Trying to maintain but still loosing. Help?

Options
Hi, I've been doing this for about three years now and I have managed to loose 110 lbs. I've went from a size 22 to a size 2 in the course of about three years now! My problem is I don't need to loose anymore weight but I still am. I do exercise just about everyday just so I never come close to going over calorie goal daily. Its like a failure to me if I would go over in calories any day or even come close to it. I do about 25 to 30 minutes of sit ups, do anywhere from 30 to and hours worth elliptical then in the evening I run outside at around a 6 mph pace for about 30 minutes then walk at a 4 mph pace for another 30. I know I exercise probubly more than most people in a day. I'm addicted to running. Its so mind clearing. Most of my friends and relatives think I'm becoming the awful "A'" word (anorexic) but I assure them I DO eat. Just check out my diary, you'll see especially my snacks at night. I eat a big bowl of fresh fruit and canned fruit (in its own juice never syrup) and cottage cheese every night. I had a good friend tell me over the weekend that when she saw me back in March since she'd saw me for a while she thought I had been sick and now she too is afraid I'm becoming the dreaded "A" word and my aunt was standing close and heard her and she said thats what everyones afraid of. I said how can I be that when I do eat. People with "A" don't eat. I just need help with how to maintain without loosing anymore weight before my husband has me admitted and hooked up to feeding tubes. LOL No, Really:indifferent:

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Its great that you love to exercise now as a hobby/lifestyle, but you just need to eat more calories to support it. Eat higher calorie density foods if you need to. So, instead of that bowl of fruit, go for peanut butter and banana or something.

After having such a large weight loss, I'm sure you know what you are doing, you just need to find that balance so your intake = output.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You are amazingly consistent, friend! :)

Right now, you have generally around a 700 calorie deficit at the end of the day, which means weight loss, unless there's a metabolic problem. What would happen if you shoot to decrease that deficit to, say, no more than 350 calorie deficit? It'll be your choice to either eat more and/or shave off some exercise time or intensity.

Then once you do that for a few weeks or so and see you are still losing, you can decrease the deficit again, if needed.

I never dreamed that maintenance would be trickier than losing the weight, but I've found it to be so, as well! There's a fine balance between getting lazy and careless on one side and overdoing on the other side. I'm sure you'll get it figured out! :)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You are amazingly consistent, friend! :)

Right now, you have generally around a 700 calorie deficit at the end of the day, which means weight loss, unless there's a metabolic problem. What would happen if you shoot to decrease that deficit to, say, no more than 350 calorie deficit? It'll be your choice to either eat more and/or shave off some exercise time or intensity.

Then once you do that for a few weeks or so and see you are still losing, you can decrease the deficit again, if needed.

I never dreamed that maintenance would be trickier than losing the weight, but I've found it to be so, as well! There's a fine balance between getting lazy and careless on one side and overdoing on the other side. I'm sure you'll get it figured out! :)

I agree, you need to eat more. Congrats on meeting your goal :)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    You know what you need to do. You *need* to gradually increase your calories towards your goal. It doesn't have to happen overnight, but it does need to happen or you will continue losing weight. There isn't any other way for you to avoid losing weight.

You can make a goal like "this week, I will leave no more than 500 calories" and work your way closer.

If you can't get over the feeling of feeling like a failure when you get close to your goal, you might actually need to see a counselor for a bit. The "A" word doesn't need to involve not eating, but also involves prolonged undereating resulting in a weight that is below healthy and normal. If your BMI is under 18.5, you are underweight.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It is a strange adjustment going from losing to maintaining. Not only is exercise addictive, but the challenge of staying within or under calories is addictive, as is seeing progress. But you really do need to either eat more or exercise less. If that's an adjustment you can't make on your own, seek professional help. There's no shame in getting help and it's a lot better to get it before you medically NEED it.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    eat more or exercise less. i am sooo jealous :)
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your exercise diary from Monday for example...running is great but I guess if you are not willing to fuel for it with food then getting on the elliptical too is kind of too much. Try to celebrate your ability to get your 30 minutes + of activity per day and be proud and not keep pushing for more. Perhaps you are gaining strength from the elliptical too and that's why you are doing it? You could try weights instead? I wish you the best of luck and wow you should be really proud of your amazing achievements.
  • Silvergamma
    Silvergamma Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify regarding anorexia, it does involve eating, but typically at large calorie deficits, with very strictly enforced rules about food, and a deep fear of certain foods. It's also ok to type the word out :).

