Pls. look at my food&Exercise diary...What's WRONG?!?

Options

Replies

• ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    IMO you should try and shoot for more protein and less carbs. i dont see a ton of fresh veggies in there.. try and stick with getting a lot more fresh veggies in there, and having that be your main carb source. if you eat all those wonderful fresh veggies, you wont need so many supplements bc your body will get all it needs from the foods you eat.

good luck!
  • lcn1220
    lcn1220 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Just from a quick look through your diary:

Supplements are no substitute for real food. Instead of the ready made vegetarian stuff eat actual vegetables, legumes, dairy. Instead of juice, eat the actual fruit. Be mindful of your liquid calories--you're not getting the best bang for your buck there. Your protein values are a bit low, and you do like your carbs. My suggestion would be to mix those two macros i.e. instead of eating simple snack type carbs have a piece of whole wheat bread and some cottage cheese. Don't just eat carbs by themselves. Overall, adding more proteins and veggies will help you feel more sated, and you might see better results.

Hope this helps you some.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of supplements, and not a great deal of protein. I would say up the protein eat less pre-processed food - make it yourself if you have the time, otherwise I do understand pre-processed meals.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You guys so rock...Thanks yet again!

I drink that orange juice because I mix it with the Amazing Grass Barley, Wheatgrass & Alfalfa grass...it taste like dirt, but is almost yummy mixed in the O.J.

Also, because you good folks have mentioned adding protein, I'm re-starting my Hemp Protein power drink again too, to help with making sure I get more protein. I'm not a vegetarian, vegan...I don't like to label myself--but I'm just not digging meat and diary--I just don't like it/my system doesn't like it--so that's why I need to take these supplements in lieu of eating beef, lamb and pork, pultry and diary. I do LOVE fish and seafood though. I really don't like chicken either, but will eat it sometimes and I also eat eggs too. Again, I'll eat them (meat and diary) if and when I want to...but I just don't want to/don't like to eat them (the way they taste and make me feel after wards) most times.

Let me say once more...I SO appreciate this advice. I'm feeling so encouraged and inspired--thank you ALL for your no-holds barred comments--{{{ Hugs}}}} I LOVE and NEED and WANT them:flowerforyou:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

Cobaltis said;
    "Macros" are the required Protein, Carbs and Fats you should be eating per day.
    Type "calculating macros" on Google and check out bodybuilding.com, but typically you calculate your calories you want to consumer per day, calculate the amount of protein and fats your body needs depending on goals etc and the rest go to carbs. MFP by default goes to an extremely low protein and fat value if you work out. They are the building blocks for your joints and muscles, they aid in recovery and building strength as well as lubricating joints to prevent pain.

:drinker: WHAT???!!!????

Oh you so ROCK sir!!!! ""Macros" are the required Protein, Carbs and Fats you should be eating per day. "

Duh!!!!!!! By George! I think I got it now....thank you so much--YAY--I understand now....Thank you also for the websites and info too :flowerforyou: Also, no I'm not exactly sure...one of my Mfp sisters has recommended me getting the fitbit and/or heart-rate monitor, which I haven't done yet...got get one of those bad boys soon (or body bug thingy too).
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options

I drink that orange juice because I mix it with the Amazing Grass Barley, Wheatgrass & Alfalfa grass...it taste like dirt, but is almost yummy mixed in the O.J.

Also, because you good folks have mentioned adding protein, I'm re-starting my Hemp Protein power drink again too, to help with making sure I get more protein. I'm not a vegetarian, vegan...I don't like to label myself--but I'm just not digging meat and diary--I just don't like it/my system doesn't like it--so that's why I need to take these supplements in lieu of eating beef, lamb and pork and diary. I really don't like chicken either, but will eat it sometimes and I also eat eggs too. Again, I'll eat them (meat and diary) if and when I want to...but I just don't want to/don't like to eat them (the way they taste and make me feel after wards) most times.

Let me say once more...I SO appreciate this advice. I'm feeling so encouraged and inspired--thank you ALL for your no-holds barred comments--{{{ Hugs}}}} I LOVE and NEED and WANT them:flowerforyou:

I eat mostly plant-based too, and get plenty of protein for my body. Yes, a hemp or a pea protein smoothie once in a while helps out, but eat beans, nuts, tofu, tempeh and you can do fine. I do try to steer away from the more processed vegetarian foods because they're too high in sodium and too much salt stalls my loss for sure.

