HELP! - Wanting to run :)

Yavi389
Yavi389 Posts: 32 Member
I'm about 350, and I really want to start running. Of coarse being my size I'm very uncomfortable running in public. I don't have a treadmill just yet (working on it). I walk regularly. But it's not enough for me. I want so badly to run. Just don't know how to go about it. I want to lose about 200lbs *give or take* in 2yrs. I want my dad to come home from deployment and see me as a healthier version of myself. Can anyone help me on the subject?

Replies

• runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    My advice, you need to walk first. Actually, you need to consult your doctor and do what he/she say, but from a layman's point of view, start by walking, your joints will thank you later. Make the walk challenging, walk fast, walk up hills, walk with a weighted backpack, walk for a couple of hours on the weekend. When the weight falls off then work on running.
  • toogsmom
    toogsmom Posts: 81 Member
    Couch 2 5k .... Its awesome! A running app that starts you at week one running a min walking a minute, going back and forth for 30 min. At the end of 9weeks you are suppose to be able to run a 5k. Start slow ! What if it took you longer but in 18 weeks you could run a 5k. I started a cpl months ago and it was hard, definitely a sacrifice at times. When I started i could barely run at all, 1 min was hard. Now in just a cpl months- im a run junky and just finished a 10k.
  • shandajenkins70
    shandajenkins70 Posts: 26 Member
    thats what i did, i hate running but it seemed to get the weight off faster, i started walking faster and longer up hills etc, then did slow walk/jog combination to give myself a break in between did lil bit each time
  • Yavi389
    Yavi389 Posts: 32 Member
    Thanks. I used to be 500+. So I know I can do whatever it takes to be healthy. I guess I'm just being impatient. Lol, I gotta work on that. :)
  • toogsmom
    Definitely consult with a dr first! Then when your walking you can always jog/ for short spurts even if its 20 or 30 secs, to really boost your heart rate. Then walk until you catch your breath and can go again!! Increasing jog/ time as you can until you are jogging more and walking less
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I'm about 350, and I really want to start running. Of coarse being my size I'm very uncomfortable running in public. I don't have a treadmill just yet (working on it). I walk regularly. But it's not enough for me. I want so badly to run. Just don't know how to go about it. I want to lose about 200lbs *give or take* in 2yrs. I want my dad to come home from deployment and see me as a healthier version of myself. Can anyone help me on the subject?

I've never done it, but LOTS of people have had unbelievable success with c25k. If you want to run, just run, for one minute during your walk. Walk for a couple minutes, and run for another minute. Don't push yourself to run fast- run at the pace that looks like a run but feels like a slightly fasting than walking shuffle- the speed you would cross the road at if a car was waiting for you to cross- that shuffle :). You keep run/walking and over time you extend the length of the runs and shorten the walking recovery time. But I can't stress enough that you should be doing the runs SLOWER than you would think- your speed will build with time, you need to build endurance first. Speed means nothing without endurance.

My next tip is to go to a running store and get fitted for proper shoes. Its an investment in your running future that you need to make to avoid injury. And it has to be a running specialty store, they give you specific shoes for your gait.

Third, put really loud music on. Tune out your surroundings. The running community is actually really supportive, and every runner (with a few exceptions) started out huffing and puffing at some point, and will cheer on your efforts. Other people don't matter- ignore them. I make sure to send out a smile or a "you go girl" when I see new runners or heavier runners, because you are really inspirational.

