how long have you been or planning to count calories?

Options
I was just wondering for how long have you been counting calories/planning to continue counting calories?
Once we reach the “maintenance”stage? Or a few weeks-months after?
I like logging in my food and seeing how many calories I am eating (and what kind of calories!), but I’m thinking that at some point, I will need to stop? But when? I don’t want it to become an obsession with counting stuff, I want it to become a lifestyle…where I eat well and exercise, without logging in everything.
I know I am not ready for that yet, but curious to know for how long other people have been or planning to count their calories.

Thanks 

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been doing this for 14 months now. I'm still a long way from maintenance, but I really don't see myself being able to abandon counting calories. Way too easy to overeat for me. I have to be diligent.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Off and on for about 12 years. Back then I used "fitday.com". I lost the 25LBS i needed to, and then kept counting for about a year. Then, once in a while if the scale crept up, I'd log again. This time I've been logging since about February, more focusing on fitness than calories.
    I plan to do it long term, off and on. When I need a tune up. This approach has worked for me so far. I've kept the 25LBS off.
  • CharityEaton
    CharityEaton Posts: 508
    Options
    I'm at my goal and still count. It comes and goes though. I slack off a bit here and there and then get back at it for a while. I like knowing exactly where I am. It helps me stay on track but I dont worry too much if I don't get to it. Especially on the weekends. I work hard all week and enjoy my weekends...it works for me!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I've been counting for 4 years (minus a small hiatus here and there) will probably continue to count even once I hit maintainance, maybe not quite as diligently but will keep a general idea of what's going in vs. out.
  • trudence1
    trudence1 Posts: 34
    Options
    I think I will have to do it to some extent my whole life. I actually like doing it, so it is a lifestyle I don't mind keeping.
  • kalyn_QT
    kalyn_QT Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    well ill probably wont reach my ultimate goal for awhile (like 6 months or more) but when i finally get there i will do maintenance for another half a year or until i can get i know exactly how to stay within that calorie limit.and know how much food i can have at that point. probably try a month without counting for a test period instead of just stopping to ensure i am doing things correctly.
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I did it until I could estimate my calories fairly well without using MFP which works for maintenance fairly well by keeping an eye on the scale. I still use MFP when I am trying to cut or bulk.
  • jumatwins
    jumatwins Posts: 74
    Options
    thanks for your responses everyone!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've been counting off and on for a couple of years, but I've been using MFP steadily for 6 months. I expect I'll keep using MFP once I hit maintenance for a long time. I'm obviously not a good judge when I comes to portion sizes and calories so if I need to do this from now on I will. I'd rather count calories than put the weight back on.
  • mgram2
    mgram2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've been doing MFP on and off for about a year.. but have been diligent with it for the past 4 months. Honestly, I LOVE getting to see exactly what I'm putting in my body and holding myself accountable for things. At this point I'm only a pound or two away from where I want to be.. but I don't see myself stopping counting calories anytime soon.
    It's my lifestyle now.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I intend to keep counting as long as I can. Until goal, and beyond. It's too easy to fall into old habits and I (will) have worked to hard to regain.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That's a difficult question for me. I've never really counted calories. And never logged food before joining MFP last year. But I have monitored my food intake for calories and nutrients for all of my adult life. Sometimes I slack off on exercise and put on weight and then I get back on track. But not since I was child have I eaten without any regard to what or how much I'm eating. I think in order to stay slim and healthy it is necessary to always think about your diet. But after a while it becomes habit and you don't need to obsess about it. At least that's been my experience.
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    honestly, I did not take it seriously, counting calories, up until this month:) I think I'll stay on MFP for a while and keep counting calories as well as reading labels better and making healthier choices when it comes to grocery shopping.
  • LisaB55
    LisaB55 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm in my sixth week, so I don't have that much experience with MFP yet--although this is certainly not the first time I've done this. It will take however long it takes to get where I need to be, but well over a year I'm sure. From the reading I've done about long-term weight loss and maintenance, though, I anticipate doing this more or less for the rest of my life. Given that I have wound up where I am, I'm pretty sure my ability to guess what I am eating and make sure that it doesn't exceed my needs is pretty poor. I think that i will always need to hold myself accountable for what I put in my mouth.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    My whole life.
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Once I'm at my goal I will find the sweat spot and I'll stop logging
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I only intended to do it for a couple weeks until I became good at eyeballing portions. It became a habit and I now enjoy being able to see everything I've eaten....and being accountable to myself and my friends here. I don't think I'll ever quit counting them.