Kale- What's it like?

Options

Replies

• RejoicingL
    RejoicingL Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love kale juiced!!!

Cut out the ribs, chop into tiny bits, then add to whatever you are cooking. I especially like it over pasta or in scrambled eggs.

I've heard kale chips are delicious, but we never have enough of it around to try!
  • Dreamerryu27
    Dreamerryu27 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I juice it along with carrots/apple/and a cucumber Yummy!
  • adry20
    adry20 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I juice it or add it to my smoothies. You can't really taste it in smoothies, that's why I use it that way lol.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Kale's a lot like spinach and collard greens, both of which I love. I prefer to boil it, usually with a dash of salt, and just eat it. Asa with spinach, I've also been known to chop it up and mix it with pasta dishes.
  • CRIMSONCRUISERS
    CRIMSONCRUISERS Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use it in a smoothie in place of spinach.....I think it has a better taste than spinach, although in the same family of greens:wink:
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    OMG KALE CHIPS! sprinkle with a tiny bit of oil and sea salt and bake for a long time on low temp (~200F) till the leaves are crunchy. The stems go from gross to crunchy deliciousness.

I also love it sautéd with onions and garlic and spaghetti squash - I steam the kale then sauté it with the other stuff.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It's really thick, almost sharp. I find it so fibrous and chewy it's impossible to eat raw. However, when I was in Morocco, a woman we stayed with prepared kale by chopping it finely, sauteeing it in olive oil with salt and pepper, and serving it with fresh whole grain bread. It was one of the best things I've ever eaten.

I've always been a veggie lover but I just can't do raw kale...
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It depends on how it's cooked/or not cooked. Try it several ways before you decide if you like it. My mother brutalized it when I was a child - boiled it to death then mixed it with salt and vinegar. I don't know why. I worked up the nerve to try kale chips - sprayed with olive oil and lightly sprinkled with powdered ranch dip mix then baked until crisp. I loved it! I can eat kale raw now. Be brave!
  • dedication6
    dedication6 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered too!! I'm gonna try it.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I have a large wok which assists greatly in accomplishing two goals:

1. Eating more leafy green vegetables.
    2. Not wasting the large amounts of leafy green vegetables I receive from my farm share every week.

I simply take a bit of meat (chicken, sausage, whatever floats your boat) and stir-fry it in the wok until cooked. Pour off any liquid, and dump a TON (fill the wok!) of leafies on there, you can use whatever you want - even romaine or a good leafy lettuce works! Put the lid on the wok and steam it for a few minutes, stirring the leaves around occasionally. You'll get a lot of water you might need to pour off once or twice.

When the leaves are limp, it's done. Pour off the last bit of water, add seasonings, and serve. I plate it and sprinkle grated cheese over it while it's still piping hot.
  • dmlover76
    dmlover76 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with sistasledge's recipe. I add a little ground pepper to it too.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I buy it at the organic store ..... wash well & get rid of the long "rib" .... rip up or chop up ...... I add to soups, stews .... even put it into chili .... my hubby would have a heart attack if he knew, but he thought it was great :drinker:
  • proctorcj
    proctorcj Posts: 31
    Options
    I juice it...My juice contain Kale, Carrots, an apple, piece of ginger knuckle, a lemon and a cucumber.

Delicious LOL : )~
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I like roasting it like chips. I'm not a fan of it sauteed, and I usually like greens.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Kale is great in a salad or wrap instead of lettuce. It's also good chopped and mixed into sauces, soups or stews. Or it makes a great side dish. Some peopl e steam it, but I like it best sauted in olive oil with garlic. Mushrooms or almond slivers are great additions too.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    To me it's like a tougher cabbage. Some preparations to try -

1. 'Cooked' in citrus - massage fresh lemon juice in it
    2. Baked - toss with some olive oil and bake
    3. Greens & Beans
    4. It holds up real well in soups too

If you're NOT juicing it, make sure to separate the leaves from the spine/rib that goes up the middle. It's pretty tough and not good eats.
  • emmeline79
    Options
    I've been putting it in my smoothies as well, couple leaves of kale, 1/2 a banana, handful of strawberries and some shake mix and it's a great way to start the day!
  • jillbeanschoop
    jillbeanschoop Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have to put in a vote for the several kale chip recipies already posted. I make kale chips and then put them in a bowl on the kitchen counter. Even my 10 year old daughter grabs a chip here and there as she walks by (of course not my "I hate green things" son.). It's a nice, low-cal snack to have on the counter.
  • apehl
    apehl Posts: 13
    Options
    I love raw kale in salads. The leaves can be chewy but if you take time to prepare it, it's delicious! Remove the leaves from the stem, and drizzle about 1 T of olive oil and massage the kale for about a minute. It helps it to break down and soften. I also love that a kale salad will keep in the fridge for a few days, most salads usually wilt but this is great to make ahead of time and have for lunch throughout the week!

Awesome recipe: http://realgirlskitchen.com/2011/10/21/rgk-cherry-kale-salad/