HRM Wrist only?

Ripgirl
Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello - I'm considering purchase of a heart rate monitor and have notice several on this site seem partial to the Polar F6. This model has a chest strap, is this correct?

I've never used one and assume that the chest strap is most accurate, but has anyone used an HRM that is just like a wristwatch, with no chest strap required?

Any insight appreciated - thanks in advance!

Replies

• Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Im so excited I just got my polar today at Sports City for $100 bucks the dude told me to get that one with the scraps because it is more accurate He even was wearing one and MFP users says the same thing so thats what I went for Hope this helps:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Hello - I'm considering purchase of a heart rate monitor and have notice several on this site seem partial to the Polar F6. This model has a chest strap, is this correct?

I've never used one and assume that the chest strap is most accurate, but has anyone used an HRM that is just like a wristwatch, with no chest strap required?

Just because of the point of contact, the wrist sensors tend to be not as accurate. Plus, companies that go the "wrist sensor' route I would expect are either trying to carve out a price niche or even avoid paying any licensing fees to Polar (don't know that that is an issue but it could be). It would make me wonder where else are they cutting corners?

To me Polar is like Apple and iPods. I don't like everything they do, but they are still the best in the market.
  • Ripgirl
    which did you choose, Shanta?

I notice there is an F4 model as well that is slightly less expensive.

Anyone have any input on model? I just want the basic functions - heart rate and calories burned, nothing fancy!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    The ones with the chest strap are more accurate, and if you're gonna go for it, you might as well get one that does the whole job. A lot of people here like polar, but I have the Reebok precision XT (I know a few others here have it too). It got good reviews and I got it on amazon for like 50 or 60 I think. I've had it for several months and I love it, oh and yes it has a chest strap.
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    which did you choose, Shanta?

I notice there is an F4 model as well that is slightly less expensive.

Anyone have any input on model? I just want the basic functions - heart rate and calories burned, nothing fancy!

Thats what I got just set it up simple and easy to use I set my weight height age hpm thats it if you workout in gyms get the f6 if not get the f4 what I got it was $89 plust tax
  • Ripgirl
    How's your F4 working for you, Shanta? Is it making a difference for you?

I ordered an F4 which arrived last Thursday. I brought it in to work with me this morning to get it all set up so I can begin using it for my workouts this week and it won't even turn on. I called the company I ordered it from who said that this one must not have been shipped in hybernate mode or whatever. Dead battery. So now I have to send it back and they'll replace it. Not off to a good start! :mad:

I hope having this thing (eventually) will be worth it!
  • darman
    darman Posts: 269

Hey Ripgurl:
    I bought a inexpensive wrist one from Wal-Mart that does HRM / CALS -and all the basic stuff - it is not the "most" accurate but I compared it to an online calculator and found it is always around 100-150 cals off so I just adjust the end result - and for the cost.....$25.00 I can do some of my own math........
    Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.