Measured my RMR and...

Options
something doesn't seem right. I went in to my gym to have my RMR measured by a trainer with the body gem by healthetech. I found my RMR to be 1950 calories a day. They gave me a print out with everything I'd need to lose two lbs a week, which is my goal, and I came to enter it here. I entered it here and myfitnesspal estimates that I will be losing 3.5 lbs per week...

I'm a big guy and I get hungry a lot, so I was kind of startled when the printout from the gym alotted me 1681 calories a day.

Myfitnesspal alotted me around 2500. I want to follow some sort of guideline, but I don't want to follow one that will basically starve me or make me eat too much.

Maybe I'm entering something wrong, or adding too much exercise or what?

I'm currently 6'6", 310 lbs. I plan on doing workouts 5 days a week, MWF being 20 minutes elliptical and weight lifting. TuTH will be cardio, about 40 minutes. Is that too much for just starting out and not being in shape?

I appreciate any info.

Thanks guys.

Replies

• ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    something doesn't seem right. I went in to my gym to have my RMR measured by a trainer with the body gem by healthetech. I found my RMR to be 1950 calories a day. They gave me a print out with everything I'd need to lose two lbs a week, which is my goal, and I came to enter it here. I entered it here and myfitnesspal estimates that I will be losing 3.5 lbs per week...

I'm a big guy and I get hungry a lot, so I was kind of startled when the printout from the gym alotted me 1681 calories a day.

Myfitnesspal alotted me around 2500. I want to follow some sort of guideline, but I don't want to follow one that will basically starve me or make me eat too much.

Maybe I'm entering something wrong, or adding too much exercise or what?

I'm currently 6'6", 310 lbs. I plan on doing workouts 5 days a week, MWF being 20 minutes elliptical and weight lifting. TuTH will be cardio, about 40 minutes. Is that too much for just starting out and not being in shape?

I appreciate any info.

Thanks guys.
    i would listen to your body ..... if you feel your doing to much then try 10 minutes elliptical and 20 minutes cardio:wink: good luck
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Going into a diet and excercise plan I always seem very dedicated, excited and over zealous. My first couple weeks here I worked out every day for about an hour... and then I fell completely off the wagon for about a month... I kinda watched what I would eat but I didn't excercise, and then I weighed myself and found I had gained wait, and that's why I'm back... moral of the story... start slow and grow into it.. I think that'll be much more worth it. With the food, I think that 2500 calories are just right. But don't try and get to it... perhaps eat the best you can and see where your at for the first couple days and then work around that to reach whichever calorie allowence you go with! Good luck!!
  • BoilerMaker22
    BoilerMaker22 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The thing is that I'm the say. I'm really gung-ho for the first few weeks, and then I just get kind of burned out. I'm not really that fit, so I'm not quite sure where to start with working out. I want to do muscle workouts and cardio because my main focus is losing weight, but I don't want to lose as much muscle. I want to do 20 minutes of cardio (elliptical )MWF, do some chest, back, abs on monday, legs and shoulders on wednesday, and arms/abs again on Friday. Tues/Thurs would be cardio days, being about 40 minutes each. Do you think that would be too much for just starting out? If so, what would be a good base line?

Thanks.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    IMHO,

If you're someone who (by your own admission) goes gung-ho and then burns out, why not try a slightly more measured approach? I can tell you from experience that it's slow and steady that wins this race.

Forty minutes of cardio is quite a bit of cardio. I would caution you to remember to go at a moderate pace, perhaps even starting with twenty minutes on your cardio only days, and adding five more minutes with each additional week. That way you add more, increase your endurance without exhausting yourself, getting too sore and quitting. As far as your weight training goes, also make sure that you're incorporating some exercises that use your full body (ie: pushups) so that you're not shortchanging your workout time. You increase your calorie burn and your results. . .what's not to love?

Also, (again my opinion/experience here) 1600 calories doesn't seem like not enough, is a pretty big deficit, if you ask me. I might question the trainer/gym printout directly about it. I know that if your body fat % is quite high, that can allow your body a bigger deficit (as your body can essentially eat itself for fuel).
  • BoilerMaker22
    BoilerMaker22 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I'll start our slower with the workout and cardio, and give the 1681 calories a day a try.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I have started and stopped thousands of times. Lost 10 and gained 12 so on.

What is different this time is I started slow, with slow expectations. I changed something each week and here I am a year later weighing 3 pounds less than my goal weight.

Good luck!!:flowerforyou: