more. It fills you up, too :)
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

Well after tracking my nutrition in MFP, it's been telling me I'm having too much protein. I think I'll try to add more healthy fat into my diet though, I don't get a lot of it. Thanks for your insight! ^ - ^

You really don't have to worry about getting too much protein. The counts on MFP are too low, for protein, at least. With as much as we're doing in terms of lifting and stuff, you're going to need the extra protein.
  • projektai
    Options
    Oh, I had no idea. I usually get about 60g or more of protein in a day.
    Well, good to know I'm not overloading on protein! Lol
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your metabolism doesnt die unless you do. And its more likely than not that your metabolism is fine. But you have physically and pscyhologically trained yourself to eat less. Its actually really easy to suppress your hunger signals. So what you can do, even though you dont want to, is started adding an additional snack or eat higher calorie foods, even to include eating peanut butter out of the jar. Or you can also get a higher calorie protein shake like muscle milk which is 300 calories per two scoops. Under eating can prevent weight loss. So eat more and if that doesnt work then get some blood work.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I think you're probably fine, just keep going and do your best. :)

Meal frequency doesn't help your metabolism, it just works for some people because it suits their life. It's best to eat in a way that works for you.

I doubt your metabolism is broken, but exercise should help. Muscle raises your metabolism but it isn't easy to build...
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I would first go to a doctor to have your thryoid levels tested. Then, if everything comes out OK, add a little bit more to your daily routine, calorie-wise. An easy way to do this is to have a post-workout drink, like Muscle Milk, a whey protein shake, a glass of chocolate milk, etc. It's not usually a good idea to drink calories, but if you are not hungry and need more, this is easier.
  • projektai
    Options
    Hm. I don't know if I trained myself psychologically to eat less, but its possible. I'll try to add more to my diet, and thanks for the tip Dragon! I was already debating protein shakes, but I wasn't sure since I thought I was getting enough protein as it is. I might ease myself into having my calories by drinking them, and then try to have a bit more food instead.

And thanks Capricious! I'm trying to build a little bit of muscle. Not like She-Ra, but just toned. ^ - ^
    It won't be easy, but I'll keep trying.
    Plus, I didn't know meal frequency didn't help your metabolism...
    Good to know!
    By the way, I love your tracker. It's adorable :heart:
  • ChesKrieg
    ChesKrieg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism will increase or decrease depending on your size, don't buy into eating/drinking something will increase/decrease it.