Do you have a reward system?

Options
So after losing 17 pounds (and now putting 7 back on), I really need to find my motivation again. I keep coming up with a plan to get started again and then I fail. I want to come up with some sort of a reward system.....I thought of putting money in a jar for every workout,(which will be used later for a new outfit or something) but then what do I do if I dont workout? Obviously there will be no money put in the jar, but I dont feel like that is enough of a punishment for not doing it. I have also seen the marbles in a jar to see how much you have lost and what you still have to go and while I like that idea, I feel like I need a little more. Just curious if you guys have any ideas.....Thanks!!

Replies

• vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I treat myself to something for every 7 lbs I lose.
    Last week I got a new lippy and mascara. My next 7lbs I have my eye on a pair of coloured skinny jeans. Id also love a bamboo steamer and new wok for my chinese cooking I enjoy
    Iv previously treated myself to a facial.

Do you have any hobbies or interests at all?
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I don't have a reward system, I have a punishment one.

Every 100 calories a day I go over my limit, I add 5-10 mins of cardio (which I ABSOLUTELY HATE), or 2 extra weight lifting exercises (which I don't really mind).
  • betancourta229
    betancourta229 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing with a jar. I have set days that I go workout. I have two rest days. If I work out I put a dollar in. If I decide it isn't a rest day but I don't want to work out I have to take a dollar out of the jar. So far I havent missed a day! I made mini goals for myself and will use the money to get a facial,new outfit or mani/pedi.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When I was losing I had a strict rule: No exercise, no wine with dinner. That worked like a charm for me.

The reward for losing weight/inches was new clothes. The reward for maintaining the loss is still being able to wear the new clothes.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I do rewards as well as punishment, depending on if i meet a goal or not....here is my plan and my goals. Note, I have already purchased most of my rewards and seeing them in my closet in their shipping boxes UNOPENED is a great motivator:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AggieCass09/view/the-sneaky-and-steadfast-seven-290121
  • HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have had alot of reward systems in the past, but this reminded me I need to set up a new one! :)
  • last18
    last18 Posts: 1
    Options
    Here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cy60odOnUc

Stay motivated
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    When I reached my goal:
    I had a Photo-facial (groupon deal)
    +
    Zoot compression pants for jogging

Next rewards: (for maintaining weight)

1)Spa treatment

2)Type of gear for a triathlon (swimsuit or shoes)
  • CaliDreams27
    CaliDreams27 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My reward system is more of a continual one. Giving myself "prizes" for losing a certain amount of weight never worked for me because if I want it bad enough, I get it anyway lol During the week, I eat really well and try to stay to a minimum amount of carbs (and a calorie limit). If I succeed all 5 days, on saturday and sunday I get to eat whatever I want within my calorie limit. It may not seem like a big enough incentive to most people because I'm not going crazy, but to a sugar addict who can't have any sugar all week, I look forward to the weekends and its my motivation to sticking to my plan monday through friday. I couldn't do "cheat days" because they always turned into binges and free-for-alls so this works way better for me:) I can still lose weight AND have my sugar:) Every weekend is something exciting to look forward to!
  • LizJ08
    LizJ08 Posts: 127
    Options
    I've finally reached maintenance so I'm not losing anymore, but the thing that really worked for me while I was losing was to allow myself 100 extra calories on days I exercised. I never missed exercise after I decided that because I was thinking of all the things I could have for that extra 100 calories! Even though I'm no longer still trying to lose, I have my calorie goal set at maintenance and I know that I can eat back any or all of my exercise calories, so that has continued to motivate me. I'm motivated by food, LOL.
  • dida0721
    dida0721 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Something I might try that I just heard about is the website stickk.com. You commit to achieving a goal and put money on the line if you don't. If you don't complete your goal the money goes to a charity or person you disignate.
  • sleonardbranson
    Options
    I go out to dinner once a week and have a something chocolate....It makes me feel like I'm working towards something!
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    I don't really have a reward system per se. For me, the reward is beating my previous best time at a run, or being able to increase my reps or weights or being able to go to a pool or waterpark without my shirt on. That is what motivates me.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with rewarding yourself with a prize if that's how you roll. To each their own!!!
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I reward myself when I hit certain weight loss goals ( Ex: a nice mani/pedi for 20 pounds lost). To make sure I stay motivated, I use this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/615020-how-i-motivate-myself-don-t-break-the-chain

I have the calendar in a public spot so people know when I mess up. It has really helped me to form a habit of logging my food and going to the gym.
  • Coliepie717
    Options
    Oh, thats good! Taking money out of the jar....I like that! Thanks :-)
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I don't have a reward system, I have a punishment one.

Every 100 calories a day I go over my limit, I add 5-10 mins of cardio (which I ABSOLUTELY HATE), or 2 extra weight lifting exercises (which I don't really mind).

I like this!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Kindness is its own reward
  • chellie47
    chellie47 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I rewarded my self with a new work out DVD and a new scale...not sure that's much of a reward but its want I wanted~ :)))
  • scarnall2
    scarnall2 Posts: 18
    Options
    For every 5 lbs I lose, I treat myself to a new pair of shoes. Some people treat themselves to a nice meal, but that could be defeating the purpose if you end up following off the wagon. Pick something you really like, like shoes, jewelry, tools, vacation, a new Ipod?
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    First reward- Went on Zipline Tour with Family @ 60 pounds lost (Couldn't do this at my highest weight due to limitations)
    Second Reward - Going to visit my grandkids in North Carolina when I could fit in a size 10.
    Don't know what I'll do for making my goal of 140 pounds. Better start thinking that is only 22 pounds away