Can you lose your muscle tone in a week?

Options
2»

Replies

• mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    You're not going to gain muscle with 30DS so no, you haven't lost what you didn't gain ;)

Chances are, your muscles were inflamed and retaining water from the strenuous workouts. With a week off they returned back to normal.

Umm... You should check my results from doing 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30 if you truly believe you don't gain muscle. You are so totally wrong...

most likely if you did gain any it was minimal, what you did do was burn the fat on top of the muscle to make it more visible, and your muscles would have been swol (retaining water) due to the workouts which give the appearance of larger muscles. The weight you do in 30DS is no where near enough to actually increase muscle mass. These are cardio workouts using light weights, not strength training routines.

You believe what you like. I know what I see. I have increased my protein in the time I've been doing the workouts (since April) and have very visibly changed my arms & shoulders. I have "guns" now, and while I know that I had *a* muscle there before or my arm wouldn't move (duh), it's noticeably larger. So... shrug... You believe what you like and I'll believe what I'm seeing. By the way, there is strength training involved, though it's not anything close to heavy lifting, it's still strength training.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Not in a week. It's in your head.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    you lose muscle tone very fast.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I have recently been very sick with flu type and now I have pnuemonia so I can't do my workouts. I had been doing 30 DS and was feeling so good and addicted to my workout.

My question is this, I lost more weight but feel flabbier..Could I have lost what I muscle I had gained in such a short time or is it in my head.

Whatever the case, you will be back to normal once you recover and can get on with your training. Any benefits you gained from training before do not suddenly disappear, but your main concern should be to get well now and then once you have done that you can get back into it and within a week it will be as if you had never had that break.
  • mariposa224
    Options
    You're not going to gain muscle with 30DS so no, you haven't lost what you didn't gain ;)

Chances are, your muscles were inflamed and retaining water from the strenuous workouts. With a week off they returned back to normal.

Umm... You should check my results from doing 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30 if you truly believe you don't gain muscle. You are so totally wrong...

Oh really - so what was the total weight of muscle gained? I'm assuming you used some method of measuring muscle mass to make a claim like that. I'm genuinely curious, I could see maybe a pound or two realistically. But probably zero.

I can't give you the answer you'd like as I don't know what my muscle/fat ratio was prior to starting with 30DS in April, so I'm sure anything I say further will just have you going on about me not knowing anything, so I'll just drop it and say that I know what my body looked like, how my muscles felt, and I know what they look like and how they feel now. My arms, both biceps and triceps and shoulders all for sure have changed considerably.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    A female can gain, at absolute maximum, up to about 2.5lbs of muscle in one month.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Oh really - so what was the total weight of muscle gained? I'm assuming you used some method of measuring muscle mass to make a claim like that. I'm genuinely curious, I could see maybe a pound or two realistically. But probably zero.

I can't give you the answer you'd like as I don't know what my muscle/fat ratio was prior to starting with 30DS in April, so I'm sure anything I say further will just have you going on about me not knowing anything, so I'll just drop it and say that I know what my body looked like, how my muscles felt, and I know what they look like and how they feel now. My arms, both biceps and triceps and shoulders all for sure have changed considerably.

That's fine and you should be proud of your progress. Just don't try to make claims that aren't true. Especially by falsely "correcting" someone who already gave a correct answer. Lots of people read these forums, that's how misinformation gets spread around.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Yes, atrophy can occur that fast. It occurs within 24 hrs of hospitalization (assuming you're bedbound). This has been studied. You will find the primary studies on PubMed/Medline.

I'm a physician, btw.

THIS ^
  • mariposa224
    Options

That's fine and you should be proud of your progress. Just don't try to make claims that aren't true. Especially by falsely "correcting" someone who already gave a correct answer. Lots of people read these forums, that's how misinformation gets spread around.

I almost replied with something as snarky as how what you said came off, but I'll refrain. Though my fingers do not want to listen to my own sage advice...
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Yes, atrophy can occur that fast. It occurs within 24 hrs of hospitalization (assuming you're bedbound). This has been studied. You will find the primary studies on PubMed/Medline.

I'm a physician, btw.

Can you describe the conditions under which muscular atrophy can occur this quickly? Not being a jerk, just interested
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great replies!
    I hope that as someone said that the strength will come back soon after I can start working out again.