Feel free to look through my diary (although I took about a 2 week break and just recommitted yesterday so take that in mind if you do!). And feel free to friend me if you like. I can always use more. :smile:

Oh, as to exercise, I tend to eat back 50-80% of my exercise calories on average but mostly I try to listen to my body. If it needs more food it usually lets me know! LOL!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

Also, because you good folks have mentioned adding protein, I'm re-starting my Hemp Protein power drink again too, to help with making sure I get more protein. I'm not a vegetarian, vegan...I don't like to label myself--but I'm just not digging meat and diary--I just don't like it/my system doesn't like it--so that's why I need to take these supplements in lieu of eating beef, lamb and pork and diary. I really don't like chicken either, but will eat it sometimes and I also eat eggs too. Again, I'll eat them (meat and diary) if and when I want to...but I just don't want to/don't like to eat them (the way they taste and make me feel after wards) most times.

I eat mostly plant-based too, and get plenty of protein for my body. Yes, a hemp or a pea protein smoothie once in a while helps out, but eat beans, nuts, tofu, tempeh and you can do fine. I do try to steer away from the more processed vegetarian foods because they're too high in sodium and too much salt stalls my loss for sure.

Feel free to look through my diary (although I took about a 2 week break and just recommitted yesterday so take that in mind if you do!). And feel free to friend me if you like. I can always use more. :smile:

Oh, as to exercise, I tend to eat back 50-80% of my exercise calories on average but mostly I try to listen to my body. If it needs more food it usually lets me know! LOL!

Thank you! How do you get passed the low NET Calories when you don't eat all your exercise calories. When I don't it looks like I'm not eating enough and the Net Cals look low. I'm not so much concerned for myself--but low net cals seems to make other Mfp peeps go bonkers with worry, concern or contempt or something.

How does one/you not eat all of their exercise cals and still make your Net Cals or are you not concerns with Net Cals.

I'm asking you, but would love to hear from everyone on this isssue.
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your height/weight, activity level, and goals are, but here's some generic advice:

1) If you don't have one already, get a food scale. Weigh and measure everything. Even if you use measuring cups, you can be off by quite a bit.

2) Eat back no more than 3/4 of your exercise calories. This is to account for the fact that a lot of these burn estimates are exaggerations. I think I saw 800+ burns in there for exercise, which raises a red flag. And don't try to log every single movement (e.g., walk to the mailbox, washing dishes, etc.). I know it can be tempting so that you can eat more, but doing this can cause you to eat/above at your actual TDEE instead of under. It's best to give yourself a bit of a buffer to make up for some of the estimation error. (If you use a HRM, it is likely more accurate, but make sure you still add in NET calories-- total calories burned minus nonexercise TDEE). And if you are on a plan where you eat back calories, make sure your activity level is set to sedentary. *

3) Have reasonable and realistic goals. According to your ticker (20-30 lbs to lose), I would suggest aiming for 0.5-1 lbs of weight loss per week. Also realize that weight loss is non-linear. You will often lose in "whooshes" --sometimes no loss for 3 weeks followed by 1-2 pounds overnight. Be consistent but patient.

4) Try to avoid letting your exercise effect your non-exercise energy expenditure. E.g., don't think "I exercised today, so I don't need to take the stairs." or "I earned a lazy Sunday because I worked out." etc. Exercise should be an addition to your normal routine, not a replacement. If you find that your exercise is making you too tired to do things you normally would, you can always back off a bit. Shorten your exercise and add on to the time or intensity *gradually* to give your body time to adjust. You're more likely to stick with it this way, too.

5) Eat mainly whole foods instead of supplements. This way you can get more familiar/comfortable with a healthy lifestyle (not diet) and really learn what a "proper" portion size is, etc. Why do you think so many that do shake diets gain all the weight back right away? Weighing food for a while will help you with portioning as well. If you're trying to eat from mainly vegetarian sources, I would suggest educating yourself on the diet over dependency on supplements (which get to be expensive). You shouldn't have much problems with deficiencies if you plan your diet well. E.g., I almost never eat read meat but have more than enough iron from regularly eating leafy greens, tofu, lentils, etc.

6) Increase your protein. Carbs and fat may need to go down. A good setting for most on a diet is 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. You don't need to eat red meat and dairy to increase your protein. Tempeh, seitan, tofu, lentils/beans, eggs, fish, etc are all good sources. If you eat fish 4X a week, you probably won't get much benefit from the fish oil supplement.

