calculate regular daily burned calories

Options
good morning all!

so i work in an office, but i'm the RMA department, so i handle all incoming and outgoing shipments. as far as office people go, my job is the most "strenuous". most days i'm running (or maybe walking briskly?) between rooms and putting boxes together and lifting heavyish (30lb-60lb) items. is there a way to calculate what i might be burning in a day? or maybe a site that might give me a general idea?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    When you signed up you told MFP about your daily activity: sedentary, active etc., and it's already calculating those in to your daily calories.
    Assuming you let MFP set things up for you. Some folks set things up manually.

Probably the best way to see how much you truly burn in a regular day is to wear a heart rate monitor for a couple of days. I did, and it was very close to what BMR/TDEE sites had said for me.
  • CaptainHandsome
    CaptainHandsome Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    nice that MFP does that, but it doesn't tell me what it's calculating - at least that i can find.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    nice that MFP does that, but it doesn't tell me what it's calculating - at least that i can find.
    If you don't have a HRM, then probably the best bet then is to google "TDEE calculator" and run a few of those, and decide which one you think is closest to you. I personally like the fat2fit radio calculator.
  • laurennburcham
    laurennburcham Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    get a heart rate monitor and wear it all day.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    get a heart rate monitor and wear it all day.

This.
  • KHoiriis
    KHoiriis Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It is not telling you, because it calculated it into your life style and that determined how many calories you get to have. There are also some different app's for androids that show how much you have walked and the calories burned. The one I use is called "Accupedo". I don't include it in my daily log, I just consider it part of my regular day.
  • CaptainHandsome
    Options
    It is not telling you, because it calculated it into your life style and that determined how many calories you get to have. There are also some different app's for androids that show how much you have walked and the calories burned. The one I use is called "Accupedo". I don't include it in my daily log, I just consider it part of my regular day.

weird, i just posted concerning apps.
  • CaptainHandsome
    Options
    If you don't have a HRM, then probably the best bet then is to google "TDEE calculator" and run a few of those, and decide which one you think is closest to you. I personally like the fat2fit radio calculator.

thank you! i'll check out heart rate monitors too. any suggestions?
  • missfelicia6
    missfelicia6 Posts: 174 Member
    Options

thank you! i'll check out heart rate monitors too. any suggestions?

I use a wrist watch by New Balance. It cost me about $70 but It has alot of features!
  • DJDonadic
    DJDonadic Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the following website? It lists a whole bunch of different activities from A to Z.

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php
  • spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit ultra and wear it all day to calculate this (and steps, stairs).
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Get a Body Bugg. Best way to know. :-)
  • BubbleGumKisses
    BubbleGumKisses Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I've got a MioMotiva Petite heart rate monitor wrist.... It's pretty accurate, and comfortable to use (no chest strap) I told it my height and weight, and it knows my resting heart rate and calculate calories burned by checking my heart rate... Only thing about it, it doesn't check heart rate automatically, I've gotta push a button on it to get a reading, but it really isn't a problem for me.... I love it! and it realllly motivates me to keep truckin!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    When you signed up you told MFP about your daily activity: sedentary, active etc., and it's already calculating those in to your daily calories.
    Assuming you let MFP set things up for you. Some folks set things up manually.

Probably the best way to see how much you truly burn in a regular day is to wear a heart rate monitor for a couple of days. I did, and it was very close to what BMR/TDEE sites had said for me.

Heart Rate Monitors are not meant for all day wear. The formulas they use are not accurate for anything but cardio exercise, and they will way over estimate your calorie burn if you wear them all day. I repeat, they are only useful during exercise.

For all day calories you need either a Bodymedia Fit, Bodybugg, or Fitbit.

Frankly, if you entered your information correctly when setting up your goal on your account, those calories should be already estimated in your activity level.

From the goal setter here at Myfitnesspal:
    How would you describe your normal daily activities?
    Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. nurse, salesman)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

You should probably have chosen Active since that is what your normal activity would be, although it could possibly be Lightly Active.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    I've got a MioMotiva Petite heart rate monitor wrist.... It's pretty accurate, and comfortable to use (no chest strap) I told it my height and weight, and it knows my resting heart rate and calculate calories burned by checking my heart rate... Only thing about it, it doesn't check heart rate automatically, I've gotta push a button on it to get a reading, but it really isn't a problem for me.... I love it! and it realllly motivates me to keep truckin!

For calorie calculation a chest strap is absolutely necessary as you need constant heart rate information, not just those times you press the sensor. When exercising your heart rate changes constantly, only a constant reading of it through a chest strap or some other means will give an accurate calorie estimation. Here is a good article on that http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472