how to calculate calories?? really?

Options
So, by reading a lot of posts I am to calculate my TDEE less 15% to determine how many calories I can eat each day.

My weight is 164, height 5'2, moderate excercise (3-5 per week).

TDEE is 2221 - 15% (333) = 1888

so to lose weight I should be able to eat 1800 calories a day?

For someone that has a difficult time justifying the 1200 this seems crazy.

Am I doing this right?

Replies

• HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Try calculating your BMR and then eat/burn off 500 less than this.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  • lovinlandl
    lovinlandl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    So, I should try to eat the 1433 and burn 500 calories per day without eating back calories.

so, I am just short about 200 - 500 calories short each day I don't make it to 1400 and I eat 1200 or less?
  • lovinlandl
    lovinlandl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    thoughts?
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It's generally said that you need to eat at least 1200 calories. This site will give you a warning if you complete an entry with fewer than 1200 calories in your belly, for example, LOL. To be honest, I am not sure how concrete that rule is, but you do not want to starve yourself or lack in nutrients (protein, fiber, etc.) so I would say eat the 1400 per day per that calculation. If you find yourself low in calories, try drinking a post-workout protein shake, Muscle Milk, glass of chocolate milk, etc.

I am no expert, but that is what I would do.
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options
    I've been told that 1200 is just a MINIMUM that you should never go under. I'm not positive about how to figure out exactly how many calories you should eat to keep up with your goals. I've been netting around 1200 each day and losing weight as well as building muscle, so it's been good for me but that's just my own body. this kind of thing is very subjective.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. For example, I'm trying to gain weight (5'9" and 110... tired of having a child's body), and maintain or lose eating 2000 on rest days. You definitely need to experiment to see what works best for you.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    So, by reading a lot of posts I am to calculate my TDEE less 15% to determine how many calories I can eat each day.

My weight is 164, height 5'2, moderate excercise (3-5 per week).

TDEE is 2221 - 15% (333) = 1888

so to lose weight I should be able to eat 1800 calories a day?

For someone that has a difficult time justifying the 1200 this seems crazy.

Am I doing this right?

I'm taller than you and would maintain at 1888, and according to MFP I am 'active'.

The math really isn't different for everyone. The less you eat, the faster you lose. Don't eat below 1200 unless you're tiny. Don't try to lose more than 2 lbs/week. Other than that, you can just pick your eating level and your loss speed from in that window. If 1200 feels like too little and 1900 feels like too much, try 1400 or 1600. See what happens.