being skinny is more unhealthy than being fat?

Options

Replies

• TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    where did they find underweight people in America?

:laugh:
  • yaymeforlife
    Options
    I would rather be skinny my whole life and love myself and die a BIT sooner than be fat and hate myself and live longer. Why would anyone want to live extra while they hate what they see in the mirror?
    Who said everyone overweight hates themselves and everyone underweight loves themselves?

Its Called an OPINION. I guess I should rephrase:
    Why would I want to live extra while I hate what I see in the mirror?

Better?

And yes it is physcological, just as people that think they don't need to lose weight when they do have phsycological issues. The only difference is the fat people are coddled, and the skinny people are victimized all because there are way more fatties than skinnies.

And I fall right in perfectly healthy BMI so this was just a pondering of mine, I don't ACTUALLY have phsycological issues with myself. I'm healthy and happy.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Being unhealthy is unhealthy. Doesn't matter which side of the spectrum you fall on.

THIS.

END THREAD.
    or... how about the thread doesn't end and the conversation is left for people who actually have an interest in such things?

It's true, though. Being unhealthy is unhealthy. It doesn't matter of your size....
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Read the entire paper here: http://www.jabfm.org/content/25/4/422.full

Staying alive for 6 years =/= "being healthy".

The thing that is most nonsensical about this study is that they are trying to separate out the effects of being diabetic or having hypertension from being overweight. These health issues go hand-in-hand. I mean, we know that being obese greatly raises the risk of having diabetes/hypertension, so how does it make much practical sense to say that being obese will not kill you as long as you don't develop these diseases? It's kinda like saying it's okay to smoke as long as you don't get lung cancer, emphysema, etc.

Some of the statements in here were also strange, like the conclusion that "the mortality risk of diabetes was lower among both obese and severely obese persons than among those in lower BMI categories." Really? I guess not correcting for things like diabetes type, cancer, etc., gives you a funny conclusion. Or maybe b/c the data is from self-reporting?

Also, while I don't think that BMI is the be-all-end-all, it can provide some decent, rough guidelines, unless one is very muscular or tall. It does correlate very well with excess fat. Sorry, but if you have a BM of 29+ and you're not muscular or tall, I doubt you are at a healthy weight. I think there's only much of a question if you're near the borderline of healthy/overweight (I'd say to talk with your doc, although even docs sometimes give bad advice when it comes to weight). And if you don't like using BMI, get your body fat measured. But I don't think *most* people at an unhealthy BMI will like that measure either.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Being unhealthy is unhealthy. Doesn't matter which side of the spectrum you fall on.

THIS.

END THREAD.
    or... how about the thread doesn't end and the conversation is left for people who actually have an interest in such things?

Interested in talking about what, exactly? Unhealthy is unhealthy - nobody should want to be unhealthy for any reason. There is not conversation to be had there. Instead you are going to get people who are terrified about being heavy trying to justify the unhealthy they measures they take to stay thin -- or people who are heavy who want to use this as a justification to lead to continue their lifestyle (that likely increases their chances at becoming unhealthy) at some point in the future. There is nothing legitimate to talk about -- just people justifying their unhealthy, warped perspectives.
  • adet983
    adet983 Posts: 138
    Options
    talking about articles like this are like trying to talk urself out of common sense....no duh being to skinny isnt healthy......no duh being obese isnt healthy.....just because one is a little worse than the other doesnt mean its a better alternative both are bad choices.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    People are nuts. Doesn't just being unhealthy makes you unhealthy. Being unhealthy has nothing to do with size. It just has to do with your activity level and what you eat and how much of it. We need to stop placing a label on health due to size and more on about ingestion
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Jerant and his colleagues, surveying nearly 51,000 Americans of all ages over a period of six years, found that "underweight" BMI was far and away the most dangerous category to be placed in. During the study period, the "underweight" subjects showed a risk of death no less than twice as high as the "normal" participants.

What does this even mean? " A risk of death"? When? Within a year? five years? What? We all die eventually...that tells me nothing unless you define "risk of death". Also, often times severe weight loss is a symptom of disease or other terminal illness so this could be an issue of cause and effect. Could it be that the under weight subjects were at a higher risk for death due to another underlying cause? They don't say that the the elevated risk of death is a direct result of being underweight...
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    correlation-vs-causation.jpg?w=495&h=382

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options

YEP!!! The Most Intelligent reply on the boards that I have ever seen.
  • akamom704
    akamom704 Posts: 4
    Options
    This is very true. I have read and heard about this several times. BMI has always been inaccurate as it did not consider enough diverse subjects during testing which is why I have never agreed that BMI would be the determining factor for health. Someone in the medical community needs to re-do it on a wider scale. There is also a lucrative marketing side to setting weight goals so dramatically low that the majority (if anyone) can reach it - it makes people buy more stuff to try to reach whatever is set out as an "ideal". From equipment to packaged meals and programs to pills to vanity sized double zero clothing to low-fat-calorie-sodium products to surgery, there is a profit to be had. If it were standard that a 30 year old 5'4" woman weighing 170 lbs was normal - too many people can attain that, so set it even lower. There's more money in it. Not to sound completely cynical but BMI has always been a flawed system. Even most primary physicians will tell you that.
  • akamom704
    akamom704 Posts: 4
    Options
    Absolutely right Bronx_Montgom!
  • hellokehtty
    Options
    According to the "BMI" scale I'm underweight. But in fact, I am pretty darn healthy.

BMI numbers mean absolutely nothing to me....there are way, way too many other factors involved.
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Was reading up on these scales, and discovered the "ponderal index," which better scales for height. In case anyone wanted to look at a different measure: http://www.health-calc.com/body-composition/ponderal-index
  • hellokehtty
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the only people under a BMI of 18.5 have an eating disorder. But, being at a healthy weight is still healthier than being obese.

Uh, what? I hope you're being sarcastic!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I personally love how they just cut out people with health issues. No discussion on how many people from each category had them. Maybe the "normals" only had to exclude 1 out of every 20 people for those issues while the "fatties" had to exclude 8 out of 20. There are ways that any study or experiment can be set up to say whatever we want it to say. We could say that amputation among young adults is very high compared to ten years ago if we compared military now to non-military 10 years ago.
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    correlation-vs-causation.jpg?w=495&h=382
    This is amazing....
  • aelitaangels
    aelitaangels Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on just how skinny we're talking. But I don't know if its more or less unhealthy than being obese.

To be honest I think the shock value of seeing an ultra skinny person is higher. Seeing obese people is fairly common and isn't bound to get too much of a reaction. Seeing an ultra skinny person is rare, and is viewed as shocking and disturbing because it reminds us of death and Holocaust victims.

But just because we find ultra skinny people more shocking/disturbing doesn't necesarily mean its more unhealthy than being moridly obese.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    where did they find underweight people in America?

FTW