Trying Arnica Gel, anyone else?

Options
Trying this stuff called Arnica Gel today. It is supposed to relieve muscle soreness, so after the last three days at the gym I am applying it to my left side so I can compare it to my right. Its natural, made from some mountain flower, but unless it really helps it wouldn't be worth the 2-3 times a day application. Anyone else ever heard or experimented with it?

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I haven't used it but know some people who swear by it
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I love that you're making yourself a science experiment. I do the same thing with face creams. :tongue:

Let us know how it works for you!
  • TheGsMama
    TheGsMama Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use it all the time. Love it.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I use the gel for more "trauma" types of things (bruises) but will take the Arnica sublingual (tiny pellets, under the tongue) after really tough workouts. It seems to keep me from getting too sore. I believe.

Another thing that I know some folks use is spray-on magnesium. It can kind of itch, so spray on, leave on for 20 minutes or so (enough time to absorb) and then rinse it off. I've had mixed results with it. I prefer the arnica.

Of course the clinical science isn't truly solid for either of these, but my feeling is that if it works for ya, then keep doing it (even if it is a placebo effect; placebo effect can be very, very stong and beneficial!)
  • Robotscallmecoty
    Robotscallmecoty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do some heavy lifting and usually I don't really get sore but since I'm just getting back into working out and I haven't taken a break for 3 days I am pretty much sore all over. Figured it would be a good time to try it out for muscle soreness. I assume since soreness is mostly due to acid in the muscles that it should have either a base effect and neutralize the acid or maybe just work as a topical pain killer. I personally don't mind soreness so much at first but by the end of the day I have had enough. It just reminds me on my rest days that I have been doing something positive.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    is this homeopathy? the kind where they grind the herb down and dilute with a special water until all that's left is one molecule with "energy" that heals?

pass! homeopathy is bunk science. :) just saying.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I was given it in pill form when I had to have surgery, and my massage therapist now uses it as well. I have no idea if it works really, but i have to get deep tissue massages alot, and am rarely sore from them

she did suggest i start using biofreeze at home though, which i am a fan of
  • pinkwhisk
    pinkwhisk Posts: 41
    Options
    It works, but is more beneficial for bruises in my opinion
  • Robotscallmecoty
    Robotscallmecoty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I haven''t noticed an effect at all. Maybe its just too deep.
  • notarealname
    Options
    I'm using Arnica Oil I got from http://sopeshop.com/arnica it is a concentrate and works really well.