"eat" your exercise calories?

Options
I just burned 290 calories. It added the calories back into my remaining calories. Do you ignore or consume the extra calories burned?

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Here is how I view the exercise calorie dilema:

Most web sites take your info, including the exercise you promise to do each day, and come up with a minimum caloric intake per day.

On those sites I am at approx. 1500 cals a day.

Now they assume you will actually DO the exercise, but we all know we do not always, right?

So here at MFP they use your daily deficit on calories, give you minimums that are lower because it doenst include the exercise, and then you have to EARN those calories each day.

I love it this way because when I go down to minimum....I am at 1200....I know I HAVE to exercise for my 300 cals or I will be hungry.

I have to EARN it therefore it means more to me.

I am ready to embark on the last 10 pounds and we shall see what happens!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I gotta say, I sometimes excercise just to get those extra caleries so I can have dessert.. but when you look at it, it's not helping you out as much if you would pretend you didn't get those calories back.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,587 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, I eat my exercise calories. What the heck do you think I work out for? My health? But, seriously, yes I eat them. The calculations are right on for me to lose 1 pound a week, and I do that by eating my exercise calories. I'd much rather do something reasonable even it it takes longer. Starving is not reasonable in my opinion.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    I think that the extra calories should be eaten.

I'm at 1295 for daily calories right now, with my BMR at 1600. My BMR is based on daily life activity, and not exercise. If I don't eat the extra calories, I'm not fueling my body to perform properly. Those calories are given for a reason.

Also, if you have too few calories based on what your body requires for a day, you'll hit starvation mode. MPF adjusts the calories for you, so you can still hit your goals, and get enough fuel.

Hope this helps!:flowerforyou:
  • ♥seoid♥
    Options
    thanks for everyone's input btw
  • ♥seoid♥
    Options
    that is what i wanted to hear! i'm hungry and i am going to eat those extra calories! gotta love this!

:wink:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    that is what i wanted to hear! i'm hungry and i am going to eat those extra calories! gotta love this!

I used to say I will work for food, and I did! I actually stopped making dinner one night to go work out because I wanted to eat a roll with a pat of butter on it. I had enough cals for the roll, but not the butter so I went back and worked out another 20 min on the elliptical:laugh: :laugh:
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options

I used to say I will work for food, and I did! I actually stopped making dinner one night to go work out because I wanted to eat a roll with a pat of butter on it. I had enough cals for the roll, but not the butter so I went back and worked out another 20 min on the elliptical:laugh: :laugh:

I know right Jeanie I do it all the time especially for something sweet in once a while:happy: :laugh:
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    Most definitly!!I didnt know this until recently (just started here tho!) but my trainer said most definitly it varies from person to person but the net calories they set for u is too low not to eat your exercise calories, like someone else said it will put u in starvation mode! So eat up girlie!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I went out for a two mile run tonight, on my off day, just so I could have an extra 450 calories! :laugh: I Was hungry!
  • Bronwyn3d
    Options
    I love the fact that the extra calories added after exercise inspires you to exercise more! I hate dieting but this way of monitoring your calories eaten and burned puts it all into perspective.
  • qatarsessions
    qatarsessions Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am a PT and this works for me and everyone I train. You must count every calorie and wear a heart rate monitor to get correct calories burned.
    Find your BMR (use myfitnesspal tools).
    Subtract 200 calories from your BMR and enter that in your "Goals" under "Custom".
    Then eat that many calories plus exercise calories. Don't eat less, and don't eat more.
    You should loose between 1/2lb and 1 lb per week consistently if you have been close to your BMR already. If you have been eating more consistently and gaining weight then you will see a bigger weight loose because just going to your BMR calories will cause a deficit.
    Works like a dream.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I am a PT and this works for me and everyone I train. You must count every calorie and wear a heart rate monitor to get correct calories burned.
    Find your BMR (use myfitnesspal tools).
    Subtract 200 calories from your BMR and enter that in your "Goals" under "Custom".
    Then eat that many calories plus exercise calories. Don't eat less, and don't eat more.
    You should loose between 1/2lb and 1 lb per week consistently if you have been close to your BMR already. If you have been eating more consistently and gaining weight then you will see a bigger weight loose because just going to your BMR calories will cause a deficit.
    Works like a dream.

