Advice Needed

Options
jody2807
jody2807 Posts: 115 Member
Well last night i finaly got back to the gym first time in 6 or so months . I done weight training and not to much to over exert myself
( to be honest could have done more at the time) But my thinkning was don't push it you will pay tomorrow and i did not want to not be able to do anything for a couple of days as a result.
Anyway my qusetion is I am sore from my finger tips to my toes SO do I have a rest day today to recover and be able to go again tomorrow OR do i still jump on the treadmill and go fo a run / jog ...my only problem is when i get on the treadmill i don not allow my self to do under 5 ks ( i get dissapointed in myself if I do - so i dont)
??? TO recocover OR run ?????

Replies

• kad254
    kad254 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'd say at least go for a light run because that can actually help your muscles recover. My coach used to send us on 20-30 minute jogs after competitions to make sure we weren't sore the next day. Also stretching or using a foam roller should help.
    If not, at least enjoy knowing you did a good job lifting.
  • jody2807
    Options
    Thanks you i think I agree as i have really only just got back in to the swing of things and dont really want to make an excuse so a light jog i think for me tonight :)
  • agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Run :smile:

I would personally get on there and go for it...20 min HITT would do great...or if you have to do the 5km's then longer and slower :smile:
  • jody2807
    Options
    Thanks Guys :drinker:
  • kad254
    kad254 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    way to be a champ and go for it!
  • jody2807
    Options
    Ok guys well I did it I went home and jumped straight on that treadmill and done 5.56 kms BUT i could not sleep last night as my right arm(muscles) just above my elbow is really sore to the point were it makes me feel sick to the stomach ( I know this will go away) But i really was trying to establish a routine , for at least three days cardio and three days weights but looks like I may have to miss tonight , I am not happy about it but i'am also trying not to complain as I think the best thing for me is to listen to my body today (and today will be my rest day ) Thank you everyone :wink:
  • AHealthyMe15
    AHealthyMe15 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've found if I take a cold bath...about 50 degrees or 60...soak for about 15 or 10 minutes my muscles are barely sore the next day the cold water reallly helps right after. It can be a little shockinly cold but worth it so you can get back to running the next day! Even just 5 minutes can help.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    If you are new to it don't beat yourself up. Train hard, give it your all, and be done with it. If you are truly sore take it easy the next day but the day after hit the gym like a champ.
    Alternating days is REALLY hard for me to do but actually beneficial especially with regard to weight training.
    Also, make sure you are fueling correctly meaning eat some carbs post work out and drink adequate water.
    Keep it up!!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to isolate muscle groups for working out so that you can do back-to-back days without overexerting yourself.
    If you're looking to do 3 per week, try:

Day 1: Cardio
    Day 2: Chest/Triceps
    Day 3: Cardio
    Day 4: Back/Biceps
    Day 5: Cardio
    Day 6: Legs/Shoulders
    Day 7: Rest

That way, though your back and biceps might be killing you, you can still do your run, and take your rest day after workign your legs..

Oh - and get your proteins. Your muscles need protein to replenish. Aim for at least 1g per lb of lean body mass.

(Edited because I misread)
  • jody2807
    Options
    Thanks I will definately try that .. But should I rest today or keep going ( I dont know) ? I do know if I go and do weight training tonight i will not be able to do the best of my ability hmmmmmmmmm
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will definately try that .. But should I rest today or keep going ( I dont know) ? I do know if I go and do weight training tonight i will not be able to do the best of my ability hmmmmmmmmm

If your muscles are sore, either do a very light workout, or take a rest and go for a light jog, or even a nice long walk. You can get hurt by overworking your muscles.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Ok guys well I did it I went home and jumped straight on that treadmill and done 5.56 kms BUT i could not sleep last night as my right arm(muscles) just above my elbow is really sore to the point were it makes me feel sick to the stomach ( I know this will go away) But i really was trying to establish a routine , for at least three days cardio and three days weights but looks like I may have to miss tonight , I am not happy about it but i'am also trying not to complain as I think the best thing for me is to listen to my body today (and today will be my rest day ) Thank you everyone :wink:
    [/quo

Exactly...be in tune with your body and know when you need to take a rest day...those muscles need time to rest in order to properly repair the tears in the muscle fibers in order for them to get bigger...plus you don't wanna injure yourself or overtrain and it take a toll on your energy and immunity (something I'm guilty of but I'm learning lol)
  • jody2807
    Options
    Thank you everyone NOW this is why i love this site :heart: