Press ups!

Options
I have set a challenge for myself to be able to do ten press ups on my toes, currently as an untoned lady I can do one, so I figure I am ten percent there! Next step is then press up to side planks!

What other home/body weight based exercises are good for building up strength both to do the press ups and to improve upper body strength generally? And inspire me, how many pressups can you do?

Replies

• TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    planks will help you build up the strength for press ups
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I can do 20 press ups on my toes, possibly more now that I think about it, I haven't tried!! I like all the plank variations, like mountain climbers, twists, arm and leg raises, toe taps and so on, I think they really have helped my strength and have helped me be able to do press ups.
  • rougenoire
    rougenoire Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Mountain climbers look kinda fun, will be looking out for some more plank variations too thank you!
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    As people above have said try planking, mountain climber etc.... if you have a smartphone use the absolute Abs App, It's free and works... heres proof.

About a month ago I could only do 1 press up, I'm a bloke with no upper body strength AT ALL, never have, On Sunday night I did 1 set of Absolute Abs on Medium level, then managed SIX press ups, THEN did another medium level after.

So it works for me.

Good luck, I'm sure we'll get to that golden ten soon.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Although I agree that planks are a good exercise I would say that the best form of exercise for getting up to 10 full press ups would be Box (on your knees) press ups.

These are significantly easier than full press ups and will allow you to work your chest and triceps to the point that you can begin to incorporate some full press ups into your exercise routine. As you gain more strength you will be able to do less box and more full press ups until the magical day you can drop the box press ups completely.
  • melry77
    melry77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There is an article with videos and pictures on Scooby Workshop, laying out a plan to eventually do pull ups, beginning with "walk the plank" chin ups using a chair and then gradually progressing.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    There is an article with videos and pictures on Scooby Workshop, laying out a plan to eventually do pull ups, beginning with "walk the plank" chin ups using a chair and then gradually progressing.

Pull ups and press ups are different things.