If you enjoy being that active, you need to adjust your caloric intake to meet your body's needs. Go for more calorie dense foods like nuts, avocado, bananas etc. Don't be afraid of healthy fats, your body needs them, and a couple tablespoons of olive oil help pretty much every veggie out there :).

As much as you love working out, you can also look into adding a(an additional) rest day in. Give your body a little more time to heal between workouts.

I think there can be a lot of fear associated with maintaining for folks who have made so much progress. I've only lost ~50 pounds, but I am scared that any amount of slacking, and it's all going to come back. You have to have faith that eating more, seeing a red number from time to time, taking a day off etc, isn't going to totally derail you. You have three years of healthy habits built up. Enjoy living the new life you have worked so hard to achieve :).
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I do exercise just about everyday just so I never come close to going over calorie goal daily. Its like a failure to me if I would go over in calories any day or even come close to it.

At the risk of sounding callous, you already listed what you need to change. If you're so worried about going over but still want to maintain your weight, increase your target calorie goal. At the end of the day, you will need to eat more and/or exercise less.
  • WeekendDM52
    Options
    Hi Mary,

Congratulations on losing the weight- sounds like you have done fab.

I'm a little concerned about your perception of anorexia patients not eating at all and that other people might pick up on it and think the same.

Actually sufferers spend every waking moment thinking, obsessing and worrying about food they eat it; just not enough of it. Many anorexic patients eat three meals a day. I went to school with a girl who ate breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks every day but her calorie intake was low enough that she was hospitalised for low weight.

Re: your predicament- you need to eat more, and enjoy it!

All the best
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been doing this for about three years now and I have managed to loose 110 lbs. I've went from a size 22 to a size 2 in the course of about three years now! My problem is I don't need to loose anymore weight but I still am. I do exercise just about everyday just so I never come close to going over calorie goal daily. Its like a failure to me if I would go over in calories any day or even come close to it. I do about 25 to 30 minutes of sit ups, do anywhere from 30 to and hours worth elliptical then in the evening I run outside at around a 6 mph pace for about 30 minutes then walk at a 4 mph pace for another 30. I know I exercise probubly more than most people in a day. I'm addicted to running. Its so mind clearing. Most of my friends and relatives think I'm becoming the awful "A'" word (anorexic) but I assure them I DO eat. Just check out my diary, you'll see especially my snacks at night. I eat a big bowl of fresh fruit and canned fruit (in its own juice never syrup) and cottage cheese every night. I had a good friend tell me over the weekend that when she saw me back in March since she'd saw me for a while she thought I had been sick and now she too is afraid I'm becoming the dreaded "A" word and my aunt was standing close and heard her and she said thats what everyones afraid of. I said how can I be that when I do eat. People with "A" don't eat. I just need help with how to maintain without loosing anymore weight before my husband has me admitted and hooked up to feeding tubes. LOL No, Really:indifferent:

Might be a stupid question, but have you acually set your calries to maintain, not lose, or are you still eating the same as when you were losing?

Add 100 cals each week, until you stop losing, and then you'll have found your maintenance.
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options

[/qoute]Might be a stupid question, but have you acually set your calries to maintain, not lose, or are you still eating the same as when you were losing?

Add 100 cals each week, until you stop losing, and then you'll have found your maintenance.
    [/quote]
  • s00sh
    s00sh Posts: 91
    Options
    I'm sure that you realize, logically, that you need to be eating more or exercising less in order to stop losing weight. It's obviously an emotional issue for you at this point. Try viewing your body differently. Instead of something that needs to be conquered (which you have already accomplished), it's now something to be loved and nourished properly. Our bodies need proper fueling to run at optimal levels. If it's an problem of feeling too full and not wanting to eat more, try incorporating some more calorie dense foods into your day. Stuff like nuts and nut butters, oils, avocados etc are nutritionally amazing and will boost your daily calorie intake without having to cram yourself full of food.

As everyone said, it's a pretty simple solution - you just have to work hard to get on board with the ideas emotionally.