So confused!

Options
So, I realized this is the millionth post about these same questions, but...

I'm 5'7" (I like to say I'm 5'8", but we all know it's not true!). I'm currently at 194, and have been for a frusteratingly long 2 months. My highest was 226 2 years ago. I dropped 30 lbs pretty quickly about a year ago, went up a bit, then have gotten back down to 194. I exercise about 5-7 days per week, plus walk my dog. I can never eat all of my exercise calories back (I do the Arc Trainer at level 7 or 8 at the gym for 30-45 mins, which says it burns about 750 cals for 45 mins, I adjust that down), or I run. I lift frequently (3 days a week or so).
I'm confused. My BMR, according to fitness frog, is 1662. For 1 lb per week weight loss, my MFP goal is 1550 (why is my goal lower than my BMR?). Some days it's a struggle to eat that much (except when I have drinks! Boy do those add up!) and I am never able to eat back my exercise calories. I've tried to be better in the last 2 weeks about not being too far under...Last week (the one that just ended) was was 3283 cals under for the week, the week before I was 1201 cals under for the week, the week before that I was 1580 under for the week and the week before that I was 4351 under for the week. I can try to eat more, I definitely can, but I'm just so frusterated that I haven't lost any weight!!
Don't get me wrong. The other day I read that the US Army fitness requirements for 31 year old women (which I am) was 17 pushups in 2 minutes, between 35-42 pushups was considered excellent. So I did 42 in 2 minutes. Then another day I ran interval sprints for 3.5 miles and felt awesome...I feel good and I'm trying not to focus too much on the numbers, but it's frusterating!! What else can I do? Is it just as simple as upping my calories???
I don't eat a lot of meat, mostly because I don't know how to cook it. I don't drink at home and I try not to eat junk. I also waitress on the weekends, which burns a CRAZY amount of calories after an 8 hour shift! My day job during the week is sedentary, so m-f is when I usually push it in the gym....
Any advice or tweaks would be appreciated. I know there is more to life than the numbers and I'm in good fitness shape, but I would like to lose more! Thanks!

Replies

• HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It does sound like you need to eat more calories. When you eat too few, your body thinks there is a major disaster on hand--think the famines and droughts of our ancestors--and slows down your metabolism a bit. Not completely, but it definitely makes it harder. They say to "net" (this means amount after exercise) at least 1200 calories a day. If you are not hungry and cannot eat much more than you usually are, I would suggest drinking an after-workout drink (protein shake, Muscle Milk, chocolate milk, whey protein shake, etc.) for some extra calories. I hope this helps you!
  • tracyhall63
    tracyhall63 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am constantly in awe of folks who have trouble eating all their calories! Wanna share? Serioiusly the previous poster offered a great suggestion for post workout protein shakes. :drinker:
  • Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Wow, congratulations on getting into such great shape. Too frustrating that the pounds aren't disappearing... It does sound like your body is in "famine" mode.

I suggest nuts as an easy way to increase your calories, if you decide to do that.

An easy way to cook meat: Like you, I used to not know how to cook meat... then someone gave me a Hamilton Beach grill and wow: skinless chicken pieces - sprinkle liberally with lemon pepper seasoning, grill for eight minutes - fantastic! Fresh salmon - sprinkle liberally with lemon pepper seasoning, grill for eight or nine minutes - super fantastic!

All the best!