Lactose?

Options
mayerel
mayerel Posts: 254 Member
Hey everyone, just curious if anyone had developed a lactose intolerance later in life? If so, how did you know it was that and not something else (ie did you experiment with foods? go super restrictive then add in?) The past few times I've had ice cream or milk my stomach erupts in pain but I've never had this problem before.

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I started noticing that I was very ... uncomfortable ... every morning after I had Activia and chai made with milk. When I didn't have those things, I felt fine.

It turned out that cow's milk yogurt and milk (especially uncooked) caused the discomfort, so I stopped having those things and I was fine.
  • misspatty55
    Options
    It hit me later in life also. I am a big milk drinker and started having to make "emergency" trips to the bathroom. One clue is if stool is like baby poop (yellowish). I take lactose tablets before drinking milk and am OK. Generally cheese and yogurt don't bother me, but ice cream can.
  • alinakaras
    alinakaras Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've only developed lactose intolerance around three years ago. I've noticed that after having a milky coffee (latte or cappuccino), my stomach would hurt and I would need to go to a bathroom. This would actually happen every time I would have warm milk (i.e pudding etc). I've tried having lactose free milk (Lactofree) and it definitely helps, however I don't always get it from a shop (sometimes my local mini Tesco doesn't have it in stock).

I know I should avoid having milky coffees altogether, but unfortunately it is so hard to do!
  • Emily_Katherine
    Options
    I realized that lactose and I were no longer friends when the following delicious things started to give me horrible, horrible gas:

1. Cookies (with milk)
    2. Peanut Butter Sandwiches (with milk)
    2. Cereal (with milk)

Switched to almond milk and everything is a-ok.
  • alinakaras
    Options

I am keen to try almond milk, actually! I've never had it before though and I am not sure if I'm going to like the taste....?
  • Emily_Katherine
    Options

I am keen to try almond milk, actually! I've never had it before though and I am not sure if I'm going to like the taste....?

I never liked soy milk, but I like almond. I buy the unflavored, unsweetened kind that needs refrigeration once it is opened. It is light (similar to skim milk) and is slightly sweet and nutty in taste. It is not quite like milk, but pleasant. Try it! :)
  • alinakaras
    Options
    I never liked soy milk, but I like almond. I buy the unflavored, unsweetened kind that needs refrigeration once it is opened. It is light (similar to skim milk) and is slightly sweet and nutty in taste. It is not quite like milk, but pleasant. Try it! :)

I will definitely try then! I like nutty taste, as opposed to soya taste! Thanks! :-)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Yup, my whole family.
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I developed a lactose intolerance when I was about 14. Generally, there are some things I ate because they were 'worth the pain' (cheese and ice cream, haha) but since changing up my lifestyle I don't eat them as much anyway.

Yoghurt, interestingly, has never given me as bad an effect as other milk products (same with cheeses such as mozzarella, feta and halloumi), so I still eat cow's milk yoghurts (I love Muller Greek-Style fat free ones!) but on the whole I use replacements. I love rice and oat milk, and Bute sheese, but on an every day basis (thanks to my budget) I tend to use supermarket own brand soya milks (sweetened) and not use cheese.
  • nuclearbanana
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant myself but I absolutely love dairy products. I really can't go on without them. Usually, I have the most troubles if I drink straight up milk or pudding or the like. Foods like cheese and yogurt don't upset me at all, it's kinda nice. If I do have a glass of milk, I'll just take a lactase pill, you can find them anywhere, and I'm fine after that.

Just couldn't switch to substitutes.