*I know you asked about not wanting to keep your net calories low. My answer to that is that having a reasonable weekly goal (3) should allow you to eat enough. If you are worried about "how it looks on paper," just log the exercise that you did for 3/4 of the time. Or create your own exercise. I personally wouldn't worry too much about some busy-body thinking I didn't eat enough based on my NET, but that's just me. :-)
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Track sodium for awhile and stay under 1500! See what happens! Good luck!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would add sodium into your mix there a lot of those items from stir fry to soy sauce and jimmy dean is a lot sodium. Also watch your fat content. All those creamers are gonna hurt you.

I would also mess with your macros a bit to change it up. Also what is your height and weight -- you seem that you are set at 1500 cals a day?
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    If you don't do it already - lift weights. My weight loss slowed down after about 10 weeks and I read in a thread how someones weight loss plateau ended when they started lifting heavy weights. It won't turn you into a man {{{burppppp}}} or make you look manly {{{fart}}} but if your exercise type is a factor in your weight loss slowdown (and our rate of burn slows as we get lighter) lifting will help shift this because you will be challenging your body to get fit in a discipline it is not used to.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Honestly, more protein and a less carbs in my opinion. Also you are eating soy and soy messes with hormones like your thyroid which regulates metabolism. Soy blocks iodine which is only absorbed in the thyroid. This caused me a lot of weight gain in the past, if I were you I would look into it. There is coconut milk ice cream if you can't have dairy and other options.
  • jacquerd
    jacquerd Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    dont eat back all your exercise calories, it ends up that u havnt exercised at all, i thought the whole point was to burn more calories than we are eating or at least try! and thats how you lose weight! am i totally wrong here!!

Yes you are totally wrong - so please don't send people down the wrong path.

OP, I would offer a couple of pieces of advice that may help you:

1. Change up your routine. If you have had success doing the same type of exercise and eating the same types of foods, there will come a point where the progress will slow dramatically. Remember that your body craves homeostasis and it wants to hold on to the fat - sometimes you need to change things up to kick start the fat loss again.

As for exercising, I suggest absolutely everyone includes some form of weight training or resistance exercise in their routine. It has a heap of benefits, including increased metabolism, increased bone density & strength etc.

2. Looking at the breakdown of your diet, I would suggest playing with your macros a little (more protein and less carbs specifically). Don't get me wrong, I love me some carbs and I'm not going to preach paleo, but some more protein might be a good idea.

DITTO ON ALL! Especially on not eating back your exercise calories. YES YOU SHOULD!! The bottom line is Calories in vs. calories out, whether this is caloric restriction or calories burned. Eat more to weigh less. Sounds crazy, but true. You should get to the point where you are HUNGRY and want to eat about every three hours. This means your metabolism is working. I can set the clock by my stomach. I plan ahead and do my best not to get stuck somewhere without food.

Weight training is KEY! Muscle builds metabolism!

All of this being said, don't be married to the scale. Take your measurements. I weighed the same for over six months, yet went down two pant sizes. :) GOOD LUCK!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Honestly, more protein and a less carbs in my opinion. Also you are eating soy and soy messes with hormones like your thyroid which regulates metabolism. Soy blocks iodine which is only absorbed in the thyroid. This caused me a lot of weight gain in the past, if I were you I would look into it. There is coconut milk ice cream if you can't have dairy and other options.

I don't entirely agree with this. Some people are more sensitive to soy than others, just like some have reactions to dairy. If you think you're sensitive, you could try eliminating for a month or even two and see what happens (so I do agree it could be something to look into if you think you might be sensitive. For some that means almost never eating it, for others it just means limiting it).

However, when it comes to soy I do think it's prudent to a) only buy organic, otherwise it's very likely to be genetically modified and b) try to stick to the least processed soy (and don't make it the center of your diet) - tempeh and miso are good, tofu's a step down (it's a little more processed), and milk, ice cream, faux meats should be occasional treats.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Thank you! How do you get passed the low NET Calories when you don't eat all your exercise calories. When I don't it looks like I'm not eating enough and the Net Cals look low. I'm not so much concerned for myself--but low net cals seems to make other Mfp peeps go bonkers with worry, concern or contempt or something.

How does one/you not eat all of their exercise cals and still make your Net Cals or are you not concerns with Net Cals.