Ok but that advise doesnt work for everyone. My BMR is 1198 If I subtract 200 = 928 and that is NOT enough calories for a body to sustain weight loss, and likely will send me into a metabolism stall.

AND if I am working with a trainer lifting heavy weights, I will burn fewer cals during that workout, but will need more to build muscle and burn fat.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I love the fact that the extra calories added after exercise inspires you to exercise more! I hate dieting but this way of monitoring your calories eaten and burned puts it all into perspective.

Me too. I is such a motivater!! :flowerforyou:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I love being able to eat my exercise calories and I agree that it is my motivation to exercise. I wear a HRM and I admit that sometimes I do not always eat all of them but if I try to cheat the system and not eat them for too long, I stop losing weight. MFP put me on 1200 calories a day and I have been doing this since January. You can only do that for so long and then you start to feel "deprived". Excercise allows for the extra things...an occasional small scoop of ice cream or some pretzels with salsa...name your poison. My biggest is Lindt 90% cocoa chocolate.

I recently I wasn't satisfied with how quickly I was losing so I tried to increase my excercise and not eat all of the calories and ended up in a long platuea.:grumble: After I upped my calories to 1250 and started eating my excercise calories, it might not be quick, but I am losing again (about 1-2 pounds per month)

Enjoy the journey! :heart: Eat your excercise calories.:drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I love being able to eat my exercise calories and I agree that it is my motivation to exercise. I wear a HRM and I admit that sometimes I do not always eat all of them but if I try to cheat the system and not eat them for too long, I stop losing weight. MFP put me on 1200 calories a day and I have been doing this since January. You can only do that for so long and then you start to feel "deprived". Excercise allows for the extra things...an occasional small scoop of ice cream or some pretzels with salsa...name your poison. My biggest is Lindt 90% cocoa chocolate.

I recently I wasn't satisfied with how quickly I was losing so I tried to increase my excercise and not eat all of the calories and ended up in a long platuea.:grumble: After I upped my calories to 1250 and started eating my excercise calories, it might not be quick, but I am losing again (about 1-2 pounds per month)

Enjoy the journey! :heart: Eat your excercise calories.:drinker:

Amazing isnt it??

Oh BTW, your not going to lose more weight are you:wink::laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    [

Oh BTW, your not going to lose more weight are you:wink::laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    [/quote]

LOL!:laugh:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Eat them if you need them. I'll eat them most of the time because I'm usually starving, but if I'm not, I'll leave them.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with eating my exercise cals. Sometimes I eat them, sometimes I dont. Every so often Ill exercise for the purpose of "earning" more calories, but Im not 100% on what I want to do yet. I havent really lost any weight, but Ive lost inches and gone down a size. I figure because I was practically starving myself before I joined I may have some time yet before my metabolism adjusts to getting the calories it needs...then I'll work on whether I want to eat exercise cals
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

WOW! I love this, it puts a whole new perspective on how I look forward to a workout! As I have posted on other threads this, week I am new to MFP and also just started a running clinic last Monday. I have been struggling for this whole year to get my butt in gear. I never look forward to the gym even though I always feel terrific after I go. However, this morning, I pounced out of bed knowing that if I get my 30 min run...I get to EAT more. LOL Sad, but its true! So, I not only did my 30mins....I did 45! I was so excited to come back and see how it changed my numbers for the day!

Tomorrow I have a pool party with some girlfriends I haven't seen in years. I am so looking forward to it but I will not go empty handed, I will be bringing healthy snacks. But you can also be sure that tomorrow morning I will once again be pouncing out of bed to get in that morning run so that I have a few more allowable calories for the chickfest!

I WILL WORK FOR FOOD - my new tag line! Thank you guys!