That all being said, YOU GO GIRL!
  • Sules02
    Sules02 Posts: 19 Member
    Just go out there and do it!
    I think if anyone is looking at you they are actually saying in there minds "Look at her going for it"...I wish I could remember where I read a blog about a runner, a well known ultra runner, who kept seeing this women out running who was overweight. He wanted so badly to tell her what a great job she was doing and how she was such an inspiration to him and his running. He said she never looked up at him....Dang! I will try to find it. I have a few lose ties to a lot of ultrarunners and they are truly amazing and inspiring people. They run because they LOVE doing it, not because it's cool but because they truly love it. Check out the book "Born To Run". Unfortunately, the lead character "Caballo Blanco" aka Micha True was found dead a few months ago and the whole running community has been in shock. Please befriend me and let me know how you are doing....Mostly just get out and run!!! We all ran as children and it's such a freeing feeling....... Just go slow, walk when you have to and don't worry about milage it is supposed to be FUN and if you have to walk then so be it walk! Soon you will be running!! RUN FREE! as Caballo would say!
    I will look for the story too....it is amazing!
  • toogsmom
    I was self conscious too, when I first started running. Kinda thought everyone would be like what is that fat girl doing? Don't she know she can't run! But I had a friend to tell me to ignore that, there is something very inspirational about seeing someone making an effort for change. Usually tge heavier a person is the more inspirational. She was right, I haven't had anyone to stop and laugh , but I have had people / neighbors to comment on how it inspired them to do more. Or how they were like wow, she's our there again and it made them realize how lazy they were. People have even cheered me on. Want to know when I stopped caring what others thought??? When I saw that it was working for me, who cares what they think; im loving myself enough to try to change my life- you just sit back and watch cause I got something to prove!!! Im gonna prove im worth fighting for! FIGHT FOR IT GIRL! YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE!!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    If your doctor clears you to run - just do it!
    I found that having a program to follow (I used C25K but there are lots of others out there too) really helped because it gave me "permission" to walk after running for 60 seconds, then 90 seconds, then 3 mins etc.

Whatever you do, take it slowly and at your own pace. It's easy to get really enthusiastic and then injure yourself which can stop you in your tracks for a while.
    If you follow C25K or another program, don't feel you have to progress onto the next week immediately - it took me a few days to even get through the first day (8 x 1 min runs), so I just took it slow and progressed onto the next day when I could finish the previous one without dropping on the spot at the end.

And don't underestimate the importance of rest days. Make sure you only run a few days a week (c25K says 3 days). You need to give your body time to heal in-between times. You can still do something that is lower impact (walk, swim, stretch, cycle etc) but definitely don't run every day.

And don't stress about running outside. I've discovered that most people who are out on the streets are quite self-absorbed and involved in what they are doing and don't care less a bout anyone else. And if they do look at you - just give them a smile and move on, they'll probably smile back!
  • szuszanna
    szuszanna Posts: 38 Member
    Not sure if this is an option for you, but I run through one of the grave yards here in town. Its a mixture of paved and gravel, with lots of hills, so its a bit of a challenge, but its very peaceful, and I very rarely see a lot of people. Gives me a good motivation for running too, so I don't end up there before my time! I've been doing the c25k program, and found it to be really easy to follow. I haven't done any exercise in about 13 years, and this took the pressure off for me. I actually found that if I add a 4th day in for the week instead of doing just the 3 that I'm better prepared mentally for the next weeks runs. Definitely get good shoes, and a good sports bra for the girls too!
  • jrs5444
    jrs5444 Posts: 86
    Definitely always check with your doctor first! If he/she gives the ok, I started the c25k app a few weeks ago...then I bought an iPhone and had to download "Get Running" which is basically the same thing. But like someone else said, don't be discouraged if it takes you more than the 9 weeks that it's "supposed" to take to get there...I am having to repeat week 2 right now lol. Good luck! And awesome job on the success you've had losing weight so far! =)
  • start121
    start121 Posts: 38 Member
    Agree wth everyone saying to check with Dr first, but also be considerate of your other training. I've a lot to lose and have only just started doing little bits of running (under the guidance of a personal trainer). But I checked with a consultant that I wasn't going to be putting my knees under too much stress - didn't want to cripple myself. He said as long as it was part of a bigger programme - including a lot of strength training - then it would be fine for me. So I do lots of squats and lunges and cross trainer and stair master and bike and step ups and other things to help strengthen all the leg muscles and core muscles I use when running. By doing that I'm now able to run for about 10-12mins before I feel like collapsing lol. I've also invested in nike free runners to help ensure my muscles and joints have the right footwear to help support them when I run.

