Protein shake NOT after workout?

Options
Hey guys,
Just want some advice, even though it's probably a silly question. Would it be okay for me to have a protein shake at any time of the day, particularly in the evening before bed, even if im not consuming it as a post-workout shake?

Replies

• Matthewgd24
    Options
    yep, especially if you havent had a ton of protein throughout the day..sometimes they are good just to have since they taste good!look at it this way...it's better than chips, ice crea, or a chocolate bar, right?
  • Blondefitbarbie
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian too, so that source of protein really does wonders for my protein intake. Thank you! :)
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Yes of course! Its just protein and could be used as part of a meal if you want.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I never have a shake before, during OR after a workout... my shakes are always in the morning for breakfast, or at night for dessert lol Anything around my workouts are actual solid foods.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Shakes are just another way of getting your calories and nutrients, there isn't anything magical in them that makes them "work" or not.

Eat/drink it whenever it makes you feel good (and fits within your cals of course!)
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Yes you can eat it any time of the day. Getting enough protein is vital to building muscle, so any time of the day is better then no time BUT it's is best to get your protein within 30 minutes to an hour after working out...I actually don't know the scientific reasoning behind but I guess common sense it's because it gives your muscles the fuel to rebuild after a work out. I drink Muscle Milk Light which is 100 Calories or Pure Protein shakes which are 170 Calories and 35 Grams of Protein on the days I life and I always do it right after I work out. I honestly DO notice a difference. I feel fuller at the end of the day and it has helped me build more muscle than I have in the past.
    Don't drink before your work out tho, maybe it's just me but I find it makes me feel sick and sluggish
  • Cortni27
    Cortni27 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer tell me that having a protein shake before bed is actually really good for you because your body does a lot of muscle building while you sleep so when you have protein before bed, you give your muscles an advantage :)
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    i have a shake for breakfast (i always do fruit smoothies) and for lunch, then i have one after dinner (which is also after my workout) and if i need the extra calories.. i have another before bed! I always add fiber to mine also, so it really helps me with the evening snacking/middle of the night snacking that i seemed to always do! lol
  • maylene1853
    Options
    yes in fact i drink 2 a day, one first thing when i wake up like an hour before i workout, then one like one around 8:30 at night when those night cravings kick in and i want something a little sweet... keeps me from those midnight munchies....
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yes you can eat it any time of the day. Getting enough protein is vital to building muscle, so any time of the day is better then no time BUT it's is best to get your protein within 30 minutes to an hour after working out...I actually don't know the scientific reasoning behind but I guess common sense it's because it gives your muscles the fuel to rebuild after a work out. I drink Muscle Milk Light which is 100 Calories or Pure Protein shakes which are 170 Calories and 35 Grams of Protein on the days I life and I always do it right after I work out. I honestly DO notice a difference. I feel fuller at the end of the day and it has helped me build more muscle than I have in the past.
    Don't drink before your work out tho, maybe it's just me but I find it makes me feel sick and sluggish

I've noticed that too...they also make me feel full for a few hours which means sometimes I can't workout.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

1ff2d772-037e-4193-a5b5-1d1d5c3ae763.jpg