I'm asking you, but would love to hear from everyone on this isssue.

I would say realize that everything is estimated. Obviously you can get closer estimates on some things than others, but especially exercise calories can be overestimated (particularly if you are using MFP's or a machine's estimates). So eating 50% is a safe bet and even up to 75% is likely to leave you in a very safe range of preserving your deficit. Some people do eat 100% and are successful, just realize it's okay to work within a range and find a good balance while still being healthy.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Everyone is focusing on diet, pretty much. Forget that (well, not completely, of course!). While your food diary may have some issues, your exercise diary is more the issue, IMO. I don't think you're working hard enough, sorry! You've gotten some good advice on adding in some weight training....and I think walking is great, but pick up the pace a bit. :wink: I don't know what your current weight is, but if it's not of physical danger to you, walk as fast as you can or ever throw in some little jogging intervals to start. I'm 45, have a really rocky ankle, so when I started trying to do that, I looked pretty scary I'm sure. I probably still look scary, but it feels a lot better and I can actually almost sort of run! :tongue:

I will ditto the "get a heartrate monitor or Bodymedia FIT or BodyBugg (etc!)" advice too. That said, I didn't have any of that when I started on here, and lost weight using MFP's estimates, even though I found out they were high when I did get a HRM.

Good luck on your journey!
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You're right that some people are more sensitive than others, I, apparantly am very sensitive to it and blame most of my wt. gain on it and thyroid issues (I was vegetarian at one time). So any time I see anyone struggle with wt. loss who are doing the right thing, and the one issue I see is soy, then it is good advice, as you said to try eliminating it for a couple/few months and see if anything happens. That's the thing with soy, you don't feel the results right away, you don't feel bad after you eat it, this is something that happens slowly and subtly behind the scenes. So it may be worth eliminating, trying coconut milk, coconut products as a replacer (there's egg protien powder, rice protein powder, hemp protein, etc).

Right now I'm trying an experiment as well with almonds. I eat them raw daily and raw almond butter but I have had a couple months of stalls. I found out they also block iodine to the thyroid (I have thyroid issues obviously) and therefore are considered a goitrogen like soy. So I've eliminated the almonds, and I am losing again.

So yes, experiment experiment, read up on it, research etc. you will always find people that say it's good for you, fine, wonderful (doctors, etc) and others who say it is not. Yes, if one does decide to continue soy it should absolutely be properly prepared, soy milk is the worst (GMO, estrogenic, pesticide-laden, overly processed, not a real food), and the tofu from the grocery store. Miso is good for you if fermented properly.

I don't entirely agree with this. Some people are more sensitive to soy than others, just like some have reactions to dairy. If you think you're sensitive, you could try eliminating for a month or even two and see what happens (so I do agree it could be something to look into if you think you might be sensitive. For some that means almost never eating it, for others it just means limiting it).

However, when it comes to soy I do think it's prudent to a) only buy organic, otherwise it's very likely to be genetically modified and b) try to stick to the least processed soy (and don't make it the center of your diet) - tempeh and miso are good, tofu's a step down (it's a little more processed), and milk, ice cream, faux meats should be occasional treats.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I don't think adding another supplement (protein shake) is what you need to do. You need to be adding actual food. I was vegan for about 6 years, sold supplements in a natural foods store for 5 years before becoming a nurse, and never in my life have I taken or recommended to anyone else that they take the amount of supplements you at consuming daily. People used to ask me what I "took" when they would come into the store, and I would point to the huge organic produce section. Always try to meet your dietary needs through food before adding any supplements. I would also recommend that you have a separate section in your diary for supplements and not add them in with meals. To look at your diary, it looks full, one would think there are meals and food written in there. However, most of it is pills and powder. I think it would be beneficial for you to see what actual food you have consumed throughout the day rather than just a bunch of words. Does that make sense, or am I just rambling?? And I agree with the others that are saying eat more, fresher food, more protein, etc.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I don't think adding another supplement (protein shake) is what you need to do. You need to be adding actual food. I was vegan for about 6 years, sold supplements in a natural foods store for 5 years before becoming a nurse, and never in my life have I taken or recommended to anyone else that they take the amount of supplements you at consuming daily. People used to ask me what I "took" when they would come into the store, and I would point to the huge organic produce section. Always try to meet your dietary needs through food before adding any supplements. I would also recommend that you have a separate section in your diary for supplements and not add them in with meals. To look at your diary, it looks full, one would think there are meals and food written in there. However, most of it is pills and powder. I think it would be beneficial for you to see what actual food you have consumed throughout the day rather than just a bunch of words. Does that make sense, or am I just rambling?? And I agree with the others that are saying eat more, fresher food, more protein, etc.

