muscle

lizzys
lizzys Posts: 841 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
most people don"t want to hear this but fat and musle weigh the same so if your gaining weight it not muscle. muscle makes you look smaller at a heaver weight its water or icecream that causes weight gain from day to day

Replies

• angiered
    angiered Posts: 169 Member
    It all depends on how you look at it. Yes, one pound of fat and one pound of muscle weigh the same, but one square inch of fat weighs LESS than one square inch of muscle. This is generally what people are reffering to on this site. If you were to lose 30 lbs of fat and gain 30 lbs of muscle you would lose a significant number of inches, even though your weight would remain the same.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    I agree! A pound is a pound!! Muscle is more dense and compact so looks smaller where as FAT is squishy and takes up more room! I know I keep reading on here where muscle weighs more than fat but a pound equals a pound right?
  • angiered
    If I handed two identical boxes, one full of rocks and one full of feathers, which one would weigh more? If you are saying that a pound is a pound, yes.us That's true, but weight also needs to have a base in relative size. I suppose that “muscle has more mass than fat” would be more accurate, but the concept is still the same.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    the hole think comes down to if your putting on weight its not muscels its more weight:bigsmile: even if i would like to say i gained a pound of muscle its more like water
  • angiered, thank you for your straightforward and LOGICAL response. appreciated! :)
  • angiered
    No problem. :)
  • the hole think comes down to if your putting on weight its not muscels its more weight:bigsmile: even if i would like to say i gained a pound of muscle its more like water

There are many many many many variables in the weight we carry. Some of it is water, some of it is muscle, some of it is fat, some is waste, our organs, etc etc etc.

We CAN gain a pound of muscle (multiples of pounds actually), especially if someone is seriously hitting the gym and focusing on weights.

BUT

The way gaining muscle works is that we literally tear our muscles when we over stretch them by lifting heavier weights. When we rip the muscles like that, our muscles let out chemicals or hormones like lactic acid and one called CPK. This production could possibly be the cause of a minute weight gain, but most likely you're right, weight gain is more likely to be caused by water retention (which can happen with exercise).

The important thing is to know your body, don't weigh in more than once a week since our bodies are constantly in flux. When you gain, instead of assuming its water weight or "muscle gain" (which does not happen that quickly), go back over your food diary, look at what you ate. Take a look at your reports. Did you eat a lot of salt, processed foods, etc? Maybe that's causing water retention. If it is, and you eat better this week, then you will most likely lose that pound and get back on track. I can't count the amount of times people in my group have flipped out one week about gaining a pound and then next week came back and were like, "OMG! I lost the pound I gained plus some!"

Remember. Weight Loss = Calories Out > Calories In

And the number really -isn't- everything. Even if you're retaining water, or not losing as quickly as you would like, take a look at your inches instead. Muscle does NOT WEIGH more than fat, it is simply denser, which means it takes up less room for the SAME amount of weight.

A good way to notice if you're gaining muscle and not losing weight is your inches. If you're losing inches, you're losing fat.
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    It all depends on how you look at it. Yes, one pound of fat and one pound of muscle weigh the same, but one square inch of fat weighs LESS than one square inch of muscle. This is generally what people are reffering to on this site. If you were to lose 30 lbs of fat and gain 30 lbs of muscle you would lose a significant number of inches, even though your weight would remain the same.

i envy anyone who could do this lol
  • angiered
    i envy anyone who could do this lol

Me too!!!! :laugh: :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.