Remeber to start small too... walk runs! The couch to 5k looks good (or C25k as it's sometimes called lol) Good luck with it!
  • slliwlt
    slliwlt Posts: 68 Member
    Excellent! I'm glad I caught this topic! I've been wanting to 'learn to run'.... My main workout is an elliptical... but I need variety... and I've always admired the people out on the bike/hike trails near my house... getting out-enjoying the outdoors and being healthy! My next step is downloading the C25K app (actually-it's downloading right now!)
    Let's go girl! We can keep each other on track!
  • I was the same when I wanted to start running. The fear is worse than the actual doing. I have an app called mapmyrun which measures your walk/run. I challemge myself for qucker runs on the same route so slowly you'll start running more and walking less.

Go for it - you have to start somewhere!!

Good luck!

:)
  • final10
    final10 Posts: 69 Member
    Didn't read all the replies. I do agree to talk with your dr, I didn't but ended up having to once I was injured. I understand wanting to run now but I know a lot of people that started off on a elliptical for months before they started to train to run. You will burn calories and strengthen your legs to be ready to run. I did not start on a elliptical and started C25k and ended up with bursitis and going to the chiropractor for several visits. He kept advising me not to run and the elliptical was a just as good a workout. I didn't listen to him completely. I did wait to heal and then started out with c25k and cross trained with elliptical/stairclimber/cycling. I still only run only every other day or lately every 3 days b/c I still rotate with cycling and now swimming, I have learned to enjoy all of them.

Best wishes!
  • trb85
    trb85 Posts: 81 Member
    Chiming in with good things to say about C25K.

If you have an iPhone or iPod, get the 5K Runner app. There's a free version where you can do the first week's worth of exercises. The paid ($1.99, I think it was) version has the full 8 weeks. You can listen to your music and the app will voice over and tell you "run now" or "slow down and walk now." It's really, really great. You can repeat the exercises as often as you need; you don't HAVE to do it in 8 weeks.

I, too, have a longing to run. I started C25K today along with restarting my MFP account.

Big grats on your loss so far and good luck in the future :D
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    I'm going to say your biggest problem is that you are under the assumption that people are going to care that you are running. They won't.

Anyone who is out "running" is going to think its awesome that you are starting down that path.
    Really anyone who is out walking, who cares about them.
    It will mostly be the teens and children that you are going to have watch out for, and they are kids. I still get shouts and beeps and stuff.

To sum up. just super inflate your ego, fake it. Get the couch 2 5k plan. Start now. (remember to go off at a slower pace than you think, speed will come after week 9)

I think you should see a Dr, but I mean you were 500 pounds, you can do anything you want.
  • LindaHom
    LindaHom Posts: 2
    The simplest and easiest way is to you your stairs (if you have them) As long as your joints are ok set your self any easy goal if so any flights. It may be 2 morning and 2 in the afternoon. As time goes on and your legs get stronger and more supple you will have built up strength. So take your time, ever step is one better than not doing. Dont over do it so it seems a bore, but allow your self to say well done! When you have your set amount- When you are a level that you feel confident with, then you can go outside and do a short walk/ jog. But you must always remember to warm your legs up before you start. So walk about he house for a while say 4 mins then do your exercises.

Take it easy, one step at a time and remember to tell yourself well done. Your body needs to hear that as well as you, good luck!
  • LisaJ2904
    LisaJ2904 Posts: 157 Member
    Couch to 5 K , I know this has been said but it is a really great programme. Also sign up for a charity 5k for 3 months time to give you motivation. I did both these things and I now LOVE running, who'd have known ? xx
  • LisaJ2904
    LisaJ2904 Posts: 157 Member
    I also printed of the "it doesn't matter how slow you go, your still lapping everyone on the couch" mantra and stuck it on my wall xx