Absolutely it does make sense and thanks so much for posting.

The supplements I take, I take with food or homemade THICK shakes or orange juice. Thanks to the advice I'm getting here, I'm starting to forsake taking my Amazing Grass Alfalfa grass, wheatgrass & barley grass drink with my thick coconut milk drinks.

The supplements I take with my morning breakfast (just writing about them in case folk wanna know what the blue blazes these things are:laugh:

Solaray - Super Bio C Buffered (this is 1000 mg vitamin C that I found out about from here/Mfp). I've recently been suffering from plantar fasciitis (from over exercising) and someone on here said they took these and the pain stopped right away. I've been taking these for about a week and can vouche/attest that these bad boys work...the pain from my PF is virtually gone, after the first day of trying them. They are buffered, so they release slowly thru out the day.

Jarrow Formulas - Methyl B-12 1000...these are B-12 vitamins and help with a b-12 deficiency I have/had.

Megafood Women Over 40 One A Day Vitamin - Vitamin, 1 tablet...these are totally food based daily vitamins for older chicks like me :wink:

Jarrow Formulas - Curcumin 95,... Anti-Inflammatory. Curcumin is an extract from TUMERIC. I've been doing a LOT of activities such as Tae Kwon Do, league bowling and exercising in general, and because I'm no longer a spring chicken, i've been getting a lot of aches and pains in my legs and feet like crazy...this supplement helps in miraculous ways. I take these supplements in lieu or advil, motrin and medicines like that. These work of me big time--I love it!

New Chapter - Wholemega (Extra Virgin Wild Alaskan Salmon) Whole Fish Oil 1000mg, 1 softgels: These is a high quality fish oil and goes well/helps the Curcumin 95.

American Health - Chewable Acidophilus With Bifidus...these are probiotics and I take them 3 times per day

Nutrition Now - Calcium Fruit Chews, 1 chew: These are calcium/vitamin D chews...I'm an older women and need these as well.

I do not do diary, meats and things on a regular basis and don't want to. I THANK GOD people here have recommended getting my protein from beans (which I hate...grew up on beans and rice and rice and beans and hate them (including lentils) with a passion. LOVE nuts, but can eat a half of a horse worth and they are so fattening--I tend to eat just a bit, because I LOVE them and could eat a house full. so, it seems like a lot of supplements, but it's not really to me..because I take them once per day (except the probiotics) and always with food.

That said..I am NOT disputing your word, just shedding a bit more light and will still take your advice with JOY and GLADNESS and appreciation too. I'm wrong about a lot of stuff and may well be wrong here as well. Thanks again!!!!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    You're right that some people are more sensitive than others, I, apparantly am very sensitive to it and blame most of my wt. gain on it and thyroid issues (I was vegetarian at one time). So any time I see anyone struggle with wt. loss who are doing the right thing, and the one issue I see is soy, then it is good advice, as you said to try eliminating it for a couple/few months and see if anything happens. That's the thing with soy, you don't feel the results right away, you don't feel bad after you eat it, this is something that happens slowly and subtly behind the scenes. So it may be worth eliminating, trying coconut milk, coconut products as a replacer (there's egg protien powder, rice protein powder, hemp protein, etc).

Right now I'm trying an experiment as well with almonds. I eat them raw daily and raw almond butter but I have had a couple months of stalls. I found out they also block iodine to the thyroid (I have thyroid issues obviously) and therefore are considered a goitrogen like soy. So I've eliminated the almonds, and I am losing again.

So yes, experiment experiment, read up on it, research etc. you will always find people that say it's good for you, fine, wonderful (doctors, etc) and others who say it is not. Yes, if one does decide to continue soy it should absolutely be properly prepared, soy milk is the worst (GMO, estrogenic, pesticide-laden, overly processed, not a real food), and the tofu from the grocery store. Miso is good for you if fermented properly.

WOW!!!! This is most excellent info...that you guys soooo much. Yes, soy is and/or can reek all kinds of yuck in one's system for sure The soy I eat is organic, and most/well--some/a lot :tongue: of the foods I eat are organic. Thanks for this info...it's so important and wonderful to know!