pedometer - is there an app for that?

Options
i have one, called "accupedo", it seems pretty cool, calculates calories burned and steps and distance and so on, but i just downloaded it this morning and haven't had much time to use it yet. do these things work? are they accurate? are there better ones out there? i figure i've got this phone with all these sensors and gps and whatever else in it, so it must be able to do this stuff with some degree of accuracy.

btw, this is by no means a spam for accupedo, i've literally had it like ten minutes and haven't used it at all. it could be counting backwards for all i know.

Replies

• chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Is it a free download?
  • kranch25
    kranch25 Posts: 27
    Options
    I've got one. Not sure of the name of it, but it seems to work ok. I don't put much stock into the calories it says I have burned, but it keeps track of the steps, distance, and time pretty well. I basically use it when I can get out from behind my desk and go for a walk at work.
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    i have been trying to use an app for my blackberry torch called treadit. haven't used it much because i can't register it for some reason. but it cost $.
  • Kelly043
    Kelly043 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I use Cardio Trainer on my Droid phone. Love it! Tracks your distance/time/steps using the GPS in your smart phone. It is also free!
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I use the free Pedometer for Iphone, works well enough as long as you strap to your body and not have it loose in your pocket. the GPS and mapping on it is a huge drain on the battery
  • EmeliaFoo
    EmeliaFoo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo and it is fantastic. I use it on walks and hiking in the mountains and it always just works. The paid version also has elevation and a low power option but if you don't care about that the free version is dandy.

You could always go with Zombies, run. All the benefits of a pedometer and tracking software with the bonus fun of being chased by zombies!
  • CaptainHandsome
    CaptainHandsome Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Is it a free download?

yes it is
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I used the free Pedometer for iPhone. It's been iffy for me with both distance and mph (I have tested it on a measured track and it was off). I use it for time walked and an estimate of my mph. It is harsh on battery life, but not as bad as Nike+Ipod. There is also a free version of MapMyWalk that I've downloaded but haven't used yet.
  • MrsB724
    MrsB724 Posts: 247
    Options
    I use MapmyWalk. I like it and it was a free app :)
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I use MapmyWalk. I like it and it was a free app :)

Hello MrsB! ..

I use that.. but here where I live the signal is often bad.. and it cuts out on me! ..

Once my BF and I walked approx 19 miles (I nearly died LOL!) ... I went to 'save' the walk.. and had no signal!!

and it lost it!.. that was it.. gone! ...

It was a shame.. I wanted to see on the map where we got lost and how many times we had to back track.. haha
  • JlSimon22
    JlSimon22 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    What a great idea, i never thought of downloading an app for this! Thanks for getting the idea out there.
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I use Cardio Trainer on my Droid phone. Love it! Tracks your distance/time/steps using the GPS in your smart phone. It is also free!

I use this one too. It has options for alot of stuff. (IE: hiking, biking, running, walking. etc.)
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I use runtastic and it's not a pedometer but its maps your route for running, walking, biking, anything really. It uses GPS to calculate your distance, pace, calories burned, etc. I use the free one and I liked it better than mapmyrun. That's just my .02.
  • vsecret921
    vsecret921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i have the Nike+ App which has a pedometer and all sorts of tracking :)

But is is on my nano! So it think it is a different Nike+ app. Ny nano is the size of a half dollar and clips on. And it has a touch screen. It awesome! I would recommend getting one. It hold 4,000 songs, pedometer, pictures, clock, ect.
  • holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have a droid and use the free Sports Tracker app. Works great.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo and it is fantastic. I use it on walks and hiking in the mountains and it always just works. The paid version also has elevation and a low power option but if you don't care about that the free version is dandy.

You could always go with Zombies, run. All the benefits of a pedometer and tracking software with the bonus fun of being chased by zombies!

I use Endomondo too. It also syncs with my fit bit!