Am i getting enough calories?

Options
Hi all, pretty new here. From what I set my goals at, MFP has me set to eat about 1400 calories as my lowest amount. Once figuring in excercise (45 min walk and cardio and/or circuit) it adds calores that I should eat. I'm finding that I just cannot eat the amount of calories I'm being told to without just flat out eating garbage. Since my wife and I work out after our son has gone to sleep, I'm going from being within 100 Calories of target to 500-600 calories short. I can't possibly eat that at 8:30pm.

Long story short (too late), I'm netting somewhere between 800 and 1000 calories a day despite eating 1800-2200 calories total per day. Does the net amount really matter at that point if I'm still eating a total of 2000 cal.?

Replies

• s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    I hope that you get some good answers on this.

There are differing opinions on this. From what I've read, some people feel that you have to net at least 1200 calories where as some feel that you shouldn't eat your exercise calories back at all. It's all in your own personal preference. If you are making sure you are getting enough to eat that you don't feel starved and you are making sure that you are getting enough of your vital nutrients then I don't see what the problem is for short term.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I too have a hard time reaching my goal... however you could try eating more calorie dense food if it concerns you. Red meats, nuts, nut butters, eggs, whole wheat grains, and full fat dairy are all foods that are not "flat out garbage" and are calorie dense.

I think that as long as you're getting the right macro percentages, meeting all your vitamin/mineral needs and are eating at least 1800 calories you should be okay but in the long run you may to want to eat back some of those exercise calories.
  • dany_m
    dany_m Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you know that you'll be working out at night then you could always increase your intake during the day so that you are not left with a huge amount of calories after the workout. If 'junk food' fits your macros (carbs, fat, sodium) then there is no reason why you can't enjoy a little something at night :-) I really enjoy my dark chocolate and bikkies at night :-)