Willpower -- what?

Options
LittleSpy
LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
So I'm sitting at my desk at work at 2.45pm on Friday afternoon. TOM is here so of course I just got a chocolate craving. The man in the office next to me keeps a huge jar full of chocolate, so I think to myself "Well, I'll just go get one piece of dark chocolate with almonds." I had my mind made up, this is what I was going to do.
I've gotten into the habit of logging my food on MFP *before* I eat it, so as normal, I went to log it: 1 piece of Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate with Almonds. 55 CALORIES? What?! Um, yeah, nevermind.

And that settled that craving!

Replies

• lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    :happy: itS amazing what one littel pieceof goodness can do if your not careful keep up with the great willpower
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    There have been so many times where I have done that. I like comparing calorie meals. I will add all foods for a dinner and see what they would be and then enter in a comparable dinner. Many times, they are so different (knew that mac and cheese wasn't a good choice!) and helps me to decide which dinner to have.

Some things are so outrageous...that 1/2 muffin I wanted to eat? What? 400 calories?? No thanks :happy: MFP is my willpower!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    why was 55 calories scary? That's not very much.
  • ♥seoid♥
    Options
    Are you sure 55 calories is right? That seems like a lot. :noway:
  • RosieB405
    RosieB405 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I wish I had done that before I had these muscadines (which I love) even though they are fruit 2 servings later I am way over on my sugar.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    why was 55 calories scary? That's not very much.

Since I'm trying to stay around 1300 calories a day, 55 calories on a tiny piece of chocolate just isn't the best option for me when I can have a whole cupcake for 110 calories later (which is the after-dinner plan). :wink:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    When you're trying to stay around 1300 calories a day, 55 calories on a tiny piece of chocolate just isn't the best option for me when I can have a whole cupcake for 110 calories later (which is the after-dinner plan). :wink:

both seem like a bad idea IMHO. But you gotta do what you gotta do. but IDK, 55 cals or 110 calories is 7 minute run or a 13 minute run, so why don't you just run for 18 minutes today and eat both?
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    When you're trying to stay around 1300 calories a day, 55 calories on a tiny piece of chocolate just isn't the best option for me when I can have a whole cupcake for 110 calories later (which is the after-dinner plan). :wink:

both seem like a bad idea IMHO. But you gotta do what you gotta do. but IDK, 55 cals or 110 calories is 7 minute run or a 13 minute run, so why don't you just run for 18 minutes today and eat both?

No offense, but since you're male I'm really going to take your opinion about craving chocolate during menstruation very lightly.

I'll be exercising for at least an hour tonight, and I'm happy that I kicked the craving like I did so I won't have an extra 55 calories added on to my food total.

Congratulations on being a Debbie Downer.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options

No offense, but since you're male I'm really going to take your opinion about craving chocolate during menstruation very lightly.

I'll be exercising for at least an hour tonight, and I'm happy that I kicked the craving like I did so I won't have an extra 55 calories added on to my food total.

Congratulations on being a Debbie Downer.

It's also about moderation. It's not like she's going to eat a dozen cupcakes. It's a little treat - and if all were cut out of one's diet all the time - that would very unsatisfying.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    That reminds me of the other evening...at the gym. My 13yr old daughter had tagged along and was critiquing my every move, not to mention my flab and jiggles :grumble: . So, I'm steadily rowing away (my cardio cooldown) and she's on the rowing machine next to me, complaining, 'this is haaard, my tummy hurts, wah wah wah'.

I just smile.

After a few minutes, she asks me..."how many calories have I burned, mom?" I look over and say, "15, that's ohhhh...about 1 french fry" /grin. She exclaims, "what??!?!" I say, "yup, and if you keep it up for another hour and 15 minutes, you can eat a whole small order."

She gaped at me then shook her head. "Nah", she says, "no thanks!"
  • shan_occ
    Options
    Good Job for not eating that chocolate treat, 55 calories is 55 calories....lol If you are like me one chocolate leads to another...Good will power keep it up Good Job
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Good job! I know how difficult it can be to stick to your diet when you are on your period. The thing that sucks most about my period is that it both makes me crave everything in sight and makes it hurt really badly to exercise. The good news is that I read in Self a woman's metabolism is 4% faster when she's on her period because of all the extra work her body is doing. So the cupcake won't be quite as bad. :smile:
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Good job! I know how difficult it can be to stick to your diet when you are on your period. The thing that sucks most about my period is that it both makes me crave everything in sight and makes it hurt really badly to exercise. The good news is that I read in Self a woman's metabolism is 4% faster when she's on her period because of all the extra work her body is doing. So the cupcake won't be quite as bad. :smile:

Maybe that's the reason for all the cravings. :tongue:
  • cateblack03
    Options
    even though MFP tracks calories burned vs. calories consumed, our bodies dont' actually work that simply. it's a good place to keep a eye on what you eat, but just running for 18 minutes does not cancel out a cupcake and a piece of chocolate. food isn't just calories. the fat, the sugar, the fiber, etc all determine how we burn the fuel.
  • madmama
    madmama Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    We all have to allow ourselves those small sources of happiness once in a while. EVERYTHING IN MODERATION!!

So have that 1 square of chocolate, small order of french fries or whatever your weakness is, just make sure it is in moderation and not everyday.

I have a singles chocolate bar every evening after supper.

Yes I know some will not agree with my philosophy but it works for me, I don't diet I control what I eat by portion control.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!