Ideas for healthy lunches to go

Options
Frost
Frost Posts: 312 Member
Hey All-I haven't been on here in months! My new housemate works a very active outdoor job and needs ideas for healthy lunches that do not need to be microwaved. She works on average 10-12 hour shifts. Snacks and a main meal need to be in her lunch. Any ideas? Sandwiches get old.

Replies

• boreedken
    Options
    Salad with grilled chicken. (I marinate & grill several chicken breasts at a timem )then put them in separate ziploc baggies.) This is a healthy dressing that we love.
    ~~Sugar Free French Dressing~~
    1/2 c. olive oil
    3/4 c. honey
    1/4 t. salt
    1/2 t. Worcestershire
    1/3 c. homemade ketchup
    1/4 t. onion salt
    1/4 c. Braggs cider vinegar if you have otherwise regular Apple cider will work fine
    1 T. or so chopped onion.

I just put this all in the blender & blend on high. Increase/decrease ingred. to taste. Rob doesn't like the vinegar taste so I use less for him.

~~Easy Breezy Homemade Ketchup~~
    6 oz. organic tomato paste (I think you could use real tomatoes & not use the water, but I haven't tried it yet)
    1/2 c. honey
    1/8 c. white vinegar
    1/8 c. white balsamic vinegar
    1/2 c. water
    1 t. salt
    1/4 t. onion (finely chopped or can use powder)
    1/8 t. garlic powder

Just put in a small sauce pan & let simmer for 20 min. or so until the ingred. are blended well.

~~Delicious Chicken Marinade~~
    1/3 c. olive oil
    1/3 c. soy sauce
    1/8 c. lemon juice
    1 T. liquid smoke
    1 T. spicy mustard
    1 t. pepper
    1 t. garlic powder
    Put in a large ziploc bag with chicken & Marinade up to 4 hours. Does not have to be that long if you are short on time. I use this amt. of marinade for 6 chicken breasts.

For snacks, I buy a frozen triple berry mix. Put them frozen in a bowl in the morning & add honey to sweeten. By lunch they are yummy!

Make a smoothie out of Kefir, berries & honey, I blend these together at home first. Then put in something with a lid that you can shake before you drink.

Egg salad on Sprouted Bread (found in the frozen section) is so Good. Add fresh sprouts on your egg salad or lettuce.
    Boiled eggs
    celery
    salt
    pepper
    Omega 3 mayonnaise
    mustard

Celery sticks with peanut butter

Hope some of these ideas help. :smile:
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Can she take a thermos with her? If yes - Progresso makes some really good light soups - many are less than 200 calories for the entire can. They have a chicken dumpling that is to die for.
  • Keegiejae
    Keegiejae Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Dr. McDougall's makes some awesome to-go soups that are usually very reasonable calorie counts, but also have lots of fiber and protein, which I find lacking in many soups. Keeps you filled up for hours!