Everyone talks about eating before bed what about exercise

Options
justal313
justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
I'm going to try to move my regular exercise time to after my wife and 10 month old daughter have gone to bed. Right now I go right after work.

I'd pretty well be getting my workout in and then coming home and going to bed myself, if I can wind down enough to go right to sleep.

Good idea? Bad idea?

This way I'd have an extra 90 minutes or so with my wife and daughter every day and I'd get to cook maybe 2 days a week. I occasionally go this late now if our plans for the day prevent me from going early but since I'm going at 5pm the next day I'm barely getting 16 hours between workouts. If it's the same time then it's 24 hours between workouts.

Replies

• justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I personally can't sleep if I exercise too late. But you can try.
  • mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I can't sleep for several hours after exercising. I do think that if I had to do it consistently, that may change.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Some people have trouble sleeping for several hours after a workout. Some don't.
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I am able to work out, shower and go right to sleep. I have been doing this for several months. I say try it. If you can sleep, and also get to spend more time with your family, I say it's a win-win!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I worked out after my kids went to bed 5-6 days per week for over a year. I just recently started going on my lunch break instead. Anyway, I would wait for the kids to be asleep, exercise, have a snack, watch maybe 30 minutes of tv, then get ready for bed. It never messed with my sleep. :smile:
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    How late are you talking? I make a rule for myself that I have to be finished by 7:30, because otherwise, it does seem to mess with my sleep.

I think you could do some cool down/stretching/deep breathing to relax yourself. Just try it and see what happens. Good luck! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    If you can adapt then cool. Some are very restless after working out and it takes a couple of hours to wind down. Only way to tell is to do it for 3 weeks (consistency) and see.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mikesrobin
    Mikesrobin Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My husband and I exercise before we go to bed for simular reasons. We fall right asleep. Actually on those days it is eaiser to fall asleep.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i workout before sleep. as long as i shower to rinse off, i'm good.
    i also eat right up til i go to bed.
  • INFJ
    INFJ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You could try doing some yoga stretches and relaxation/breathing exercises after your workout for a sort of a cool down, or else I'd be too pumped up to sleep too.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I used to do this in my 20s. I worked out from 9:30 to 11ish and then went home and to bed pretty soon after. It didn't really bother me.
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else is saying, I can't sleep if I work out too late. In fact, I used to work out if I had to pull an all-nighter back in college; it always worked better than coffee for me.

I personally like working out at night though so if you have flexible hours in the morning, then go for it. It's tough having to choose between quality family time and working out.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Some people have no problem working out late. I have a hard time winding down, but that doesn't mean you will. Try it for a week or two and see how it works for you.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Most of my workouts are done in the early evening...just the way I prefer at this point. Hasnt had any negative effects on my weight loss.
  • fullofsmiles04
    fullofsmiles04 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I say give it a shot. When I first started working overnights, I had a hard time going to bed in the morning after work. I switched my workout time to right after work and after a 1-2 hour workout, I pass out HARD as soon as I got home. Working out after a long day (or night in my case) was the best thing I started doing....it lets me sleep better than ever!
  • Meloyelo2010
    Meloyelo2010 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have two kids, full time job and other adult commitments. I don't however have much of a social life at night, so, this has been my choice time to exercise. I'm able to settle down because I'm exhausted at the end of the day and I know I just did something good just for myself.
  • 45taylor
    45taylor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been jogging after 9 p.m. (mostly due to the excessive heat we have been having)and I go 3 miles, but have noooo problem going to sleep after I get home and shower. I think I actually sleep better exercising later.:smile:
  • PaperThinLips
    PaperThinLips Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i heard you shouldn't exercise less than three hours before bed
  • mindygood
    mindygood Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your body... I know how important that family time is... If you can't fall asleep right away what about getting up earlier and doing it before they get up? I know it is tough... but once you get going it is worth it!! I am able to fall asleep afterwords ... but everyone is different.